Pool of oil inside the intake manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm installing a new throttle body on the cobalt and a pool of oil In the intake. As you can see it wasn't really that deep. Is this normal? Keep in mind the the current oil I'm using in my sig. is recent, I really don't know what was in there before or how long it was in there. My ex had the car and was really low on oil and I think all she did was top it off a few times. Over the course of 3 years

completely business as usual in most cars these days. Unless you have a specific issue.

use a catch can if you want to slow it down, but as long as you have a pcv there will be oil in the intake...

Last edited:
Clean that up, then take a look at the PVC system.
Probably a residual issue from that 3 year OCI, but there is the possibility that something in the PCV system is (pcv valve stuck wide open) causing your system to eat oil/oil vapor and that's where it condenses/pools before being consumed by the engine intake.

With the 2.2L Colbalt (or 2.4L), there's really not much to look at in regards to the PCV system. The vacuum/suction side of the PCV system is cast into the intake manifold and pulls directly from a port in the cylinder head, between intake runners. You can't see anything. Only the breather tube portion is visible (hose from cam cover to air filter box).

Last edited:
Change the air filter. If it is restrictive, with the throttle opened, vacuum will be applied to the pcv tube drawing more oil droplets out of the engine.

Be careful torqueing down the throttle body. Those captive brass mounting threads are only secured in plastic.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Change the air filter. If it is restrictive, with the throttle opened, vacuum will be applied to the pcv tube drawing more oil droplets out of the engine.

That is very useful info!! Thank you sir!!

I had the same thing in mine. After a lot of head scratching on why my car struggles to start after sitting over night i found it was because oil pooled in the TB and blocked air from getting through.
After more head scratching as to how it got there I found out it was because the new PCV valve is quite restictive, it cant exhaust the crankcase gasses/oil vapour fast enough at higher RPMs so it pushes it back through the crankcase breather hose and into the TB where it settles into a pool over night

Oil sits in the intake manifold of my Odyssey too. I created a home-made catch can from PVC pipe last year. I've drained about 6oz twice since then.

IMG_2381.jpg

My E30 had a self oiling air filter.

I have an always-well-maintained PCV system in my engine. When I rebuilt the carburetor, I was impressed how clean the intake manifold was. It was absolutely spotless. I am guessing gasoline constantly cleans the intake manifold and leaves it entirely spotless.

I am surprised at the oiliness in that picture. However, perhaps some fuel-injection cars are prone to getting oil in their intake manifold.

In any case, I would pay attention to the maintenance of the PCV system. Nevertheless, it may have to do with the design of where the PCV ports are located. If they put a PCV port above where gasoline enters, then there is obviously no way gasoline can clean the intake manifold.

my 528e doesn't have any valve. just a hose from the valve cover to the throttle body. Left to its own devices it would creep to the air filter.
grin2.gif

This is why I run an oil catch can on my 2014 Mustang GT. It pulls oil into the intake as well. I've been using a catch can since the car was new and it has caught a lot of oil over the last year and a half.

Wayne

Ditto. Took the catch can off my 2013 Silverado when I traded it in. Just got a 2015 2500HD and that catch can is going on it soon. Only those who have used one of these and seen what they catch can truly appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back