Fram Ultra change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, ok, on my 65 mustang I have been using SL rated oil, and a MC oil filter and changing once a year weather or not it needed it. Only drive it in the summer, and mostly long drives, and stored all winter. Last fall when I changed the oil and filter I put on a Fram Ultra. My question is, How many years can I run this filter if I change the oil yearly ? I only drive it about 1000 miles per summer. Can I safely go 3 or 4 years, or should I limit it to 2 years.

Full synthetic media and silicone anti drain back valve do not age like cellulose/nitrile. Cut it off at 5 years just to make sure that the sealing gasket isn't drying out. 2 years is way too soon.

Call me crazy but I'd stick with the MC and change it once a year. Fresh oil and filter every year always feels good!

To answer your question id go 2 years. Who the price why leave it to chance.

Well so far 3 votes for two years, and one for up to 5 years. And one for going back to my old way. My original thought was 2 years, but got to thinking, if they are suppose to be good for up to 15000 miles, and time doesn't hurt them, why not go longer than 2000 miles. Just as a comparison, my last MC filter had about 1500 miles in one year, and I opened it and it looked like new. I am sure it could have easily gone another year.

The thing with any filter is the more you use it the better it traps particles at least to the point of reduced flow. Considering you'll never hit the mileage requirement why not leave it on their. I would but I would buy an Amsoil EaO and use that instead maybe even their Z-Rod oil if it's an old flat tappet motor. 3-5 years sounds good to me.

Last edited:
I do a yearly OCI in my vehicles and change both the oil and filter yearly. Could I go longer with both--- possibly, but why risk it?

Your mileage is extremely low and so I would go two years. Don't go five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back