Reserve Capacity vs CCA for Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
A technician advised me that when comparing batteries, it is more important to consider the reserve capacity than the CCA.

He said that this is due to the amount of battery drain that is caused by the number of electronic modules in many cars.

Is there any truth to this?

In california climates CCA wont matter as much as here. You need the cranking amps when it is -20 in January here in Iowa.

Also it is the alternator that has to be strong due to the number of draining electronics in cars. That is what keeps the battery charged when running. Now if you are running a ton of electronics in the car with the engine off....then reserve capacity is crucial. That is what deep cycle batteries were made for.

CCA is a measure of a batteries ability to crank a starter at cold temperatures.

Reserve capacity and amp hours are a measure of actual battery capacity, how long they can provide a ccertain amperage before the voltage drops below 10.5v. RC and AH figures are also degraded at colder temperatures.

Starting batteries generally are designed for highest CCA numbers with lots of thin fragile plates. the thicker and heavier the plates the more durable they are, but the less surface area they have for that instant higm amp starting power

Deep cycle batteries are designed for maximum capacity for the jar size and ability to recover from deep discharges, and this is at the cost of CCA.

Marine batteries are a compromise between starting and deep cycle recovery. Not as High a CCA figure of a pure starting battery, but can recover from deeper discharges better.

In general the larger the battery the higher the cca and the higher the capacity. But the highest flooded CCA batteries are lighter in weight and cannot tolerate deeper discharges.

Reserve capacity is important but there are strong correlations between reserve capacity and CCA figures in starting batteries.

Some AGM batteries are both cycleable and have extremely high CCA figures. Odyssey, Northstar are 2. but when cycled deeply these batteries require special charging parameters, whereas flooded batteries are generally more tolerant of sloppier recharging currents.

Vehicles that sit for weeks on end without being driven can benefit from more capacity, as the lower the battery is drained, and the longer it is less than 80% charged, the more capacity is forever lost from the battery.

Quickly applied full recharges after a discharge cycle are the recipe for a happy Lead acid battery whether flooded or AGM, or Gel.

True Deep cycle batteries have the lowest CCA figures, but if they were drained dead several times, they would be the least damaged by this abuse, if properly recharged.

Battery life is mostly determined by how well the battery is treated, and the happiest battery is one which gets to live its life closest to 100% at all times.

So without knowing how any individual battery was treated, it can neither be praised nor denigrated, nor directly compared to another brand battery.

So for starting batteries, buy the best warranty and if letting the vehicle sit for long periods, keep some jumper cables handy or a fully charged jumper pack, and then apply a battery charger overnight or longer, to return to the battery what the alternator needs at least 4 hours to do, which is get a battery from 80% to 100% State of charge.

Perfect response.

I think it could be added, that some standard charging systems on vehicles may not be capable of bringing the battery up to or close to 100% charge in normal service, and are only adequate to keep the starter battery at somewhere above 80% charge.

If possible, It pays to keep the starter battery topped up to 100% with a good quality and properly sized smart charger once a month or so to help achieve optimum longevity and performance.
The capacity of the smart charger is determined directly by the RC of the starter battery.

Don't forget that modern gear reduction starters draw less amps than the old direct-drive ones.

I'm so accustomed to the noise, when I hear an older starter, it sounds pained like the battery is half-dead.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
A technician advised me that when comparing batteries, it is more important to consider the reserve capacity than the CCA.

He said that this is due to the amount of battery drain that is caused by the number of electronic modules in many cars.

Is there any truth to this?

Yes, there a lot of truth to it.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
Perfect response.

I think it could be added, that some standard charging systems on vehicles may not be capable of bringing the battery up to or close to 100% charge in normal service, and are only adequate to keep the starter battery at somewhere above 80% charge.

If possible, It pays to keep the starter battery topped up to 100% with a good quality and properly sized smart charger once a month or so to help achieve optimum longevity and performance.
The capacity of the smart charger is determined directly by the RC of the starter battery.

Yes, Batteries require they be held at Absorption voltages for X amount of time after a discharge. The amount of time varies depending on the amount of discharge, the battery itself, its health, temperature, and the absorption voltage itself.

The higher the voltage, the more amps can flow into a battery, and once the battery is brought upto near absorption voltages, the amps needed to hold the battery start tapering as the charging source regulator is trying to keep the battery from exceeding absorption voltages.

It can be argued that a depleted battery that does not get 14.4v or higher for X amount of time will never reach full charge. I have seen 5 days at 13.6v not fully charge one of my deep cycle batteries. It took another 90 minutes after cranking voltage to at 14.7 before Specific gravity climbed to within 0.005 of the maximum ever observed on this battery.

It is safer to undercharge a battery than overcharge it, so most vehicles will drop voltage to the mid to high 13's well before the battery would actually like. The amps required to hold high 13's are well less than half the amps required to hold 14.6 when the battery is 85% charged, and as such recharging slows down considerably.

If the battery is never discharged much, then mid 13's are fine, when the battery is discharged and all that is allowed is 13.8v, there is not enough voltage potential for higher amps to flow into the depleted battery. So short drives are especially damaging to a car which has sat with the door locks and engine computer slowly draining down the battery.

As a rule, one should never rely on their alternator to fully charge a depleted battery. Ther were designed to power vehicle loads and replace what the starter removes, but whatever voltage regulation is used, is Timid, as timid is safer, at the expense of battery life.

When the voltage regulator does not take into account the battery temperature and raise the voltages accordingly in extreme cold, then very very little current flows into the battery.

Do not be afraid to use a high amp smart charger to get the job. Batteries can easily take tremendous currents when depleted below 80%, and as their voltage rises to the mid 14's the charging sources regulator will back off the current to keep the voltage from exceeding 14.X volts. The charging sources that one needs to be careful with are the unregulated power supplies, the manual chargers, as they, given enough time, can push battery voltage too high, and for too long, and cause battery degradation.

But you can put a 25 amp smart charger on a 50 amp hour battery without fear. The alternator, if allowed to hold seek and hold 14.5 volts, would easily pump twice this much into the depleted battery, and the battery will love it.

If time is not a factor then low and slow can be used, but absorption voltages need to be reached and held before reverting to float/maintenance voltages.

Many 'trickle' chargers will never go above 13.8v and they can take weeks to max out the specific gravity of the battery, if they can do it at all.

So the oft recommended 'trickle charger overnight', is not a good recommendation. it won't do any harm, but it likely will not come close to fully charging the depleted battery, and not do nearly as much good as a larger amp charger that will bring the batteries to the mid 14s for a period of time.

So every month should I "top off" the charge on my battery since I drive 2 miles to work each day? My wife's car has been sitting for a month. I did take it for a 15 mile drive once but should I also give it a charge?

Last edited:
Thank-you wrcsixeight for a very detailed explanation on batteries.

Outstanding job well done!

I replaced the 9+ year old battery in my Tacoma with a marine battery, because it mostly sits, then tows my travel trailer. The battery is huge (Equivalent to a 27F) as that is the size that came with the 110AC invertor option. CCA is minimal, but overall capacity is reasonable, though less than an equivalent starting battery. The truck has always started, with even a low battery......It starts easily, and the geared starter turns the motor with very low voltage loss.

My thinking was that the battery would survive the relatively long sitting periods, and I could use the truck's battery capacity to augment the trailer's dedicated battery.

I then discovered that Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, had chosen to put a relay on the trailer charge circuit, so that the truck battery would not be drained by the trailer, when parked. I removed the relay, and installed a jumper. I am willing to risk vehicle battery drain, for the ability to utilize the truck battery for lights and water pump.

CCA is power, at a low temperature (which is when reaction is slower), while RC (loosely related to the real value of ampere-hr) is a measure of energy.

To get more CCA, you need more surface area for chemical reaction to take place. That notionally means more, thinner plates.

To get more RC/Ah, you need more material, plain and simple. Easiest way is to make thicker plates, but then there is less exposed reaction area, so...

The things that damage batteries are heat (increased side reactions) and existing at low state of charge. Higher RC will provide a higher SOC after more vehicle parasitics pulling energy for longer. This is a good thing since that will reduce the impact of one of the degrading factors.

Personally, I've never had issues with using batteries at the OEM rated cca level, which is usually fairly small. Even the lower end parts store models have higher cca than the oem requests.

So I agree, I want more lead, more RC, and I worry less about total cca.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
So the oft recommended 'trickle charger overnight', is not a good recommendation. it won't do any harm, but it likely will not come close to fully charging the depleted battery, and not do nearly as much good as a larger amp charger that will bring the batteries to the mid 14s for a period of time.

My 2 amp Duralast trickle charger charges at 14.5-14.6 volts. Is that ideal?

That's a fine voltage but no guarantee it will put enough energy back in without a very long charge time.

Is this 14.5/.6V measured with no load on the charger?

If so, the voltage the charger can actually can bring a battery up to is not necessarily 14.5/.6v

With flooded batteries, lets say a 100 amp hour capacity battery, when the amps required to hold 14.5v fall below ~1.5 amps or so, then the battery can be considered fully charged, or very nearly so. But only a hydrometer could say for sure.

If the battery is held at 14.5 after only ~1.5 amps are required to hold that voltage, then overcharging begins.

Some overcharging is no big deal, might even be beneficial is some cells are a bit weaker than others, but weeks of overcharging are certainly detrimental.

Guessing at state of charge by voltage, especially when charging, is unwise.

Amperages that the battery requires to be held at absorption voltages is a much better indicator of state of charge. The lower the amps required, the higher the state of charge.

The temperature compensated Hydrometer is the battery/charging source polygraph. Each battery has slightly different needs to reach full charge, and no charger is really smart enough to determine what those needs are, despite its marketing and the impressive terms and words the marketing team came up with to boost the bottom line.

If you are really interested in seeing how hour charging source performs, then get a temperature compensated turkey baster style hydrometer, and check all the cells, and keep records. Usually there will be one cell that reads lower, and in the future one need only dip that one cell to see where the charger has taken the battery to.

Abused batteries can need chargers which can do equalization charges. This is a forced overcharge designed to bring all a flooded batteries cells upto their maximum specific gravity. it is like a battery reset, to restore maximum remaining battery capacity. It will NOT restore the aged battery to the maximum capacity it had when it was new.

Voltages upto 16V can be required to max out the Specific gravity. EQ charging needs to be monitored and stopped when SG levels no longer rise or battery temperature starts rising quickly or approaches 120F.

Those large wheeled battery chargers that shops put on batteries are generally unregulated high amp sources which will at some point raise battery voltages into this 16v range and perhaps higher, and many can do so very quickly. They are like a slap across the face of an abused battery. Not something to be done often, only when the battery gets petulant and hysterical from chronic undercharging or overdischarging, but more importantly the customer out the door and their money in the till.

Proper battery charging can be taken to ridiculous levels. Since batteries are just rented, often it is not worth worrying about the length of the rental contract. It depends on the person who is relying on that battery.

There is just a lot of bad information often repeated, about lead acid battery care out there, and voltages are often seen like a fuel gauge, but Voltages are only accurate as to state of charge on a rested battery, one which has not seen charging nor discharging for many many hours.

And even then I have seen many times, a battery whose Specific gravity read 1.225, rest at 12.8 volts. Specific gravity on a healthy fully charged battery should generally be in the 1.275 or higher range.

So if you care about your flooded battery and your charging sources efficacy, get a hydrometer.

A clamp on DC ammeter is another valuable tool to see how much amperage the battery is accepting at a certain voltage.

Voltage alone can be extremely misleading especially when one does not know the amperages flowing at charging voltages.

For a same size battery the higher cost battery of a same brand usually has higher RC but same CCA.

For mild So Cal weather RC is much more importance than CCA.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
A clamp on DC ammeter is another valuable tool to see how much amperage the battery is accepting at a certain voltage.

Can you recommend one? I have a sealed battery so I can't test the specific gravity.

Great info wrc68! Thanks for taking the time to lay this down!

The sled electrical system works better with more RC, especially given the heat down here. Last Interstate I bought was a full size to take up the entire battery tray instead of the mid-size that was recommended. I was going through those batteries every three years or so. Not with the bigger one.

I read somewhere that in hot climates CCA isn't as important as RC. I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back