Fram Ultra fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was posted months ago and that filter was dropped by the OP or by someone before he received it and the spring was dislodged or broken. I was always shake my filters for this reason before installing them. I might be flamed, but one filter with an issue is hardly a reason to be concerned. This would be the 3rd or 4th Ultra that has failed as compared to how many of the other brands?

I remember just when I first joined that everyone on here said fram was cheap chinese [censored], and suddenly it's like everyone expects the best of them. They can't make good air filters or oil filters, IME.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
This was posted months ago and that filter was dropped by the OP or by someone before he received it and the spring was dislodged or broken. I was always shake my filters for this reason before installing them. I might be flamed, but one filter with an issue is hardly a reason to be concerned. This would be the 3rd or 4th Ultra that has failed as compared to how many of the other brands?

Of the 3 or 4 reported, 2 were cartridge filters. When we see 57 reported spin-ons over 6 months with rattling guts, then we can get suspect of an on-going issue.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

And the wild posts that followed....think one would notice that it was dropped before you used it....

I've used my Ultras with no issues at all, as well as a few car guy friends.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
... think one would notice that it was dropped before you used it.

I believe it was discovered the dent was in the end where all the black gippy coating is, so it was hard to see.

Old news, I personally can not discredit Fram from this one instance. I can however for something with repeated failures...eh-hmm.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I remember just when I first joined that everyone on here said fram was cheap chinese [censored], and suddenly it's like everyone expects the best of them. They can't make good air filters or oil filters, IME.

What Fram filters are made in China?

I have 8 Ultras on my garage shelf, I shook all 8 after seeing this a while back. None rattle so I'm good

It's currently Purolator's turn in the barrel anyway...

Ultras are actually made in USA. I like them personaly, and air filter felt nice and sturdy.

Their lower end stuff is complete [censored] I agree, but their mid to high end stuff are actually good value for money, specially from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

They do have factories in China. Some make it over to the North American continent.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

They do have factories in China. Some make it over to the North American continent.

I just bought a Fram air filter (CA11259) and it is made in China.

Its possible to have a Chinese factory produce quality of course. Certainly the appearance of extreme cost savings is there, since they want to pay people about $1 an hour, you'd think that might carry over to other cost-cutting measures that screw the product. If quality control is strict, it can be done. Still wary of Chinese made products due to the the experience over the last 30 years though!

I have never seen a Fram oil filter made in China, standard metal housing kind. Maybe they are out there, but not commonly. It is interesting how a strong spring could dislodge. I would imagine after a filter is used the parts are oily and slip easier, so if dropped after use, it could, maybe. I dropped one of my new Fram Ultras, fell out of the box bottom, has a good dent in it, no rattles, nothing is loose. I don't know if I should use it or not. Have to look into how to make pictures show up on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back