Challenger R/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to rent one on Newfoundland in 2013. I thought it was fun for a new car but still lacked that rawness and brutality that older musclecars have. One thing that impressed me is that I was able to get onset of wheelspin in first gear between 3-4k rpm. The computer would override and shift up though although the shift lever was in first not drive. I took it out at night on abandon roads and roasted the tires off that thing.

19098313.JPG

19098311.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I took it out at night on abandon roads and roasted the tires off that thing.

Those tires look very pedestrian. Probably doesn't take much to roast them.

Back in 2010 I hired a Camaro, drove over Golden Gate, up the coast, inland to Guyseville, Lincoln, Reno, the west coat of Lake Tahoe, San Jose and back to SFO.

I agree with the lack of "rawness", it was a bit like a Commodore in handling etc (surprise), but I'd have one in a heartbeat...'cept they are $100k in Oz.

Challengers are starting to come in at $40k over that.

Good looking car. Sounds like you got your money's worth of the rental company's tires.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Which is why I don't buy used rental cars.

I still take pride in otherwise treating the car well. No scratches, nicks, dings in body ( I never put soft bags of luggage or anything on the paint) and I go easy on the interior just like I treat my own cars. I run the snot out of them too.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
but a neutral drop will.

I'd never do that. And I don't shift into F when the car is still moving backwards. I don't curb tires or bust spoilers on stops. Things "normal" renters do that devalue the car much more than full throttle blasts.

You understand I wasn't neutral dropping it at 3K. Starting in first from idle, punch the pedal, and the tires start breaking loose and squealing at around 3K. That's where the torque really comes in on that engine.

Power brakeing is a bit different. Hold the brake hard punch the throttle, tires break lose and spin, when you hit redline let off of brake car starts to move, shifts to second and burns tires all the way thru second gear.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The factory all season tires are incredibly poor. A simple tire change will dramatically increase the traction...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Tire burning isn't going to hurt the car, but a neutral drop will.

These cars have software that makes a neutral drop nearly impossible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back