Ugh dropped washer in intake manifold

Doing an intake manifold job for a friend on a Crown Vic and was buttoning everything back up and that metal crossover on the front side of the manifold. The holes where you plug up with an NPT plug was open had not put them in yet and somehow someway I dropped a washer in there. I think it went into the front intake runner, the smallest port.

I think I already know the answer here but I need to take it off and retrieve it correct? I felt like this after 🤦

Last edited:
Thank you both, I was able to get one of my magnets in about 4 or 5 in no luck. I found a flexible magnet locally but unfortunately once you put it in the hole on the intake there's only about 1 in before you have to make a turn. The magnet itself is part of the piece that is roughly 3 in long so it will only go in but I can't get it past the bend.

I'll try a little bit more finagling but not too much. if I try for an hour or two the way I see it I could just be using that time to take off the manifold.

Lesson learned!

buy a small donut magnet - you can usually find them in the craft store - and dangle it down he hole on a string or push it down on a bailing wire.

If its that hard to get the manifold back off.
If I can find one small enough to fit in the opening that is a wonderful idea thank you 🙏

If I can find one small enough to fit in the opening that is a wonderful idea thank you 🙏
How big was the washer? You likely can find one small enough - just a question of if they have one somewhere near you. Here are some on flea bay that is only 1/2 inch.

You can probably find the solid disks at the craft section in walmart. Might be able to just drill a hole in it. I have no idea how brittle they are.

1705804333614.jpg

Hey guys ended up getting it taken care of. The washer had ended up going down the runner and then towards the firewall in that direction. I came up with some creative ways actually and felt like I almost had it but couldn't quite get there.

I ended up just taking off the manifold again was really quick. Disassembly and reassembly took about 2 hours. But I got it!

Thanks all for your help and some great ideas for possible future needs 🍻

Back