VW W8 headlamps in a B5 Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
it's a 2004 or 2005, since it is a diesel.

Those were the 2 model years offered in the B5/5.5 generation.

Mitchell list the same part numbers for a 2004 W8 and 2005TDI. It list both halogen and xenon for both cars - but if you pick either one it's the same part number.

There does not appear to be a "frame" other than the radiator support which differs according to engine and there are 2 possible for the W8.

Based on this I would say which ever headlights you choose will mount properly.

I'd be a little concerned if it is in fact a W8 radiator support what sort of kludge was done to mount the radiator, condenser and cooling fans though.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
it's a 2004 or 2005, since it is a diesel.

Those were the 2 model years offered in the B5/5.5 generation.

Mitchell list the same part numbers for a 2004 W8 and 2005TDI. It list both halogen and xenon for both cars - but if you pick either one it's the same part number.

There does not appear to be a "frame" other than the radiator support which differs according to engine and there are 2 possible for the W8.

Based on this I would say which ever headlights you choose will mount properly.

I'd be a little concerned if it is in fact a W8 radiator support what sort of kludge was done to mount the radiator, condenser and cooling fans though.

Xenons were not an option on the 1.8T, TDI or V6. Xenons only came with the W8 Passat.

Xenon assemblies have a different connector compared to the halogen assemblies. The W8 assemblies will mount up, but will require a conversion adapter to use them.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
THe H1 was, of course, the first production halogen bulb.

Probably why they are only $3 a piece for made in Germany bulbs. Still in use in some 2005 cars.

Xenons were not an option on the 1.8T, TDI or V6. Xenons only came with the W8 Passat.

That's what I thought.

The problem I see now is that based on what the OP has already told us, we really don't know what he is working with... (how much of the front end and wiring is W8 and how much is TDI)

another example.

You can install the Headlight switch with the Rear Fog Light for the 3BG Passats...

guess what? just because the switch has the detent for the rear fog light, it doesn't mean that the rear fog light is going to work for the following reasons:
1) The wiring is not there
2) The bulb tray is not made for the rear fog function (you would have to buy the european bulb trays)

Originally Posted By: Trav

Xenons were not an option on the 1.8T, TDI or V6. Xenons only came with the W8 Passat

https://shop.ahw-shop.de/xenon-scheinwerfer-vw-passat-original?c=1591

it goes back to you not familiar with the US market.

Hey no problem. I wasn't trying to point out you were wrong or something.lol You said..
Xenons were not an option on the 1.8T, TDI or V6. Xenons only came with the W8 Passat

Sorry i missed the part where you said for the US market. Xenons was a common option on all those cars, they still have the replacement parts.
Whether those part # are available in the US at a dealer is another story, they may or may not be.
I know for a fact that i (or anyone else for that matter) can have OE Xenon lights shipped here in a week for a TDI, 1.8 or a V6.

Want some? One quick call to the parts dept (VAG Dealer) is all it takes.

https://shop.ahw-shop.de/xenon-scheinwerfer-vw-passat-original?c=1591

it goes back to you not familiar with the US market.

Hey no problem. I wasn't trying to point out you were wrong or something.lol You said..

Sorry i missed the part where you said for the US market. Xenons was a common option on all those cars, they still have the replacement parts.
Whether those part # are available in the US at a dealer is another story, they may or may not be.
I know for a fact that i (or anyone else for that matter) can have OE Xenon lights shipped here in a week for a TDI, 1.8 or a V6.

Want some? One quick call to the parts dept (VAG Dealer) is all it takes.

whizbyu is in the Carolinas.... that's in the US.

Like I said earlier... you can order and install other hardware to the car... it doesn't necessarily mean the car is wired for it.

To install Xenons on the 3BG that didn't come with it in the first place, the connector is different from what is installed on the car, so you need to buy the 12-pin connector, then remove all the pins in the 10-pin connector on the car, and wire it accordingly to the 12-pin requirements, or try making a 10-pin to 12-pin harness. It is not plug & play.

Not to mention, via the parts department, the ballasts and bulbs are sold separately.

According to the online fiche at Jim Ellis Parts the headlamp wiring harness for a W8 is available and seems reasonable.

Is the B5 like later models in that it has a convenience control module and if so will the original one in a TDI support the W8 lamps?

(edit: happy birthday trav)

Last edited:
yes, there is a convenience module, but different from other cars, that it cannot be readily recoded using a USB-based VAG-COM.

there is no adapter harness... the harness that is available is the actual harness for lighting group, but it's not a straight forward swap. Since the wiring snakes in and out all over the place within the engine compartment, not to mention through the firewall, has its connections with the relay box and fuse boxes... it's not that simple.

it's nothing like your 2012 Jetta TDI, where, first you check to see if the BCM is the correct version to support bixenon or not, then going from there

it's nothing like your 2012 Jetta TDI, where, first you check to see if the BCM is the correct version to support bixenon or not, then going from there

Gotcha.
wink.gif

It is a 2005 TDi.
The entire front end was replaced. Including the lights. I do not know if the mechanic spliced the wiring, but BOTH housings are HID, both turn on.
I gave ECSTuning the VIN of the W8 and he said it was a 2003 I think. He also said that I could put the W8 lights I just bought from ECS, and just plug them in, since I have the W8's that work anyway.

I had to buy the bulbs separately from the housing.
I hope the current plug fits the housing I ordered from ECS. It should because the current housing is a W8. Not sure how the mechanic did the conversion.

That idea of putting sensors in my 10 year old, 245K mile car is a bit much. ECS sold me a pair of W8 lamps that I will put in place and plug in the current wiring (adapted for W8).

I have an update on the lighting situation.
The original W8 lights that were so dim had bad burnt out reflectors. The manual adjustment knobs were also bad.
Ordered a set of OEM W8 lamps with new bulbs and used the ballast from the "bad" housing.
Holy mackerel! What bright lights!!!!

Yes they are. Slight vertical adjust needed which worked out perfect after a couple of slow turns. I did not feel comfortable using them; always have that fear of having that "turn, turn, turn......S N A P!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back