A simple bulb....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The only way to entirely invalidate HID conversions into halogen housings is to test them all. Can you deny this, or are you going to make me break out my high school material and show you just how an experiment is run and how the results apply?

And the converse of this (if I understand you correctly) is: the only way to validate any HID conversion is to photometrically test it in accordance with regulations. The burden of proof, either when designing something from scratch or modifying a current design, is not on a regulating agency or anyone else to demonstrate why it doesn't work...it's on the designer to demonstrate that it DOES work.

Your go/no-go gauge on your own vehicles seems to be, "I can back away from them and they seem fine to me." That's not testing.

To my knowledge, nobody who has converted a halogen housing to HIDs has done the required testing to demonstrate compliance. Whether that's an HID bulb manufacturer, a middle man, or an end user.

Assuming everything you are saying is accurate, and I'm not saying it is, there are still no grounds to say that something does not work correctly, but only that it is unknown if it works correctly.

At the end of the day, I'm not a machine, and I don't drive in one.

There was a time where there was no photometric testing, but still, people used electric lights to good effect for all sorts of purposes. Am I to believe that all of those people, pilots, sea captains, explorers, soldiers, rescue workers, engineers, etc. we're all a bunch of fools for using lighting with no photometric testing, and imagined their results? Would I tell them that their lights don't work because they never produced photometric results to back up their claims that they were able to see where they were going/what they were searching for? Am I going to start tearing through history books calling Paul Revere a fraud because no photometric testing ever backed up that anyone could see his lanterns? No, that would be ridiculous.

Modern scientific testing is a very good thing, but seriously? It's not required to figure out if you can see something or not. There was a world before it.

...there are still no grounds to say that something does not work correctly, but only that it is unknown if it works correctly.

From the perspective of the law, a device is not compliant until it is demonstrated that it is. The modern internet analogy might be, "pictures, or it didn't happen." In other words, until it's proven that the device is compliant, the law assumes that it's not. And this is absolutely the correct approach -- roadway safety is a collective initiative; everyone must play their part for it to be achievable.

Am I to believe that all of those people, pilots, sea captains, explorers, soldiers, rescue workers, engineers, etc. we're all a bunch of fools for using lighting with no photometric testing, and imagined their results? Would I tell them that their lights don't work because they never produced photometric results to back up their claims that they were able to see where they were going/what they were searching for? Am I going to start tearing through history books calling Paul Revere a fraud because no photometric testing ever backed up that anyone could see his lanterns? No, that would be ridiculous.

You're right, that would be ridiculous! (But I think you'll find that many of those lamp types are tested more heavily than you think.) Since we're talking about an historical perspective here, you may find it interesting that the quest for striking the best balance between "being able to see" and "not blinding everyone else" in an automotive lamp has been going on for years. The State of Massachusetts was the first state to implement a forward lighting regulation in 1915, described (among more history) on page 3 of this document:

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/49367/UMTRI-98-21.pdf

Modern scientific testing is a very good thing, but seriously? It's not required to figure out if you can see something or not. There was a world before it.

There's certainly more to a headlamp than "I can see where I'm going". If there wasn't, there'd be no reason for a "high beam" vs a "low beam", and we'd all run around with flood lights -- we'd certainly be able to see where we're going, right?
smile.gif

There is the reason why interior lighting is not regulated (feel free to put whatever color/brightness bulbs you like in your dome lamp), and why exterior lighting is. The linked document above is a very well-written summary of headlamp technology and the rules governing its implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back