Oil & ATF Recommendation 2000 Ford Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bitog!

I've just taken possession of a 2000 Ford Taurus. It seems to be running ok.

I need a recommendation for what brand of oil and transmission fluid to use.

Thank you

Evan

Running ok doesn't mean flawless. How many miles are on it? Any signs of oil leakage? What is the climate where you live? Canada is a big place.

Run a good High Mileage oil like Defy or Havoline HM, 5W-30 or 10W-30. Motorcraft filters are cheap and easy. I believe those spec Mercon V fluid. Any auto parts store brand will do, or maybe Maxlife ATF.

Maxlife ATF is great stuff, as is Mag 1 Low-Vis and Peak Synthetic ATF. Unfortunately, Ford wasn't smart enough to install a drain plug in these transmissions, so once you drop the pan, you'll want to replace it with an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug.

Any good 5W30 dino will be fine.
As mentioned, can't go wrong with Motorcraft filters.
I would avoid the HM oils unless you have a leak.
Transmissions are the weak link in that era of Taurus.
Run a namebrand Mercon V transmission fluid.
I would recommend changing it at 30K intervals, the transmissions in those are hard on fluid.
If you have a Vulcan, they are a durable engine. I would recommend changing the cam synchronizer in it if there is any question of the history of the car. Go OEM Motorcraft.
Even though they get a bad rap, I had a 2000 that was going strong on the original engine and transmission at 275K. I know the second owner. It is still running like a champ at 295K.

Car is back specified for 5w20, they run great on that. If consumption goes up you can always switch to a HM 5w30.

Transmission fluid should be Mercon V.

176K in the 3.8 Windstar in my sig. 5W-30 regular dino most of its entire life, consuming about a 1/2 quart in 4,000 miles. Mercon V always and the original transmission is doing fine.

and
welcome2.gif

Kevin

Walmart Supertech Mercon V is fine, about $4.27. Got a 2001 with over 200k at this point. I believe 2000 calls for 5w30, but it's back speced to 5w20. I just typically use 5w20 unless there's some 5w30 on a good clearance, then I just use that in the summer. No need to do anything crazy at this point like putting in a drain plug. It is after all 15 years old. The transmission had a reusable gasket, but it might have been replaced if the fluid was ever changed. I've also usually used a synthetic blend as Motorcraft 5w20 is a synthetic blend. Never bothered with HM oil.

When in doubt with a Ford, always default to Motorcraft. Fluids, filters, other parts, if you don't know what to go with, go with the Motorcraft one. They're usually priced very competitively, and are usually a good value (higher quality than equivalently priced items).

So no leaks or other issues, go with Motorcraft for both the engine oil, oil filter, and transmission.

Now if you have a reason to use something else, then obviously you can deviate from that. So if you want a high mileage oil, then go ahead and use one (MaxLife, M1 HM, etc). Or if you want a full synthetic, again you can go ahead and use that. Even if you just want to go with something more affordable than Motorcraft, go ahead. But when in doubt, just go with Motorcraft and it will probably never lead you, or your Ford, wrong.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
3.8 Any head gasket issues?

For 2000, it was just the 3.0 engine, either Vulcan or Duratec.

For the most part, Motorcraft is good, but there are a few cases like spark plugs, IAC and the like where it should only be Motorcraft, for other things like brakes or suspension, there are other options that are cheaper. Usually for parts, it's rockauto or coupon codes at Advance Auto. Oil doesn't matter that much, pretty much any brand. While people like to push a particular brand of oil, there are very few threads about people's engine blowing up because they used the wrong brand of oil. Plenty of threads about problems with the wrong type of spark plugs.

I'll go beyond that and say that you can use any grade that strikes your fancy in a Ford Vucan and it'll be just fine.
A Vulcan is as picky about oil as a goat is about food.
Avoid really thick oil during the colder months, but otherwise, use whatever you can find cheaply.
Motocraft oil filters are a good and cheap choice.
The cam synchronizer is a known trouble spot and is pretty cheap and easy to replace, although our Vulcan Aerostar did 175K and thirteen years on the one that came in it from the engine plant in Lima OH.
There's nothing fun, luxurious or exciting about a Taurus, but they seem to hold up pretty well in use and used ones remain cheap and plentiful.

Originally Posted By: Evanson
Just kidding!

Well, the Tune It 5w-20 or 5w-30 choices would be good, especially if you can find one of the occasional $6 per gallon specials.
wink.gif
They do have the 5 gallon pails, which are very nice, with decent pricing all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back