Penzoil PP sounds so different than Mobil 1 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Corolla sounds quite a bit different at cold (20F) startup on the Penzoil PP 0W-20 that the Mobil 1 AFE. Any technical reason for that?

With Mobil 1 at startup it would make a 'slushy' should about 3 seconds after startup. As if the oil was water being slushily sprayed over the cams. Almost an woosh sound.

With Penzoil PP at cold startup it doesn't sound the same at all. It doesn't have the 3 seconds and then a slushy flowing sound at all, not mush sound other than the engine.. I anything, the slushy flowing sound is longer delayed and pulses every few seconds in and out after about 7 seconds.

Some kind of cold flow difference?

my Sable has had a slight ticking in the top end since i bought it.
seems to be a little louder with the Current Fill.(PP,Wix)

when i got it, unknown bulk oil(likely vwb), with a Carquest Red Filter.
First OC was meijer brand Syn, with a Motorcraft Filter, don't remember if the ticking was louder or quieter, or the same.
Currently have PP with a Wix, and it's def louder. enough that my hard of hearing dad picked up on it.

next OC will be PYB, with either wix, or Motorcraft, have to pay attention to it...

Originally Posted By: earlyre

First OC was meijer brand Syn, with a Motorcraft Filter, don't remember if the ticking was louder or quieter, or the same.
Currently have PP with a Wix, and it's def louder. enough that my hard of hearing dad picked up on it.

next OC will be PYB, with either wix, or Motorcraft, have to pay attention to it...
Try some Rotella T6 and see if that quiets it down.

Hopefully that Sable hasn't been dealt a little bit of coolant dilution. Could be the beginning of a leak. That's how my S-10 started, with a little chatter..... then more..... over 7-10K of two OCIs.

Then one day I checked the oil about half-way point of an oil change and it was 1-1/2 quarts overfill, with coolant from the intake.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You can actually hear oil "slushling" around your cams?

Hard to describe with words. Not slushing around as in 'a tub with oil sloshing to and fro'. But rather a sound of the arrival of oil pumped up as if I can actually hear the arrival if the first blast of oil seconds after startup. And that first arrival of oil with Mobil 1 AFE is distinct and sounds like slush cascading over the parts. It's not a cringe inducing sound if doom but it sure is interesting.

Whereas with PP it never really makes that same arrival sound as it pumps up.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: earlyre

Try some Rotella T6 and see if that quiets it down.

is T6 available in 5w20?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Hard to describe with words. Not slushing around as in 'a tub with oil sloshing to and fro'. But rather a sound of the arrival of oil pumped up as if I can actually hear the arrival if the first blast of oil seconds after startup. And that first arrival of oil with Mobil 1 AFE is distinct and sounds like slush cascading over the parts. It's not a cringe inducing sound if doom but it sure is interesting.

How many OCIs did you use M1? Did every fill of M1 make that sound? If it was just the previous fill, is it possible the anti-drain back valve on the filter failed (or you used a filter that doesn't have one by mistake)? That could affect how/where the oil accumulated after turning off the car for a while.

Originally Posted By: sicko

How many OCIs did you use M1? Did every fill of M1 make that sound? If it was just the previous fill, is it possible the anti-drain back valve on the filter failed (or you used a filter that doesn't have one by mistake)? That could affect how/where the oil accumulated after turning off the car for a while.

Used M1 for 1 OCI 6 months 3500miles with cold idling. It's a toyota genuine cartridge filter.

I really don't know how someone can accurately compare the sound of their engine on a particular day to the way it sounded (how long ago) on a different oil.

There's been a ton of anecdotal evidence here that different oil formulations can make a motor sound different. M1 has been said to be one of the "noisiest" and PYB one of the "quietest". Others have said the oil makes no difference in their engine sound whatsoever. I personally have noticed a difference between M1 and MC in my DD...slight, but it was there.

PYB is usually very quiet in my engines, but Pennzoil synthetics have been quite loud when cold. And although Mobil 1 was very loud in our Chrysler 3.8L engine, it's very quiet in our Honda and Acura engines.

I think it's some combination of oil chemistry and engine design that produce different noises. I don't think much of it...but I do prefer oils that run quieter and tend to stick with those.

I've been quite pleased with Peak synthetic 0W-20 in my Honda. Its K24 seems somewhat sensitive to oil in terms of noise (its cold clatter will vary considerably depending on oil used) and the Peak 0W-20 is among the quietest I've used. PP 0W-20 was the loudest, along with VWB. M1 AFE is quiet in it, as is PYB. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

My Corolla sounds quite a bit different at cold (20F) startup on the Penzoil PP 0W-20 that the Mobil 1 AFE. Any technical reason for that?

With Mobil 1 at startup it would make a 'slushy' should about 3 seconds after startup. As if the oil was water being slushily sprayed over the cams. Almost an woosh sound.

With Penzoil PP at cold startup it doesn't sound the same at all. It doesn't have the 3 seconds and then a slushy flowing sound at all, not mush sound other than the engine.. I anything, the slushy flowing sound is longer delayed and pulses every few seconds in and out after about 7 seconds.

Just some additional info:

The AFE product has an MRV of 9,200cP @ -40C
The PP product has an MRV of 14,100cP @ -40C

At -15C they would roughly be 285cP and 440cP respectively. So yes, the Mobil product is a fair bit thinner even if we increase the temp to -5C (~20F).

Does this impact performance? No. But maybe it could have something to do with them sounding different
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Just some additional info:

The AFE product has an MRV of 9,200cP @ -40C
The PP product has an MRV of 14,100cP @ -40C

At -15C they would roughly be 285cP and 440cP respectively. So yes, the Mobil product is a fair bit thinner even if we increase the temp to -5C (~20F).

Does this impact performance? No. But maybe it could have something to do with them sounding different
21.gif

Thank you, that's the data that BITOG is famous for. It satisfies my curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back