Interesting convo with local transmission shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: badtlc
OP, completely platform dependent.

For the majority of slushboxes a pan drop is about 1/3 the capacity.

Fluid exchange through the lines is the only way to even hope of swapping the majority of the fluid...

That is the point of the thread. According to him, unless it is a Honda, the fluid exchange through the lines only replaces the same amount as a pan drop/drain/refill which is nowhere near all the fluid.

Thank you for your comment. At what point did I lose you?

Excuse me but the OEM fluid is often times the best choice for certain makes...

There is no such thing as OEM fluid. Last I checked someone had to make their fluid for them. I don't see a whole lot of Honda, Ford or Toyota refineries around town! it's all made by somebody, and in the world of somebody's some are definetely better than others!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Don't deal with this yahoo. Find a BG service center near you and get them to do a flush and fill with BG ATF using their own machinery that gets all the old fluid out and all the new fluid in. Anything other than OEM is junk? This guy is a real space cadet.

The BG machine does not get all the fluid out. The one I have used also does not flush it is a fluid exchanger. The "flush" is from the magical cleaning chemical dumped in before the exchange. I think the machine was nice for a straight up exchange while skipping the chemicals. I'm also not a fan of any ATF that says it's good for Mercon V and LV when they are different viscosities. Also if the fluid is so great why does it need flushed out again every 30k miles?

Will it destroy your transmission? I doubt it or they would be out of business by now. Is it great? Yes, it's great for making the shop tons of money on high dollar chemicals!

I agree there are different viewpoints on the best ATF to use. I use Amsoil as I feel its a great ATF and has worked well in my two Chrysler vehicles. But I am a vehicle owner not a shop.

Were I a shop I might want to use only OEM as the customer is paying for it anyway and its an easy way to stay out of trouble.

Don't deal with this yahoo. Find a BG service center near you and get them to do a flush and fill with BG ATF using their own machinery that gets all the old fluid out and all the new fluid in. Anything other than OEM is junk? This guy is a real space cadet.

Did that once.

Once.

The BG "service center" overfilled my transmission by 2 QTs...I discovered that when the transmission foamed and overheated on the highway that night, a long way from home. The A340H in the 4 Runner lost it's lock-up that night as well. It doesn't lock up at all anymore. I've replaced solenoids, but I am not going to spend the $3K to undo the damage that this BG "service center" did to my truck....that's more than the truck is worth. I've had to add two coolers to keep it cool on the highway now, and I've got a nice trans temp gauge to keep an eye on it.

I will never, ever, use BG products again.

I will never, ever, use a BG service center again. Pure MLM garbage that is sold to otherwise decent shops...

I would trust this "Yahoo" before I would trust BG and their "flush machine" that inflicted $3K of damage by frying the torque converter...it's a flush machine all right...

A wallet flushing machine!

Last edited:
BG is just a machine and some products. A scalpel is just a knife. The scalpel belongs in the hands of a experienced surgeon and the BG machine needs to be run by an experienced mechanic. It should not overfill the transmission as it should add what is pulled out (typically by weight or volume). Although they can manually add more ATF.

After saving my FILs wallet from replacing a condemned (by a lazy/greedy mechanic) 4R70W, I will always;

1 pump the tranny out through the line
2 pan drop/ filter change
3 Fill
4 pump all old fluid out of the line
5 top off and button up

We ran about 14 quarts through his transmission, but it finally turned clear and cherry red. Shift flare and slipping completely vanished.

I have flushed all my vehicle's transmissions with BG products and NEVER had and issue. And if you did have an issue, they warranty all their work and stand behind it. If you flush it every 30k (which isn't a bad idea with any ATF) they will replace your transmission if anything mechanical ever breaks. You just didnt use a reputable service center. That has nothing to do with BG. Their fluids are outstanding. I have used every fluid they have except their engine oil and have never had an issue, if anything I have seen improvements.

So what "certain makes" have you worked on where the best choice is OEM oil?

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I too would be interested to hear this

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse

Any make that does not have a licensing program available for their fluid specification.

And any that has warranty. Duh.

Almost anyone already knows that OEM's don't refine and blend their own fluids. Another Duh. But they do publish strict specifications, so step outside of their spec only if you can afford the consequences. So-called "universal" fluids are a [censored] shoot and may work great. But they don't always work well, I'll let the smart fellas show us the millions of examples available on the net.

Kind of thought that was self evident, but around here...

I have flushed all my vehicle's transmissions with BG products and NEVER had and issue. And if you did have an issue, they warranty all their work and stand behind it. If you flush it every 30k (which isn't a bad idea with any ATF) they will replace your transmission if anything mechanical ever breaks. You just didnt use a reputable service center. That has nothing to do with BG. Their fluids are outstanding. I have used every fluid they have except their engine oil and have never had an issue, if anything I have seen improvements.

BG will cover up to $2000 if you started using their trans services before 30K miles and continued every 30k afterwards. If you read the little warranty info pamphlet there is a ton of fine print in it.

I am very familiar with it, and have seen them stand behind it. Keep in mind, it has to be mechanical and they will not cover electrical component failures. But as the BG customer service rep told me, if our fluid lubricates it, we warranty it!

Well your rep sounds better than the one I dealt with. I asked him if BG was going to cover any trans issues under warranty since the owners manual gave strict instructions not to use trans additives and to use a fluid that met a certain specification(they claim theirs as recommended). He said oh the manufacturer will still cover it, they won't know. I reminded him we were at a dealership and the manufacturer could search our records at any time to see maintenance history. He said if they could prove BG fluid caused it they would warranty it then. I told him and my service manager not to expect me to push his magic snake oil on my friends and neighbors.

Had dirty fluid flushed out and BG fluid in a 2008 Toyota Matrix.

Zero shifting issues in the car.

Done at a local shop that does pretty good work.

If someone overfills the transmission by several quarts, do you blame the fluid or the tech?

Although I do think simple drain and fills are fine - and it's all I ever did for my Honda Accord, I disagree that a flush machine won't exchange all the fluid.

I've used flush machines before and it appeared to me that all the fluid looked like it got flushed out (the machine I had dispersed the old fluid into another container where you could clearly see the color of the old fluid change to new as it reached 8-10 quarts or so.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Well your rep sounds better than the one I dealt with. I asked him if BG was going to cover any trans issues under warranty since the owners manual gave strict instructions not to use trans additives and to use a fluid that met a certain specification(they claim theirs as recommended). He said oh the manufacturer will still cover it, they won't know. I reminded him we were at a dealership and the manufacturer could search our records at any time to see maintenance history. He said if they could prove BG fluid caused it they would warranty it then. I told him and my service manager not to expect me to push his magic snake oil on my friends and neighbors.

That problem may be a thing of the past. The majority of the Ford Dealerships around me are authorized BG service centers now! I love it. Very convenient.

A dealership can sell whatever they want. They are a franchise. That does not mean the manufacturer will stand behind the warranty when unauthorized additives or unapproved fluids are used. If you trust BG's warranty to cover you or your dealer to lie to the manufacturer on your behalf then it's a non issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back