2007 Dodge Grand Caravan - replacement taillight bulb

Earlier today I noticed that the L turn signal in our 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan was blinking at about 2x its regular frequency.

I figured a bulb was out, and indicated my L turns with hand signals for the rest of the trip.

Checked when I got home, and found the L rear turn signal not working. Pulled the taillight assembly (thanks, Mopar engineers, easy as any I've ever done) and removed the bulb, a 3057.

The 3057 had two filaments, one for the turn signal/hazard light/brake light, and the other for the running light.

I keep a stash of bulbs, but didn't have a 3057 on hand. Had a pack of two 7443 bulbs though, which looked similar functionally (two filaments, somewhat similar base) though smaller and less robust-looking.

I installed a 7443, and it seems to work fine - turn signals, hazards, brake lights, and running lights all appear to be the same intensity as the other side.

20230608_144245.jpg
I didn't find anything online to say these bulbs are equivalent in function. I'll see how long it lasts.

3157 gives a hair more light on the tail-light end of things, possibly in response to a change in DOT rules.

Looks like the plastic shell exists to help assembly line workers put things together right-side-up.
Thanks, good stuff. I've bought stuff from Daniel before - he really knows his stuff. His writings on Curbside Classic are excellent.

The 7443 popped out of the socket after a few weeks. I reinstalled it, with misgivings, and then it did it again a couple of weeks later.

I replaced it with the proper 3057, which fits properly.

Lesson learned.

The replacement 3057 lasted several months, before the turn signal/brake light filament went open.

I replaced it with the other bulb from the 2-pack, and it also burnt out today.

It was ever so fun driving with the window down at -19°C so I could use hand signals.

I picked up a 2-pack of Sylvania 3057s from Canadian Tire, and replaced the bad bulb in the parking lot.

This makes me consider LED bulbs, but there are various cautionary stories out there - improper operation due to different resistance, and plastic lenses melting due to excessive heat.

Who has successfully replaced an incandescent 3057 with an LED equivalent?

The replacement 3057 lasted several months, before the turn signal/brake light filament went open.

I replaced it with the other bulb from the 2-pack, and it also burnt out today.

It was ever so fun driving with the window down at -19°C so I could use hand signals.

I picked up a 2-pack of Sylvania 3057s from Canadian Tire, and replaced the bad bulb in the parking lot.

This makes me consider LED bulbs, but there are various cautionary stories out there - improper operation due to different resistance, and plastic lenses melting due to excessive heat.

Who has successfully replaced an incandescent 3057 with an LED equivalent?
I believe you have to replace the flasher with one compatible with the LEDs or your blinkers will not function properly. This was true some years ago, not sure if the bulbs have evolved to eliminate this issue. Sort of like how you have to replace some household dimmer switches to make dimmable LEDs function properly.

I believe you have to replace the flasher with one compatible with the LEDs or your blinkers will not function properly. This was true some years ago, not sure if the bulbs have evolved to eliminate this issue. Sort of like how you have to replace some household dimmer switches to make dimmable LEDs function properly.
I suspect the flasher is integrated into a control board, so I guess I'll be sticking with incandescents.

Back