MOOG monopoly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh! So, I just went looking for parts for the CVPI and was using ebay. Specifically for "Raybestos 401-1632" which is the outer tie rod end.
The first listing has it taken out of the box and right on the side of the boot it says:
MOOG

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: tommygunn

At least Deeza is still out there, making their own parts in their own factory in Turkey (and in some cases, Moog and Raybestos rebox those same Deeza parts!)

And you assume?! LOL! Deeza has reboxed Taiwan made parts within too....

So true! I have first hand experience with an outer tierod end. Expected a greasable part made in their modern plant in Turkey and got a generic white box non-greasable part from Taiwan. Deeza gave me a credit and told me that had been outsourcing these parts for a couple years. I told them they should update their website to reflect their changing manufacturing strategy. Buying any aftermarket part these days is a pure [censored] shoot.

I used to be a big fan of Raybestos Professional Grade suspension components. They bought over Spicer, and Spicer was still responsible for their Pro Grade parts. With MOOG taking over, I guess that is going to change. I haven't had good experiences with MOOG parts, and I'll continue to stay away from them.

Deeza I've been happy with, although there have been disappointments. I bought upper and lower ball joints for my Envoy, which were supposed to be sealed units (I hate serviceable suspension parts). The lowers were sealed and made in Turkey, the uppers were serviceable and made in Taiwan. Quality isn't an issue, but I just don't want serviceable ball joints, so I went with the factory GM ball joints on the upper arms. The Taiwanese part came in a red Deeza box.

Also, I got end links for the Envoy from Deeza. All four (front and rear) came in a red box - one was made in Turkey, three were made in Taiwan. Parts seemed identical, although I beleive their more premium products are made in Turkey.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

At least Deeza is still out there, making their own parts in their own factory in Turkey (and in some cases, Moog and Raybestos rebox those same Deeza parts!)

So true! I have first hand experience with an outer tierod end. Expected a greasable part made in their modern plant in Turkey and got a generic white box non-greasable part from Taiwan. Deeza gave me a credit and told me that had been outsourcing these parts for a couple years. I told them they should update their website to reflect their changing manufacturing strategy. Buying any aftermarket part these days is a pure [censored] shoot.

I used to be a big fan of Raybestos Professional Grade suspension components. They bought over Spicer, and Spicer was still responsible for their Pro Grade parts. With MOOG taking over, I guess that is going to change. I haven't had good experiences with MOOG parts, and I'll continue to stay away from them.

Deeza I've been happy with, although there have been disappointments. I bought upper and lower ball joints for my Envoy, which were supposed to be sealed units (I hate serviceable suspension parts). The lowers were sealed and made in Turkey, the uppers were serviceable and made in Taiwan. Quality isn't an issue, but I just don't want serviceable ball joints, so I went with the factory GM ball joints on the upper arms. The Taiwanese part came in a red Deeza box.

Also, I got end links for the Envoy from Deeza. All four (front and rear) came in a red box - one was made in Turkey, three were made in Taiwan. Parts seemed identical, although I beleive their more premium products are made in Turkey.

Im in the same boat as you. I don't think the serviceable parts last any longer than the sealed parts. Its just additional hassle. I'd like to put OE parts on the '02, but those are hard to come by for something that old these days. If you do, they're prohibitively expensive.

Colt,

To be honest, I don't mind the price tag. I'd rather pay up front for a quality part and be done with it for a good while than to buy something [censored] and keep getting back to it.

Ford has the Motorcraft Value range, which is made by MOOG, and they are serviceable as well. But I beleive Deeza makes non-serviceable ball joints and end links for our application. I haven't checked, but I'm planning on buying the stuff for the Marquis whilst I still can before that bites the dust and I can only find [censored] parts.

I install a few MOOG end links last year and they were made in Mexico, they looks beefy but was not impressed because the grease keep comming out of wrong place. then I read lots of praise about DEEZA suspension parts here and so ordered a set of DEEZA lower and upper control arms for my old TSX; seeing this thread and so i ask DEEZA where these parts are made, and was told they are made in Taiwan. well, raybestos combo are 20% cheaper, anyone know if these DEEZA parts from Taiwan of good quality vs Raybestos?

I just received some Raybestos end links from Amazon. They are not the same as the ones pictured on the Amazon site but they appear high quality and are made in Turkey.
It's too bad that Raybestos is now on borrowed time.

It's a carp shoot. For my Honda Accord, several years ago I bought Moog branded front upper control arms and TRW branded rear upper control arms. Both happened to be on clearance on Rock Auto and both were made by 555 (pronounced three-five), the OEM manufacturer for Honda. I had cheap knock-offs on the car prior to that and the ball joints were toast after a mere two years. You CANNOT tell the quality of bushings and ball joints by looking at them, I'm afraid.

If the UCA's had not been on clearance they would have been about $100 each, as opposed to $30 for the knock-offs. I learned my lesson. The junky ones made all kinds of noise, even when new.

I don't know how you find out who actually manufactures the parts before you buy, though. I guess, in a parts store you can handle the part. 555 stamps its logo into the metal.

Like I said before (and I'm not afraid to say that again): for japanese cars, I'd go with senkei-555 sealed units for all ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. whenever possible; sway-bar end links, I'd either go with NOK or 555.

I can live with BAW or Deeza (FCP rebox), but not with Moog or Ray econoline.

Me and my colleagues (operates a speed shop locally) done enough suspension stuff to be able to tell you that.

Most of you posters here don't do enough parts swapping to know what you are getting; worst yet: trying to trust your brand name (moog, ray, spicer, etc.) nowadays would be a risky business, for they are not what they once were.

sure! some gives you some sort of warranty, but it's the RE-n-RE that would eat you alive, and most customers don't even understand that (until they got bitten after their cheep parts came back to haunt them prematurely).

I do use Moog problem-solver every now and then, and that's it.

That's all I have to say and I'm not afraid to say that again: no moog or ray for me; no sen-sen or lecrea struts/shocks for my customers...

Q.

thanks for advise, i guess for DIYer like me, perhaps a better way is just buy aftermarket lower control arm, and OE bushing and ball joint, take the OE arm out of car and have a shop press in the bushing and joints for future use? I am in Canada and i grow dependent on US parts seller over the years, and can not take advantages of free shipping, I hope these DEEZA control arm are good quality....

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Colt,

To be honest, I don't mind the price tag. I'd rather pay up front for a quality part and be done with it for a good while than to buy something [censored] and keep getting back to it.

Ford has the Motorcraft Value range, which is made by MOOG, and they are serviceable as well. But I beleive Deeza makes non-serviceable ball joints and end links for our application. I haven't checked, but I'm planning on buying the stuff for the Marquis whilst I still can before that bites the dust and I can only find [censored] parts.

Deeza has upper BJ, Inner Tie rod, and sway bar links. Nuthin else.
I did just find on RA some parts for it by Magneti Marelli. They are out of Italy and appear to be tied to Fiat.
The information states it has a full ball stud and polymer bearing. The picture for the upper appears to show a sealed ball joint.
...I think I just found my supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back