Thinking of a new trans, called some ppl (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it knows its slipping thats why its banging; its trying to slam the clutches on in an effort to prevent it.
The banging is certainly better as slipping equals a lot of heat and wear.
Its still going to die eventually as it waits until the last minute to go into this mode.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yeah, it knows its slipping thats why its banging; its trying to slam the clutches on in an effort to prevent it.
The banging is certainly better as slipping equals a lot of heat and wear.
Its still going to die eventually as it waits until the last minute to go into this mode.

Well it's been banging for 2 years it ain't dead yet lol, I'm sort of interested to ride it until total failure but not sure if I can.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Another alternative would be a Crown Vic BTW.... and they are cheap (as Colt45ws can attest to).

Yeah the wife ain't going to go for a crown vic.... Rear wheel drive, V8, low MPG, and too big.

I really keep finding myself coming back to the 2012-2013 Impalas everytime I look.

This is what Edmunds says when comparing the impala to others though...

Instead we strongly suggest full-size sedan shoppers have a look at more up-to-date competitors including the Buick LaCrosse, Chrysler 300, Ford Taurus and Hyundai Azera. Each is better to drive, more refined, nicer inside and generally more modern. Or you could wait a bit for the impressive new Chevrolet Impala that's just around the corner.

But I can find a 2012 Impalas for 12-14k with Less than 50k miles. The other models mentioned are much more expensive. I see a lot of bad reviews about the low tech features of the Impalas but it's still newer than what I have now. I'm more concerned with engine and transmission reliability and any major failures. I can even find the loaded LTZ models I want for nothing much more or even the same price with slightly higher mileage.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Another alternative would be a Crown Vic BTW.... and they are cheap (as Colt45ws can attest to).

Yeah the wife ain't going to go for a crown vic.... Rear wheel drive, V8, low MPG, and too big.

Yeah, they aren't for everyone. More for me! :p

I really keep finding myself coming back to the 2012-2013 Impalas everytime I look.

This is what Edmunds says when comparing the impala to others though...

Instead we strongly suggest full-size sedan shoppers have a look at more up-to-date competitors including the Buick LaCrosse, Chrysler 300, Ford Taurus and Hyundai Azera. Each is better to drive, more refined, nicer inside and generally more modern. Or you could wait a bit for the impressive new Chevrolet Impala that's just around the corner.

Bah, what do they know. I don't even want to know what they would say about a Crown Vic. More modern != better. To me a car's first job is to be a car and everything else is secondary.
But then Im the guy that has been looking into ordering a Police package Explorer 'cause its as bare bones of a modern vehicle as you will get.
Have you test driven an Impala? If you find one you like and can get a good deal on it, who cares?
Have you looked at mid-size sedans? My Mom's Fusion has a fair amount of room in it.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Have you test driven an Impala? If you find one you like and can get a good deal on it, who cares?
Have you looked at mid-size sedans? My Mom's Fusion has a fair amount of room in it.

No i have not done any test drives yet, i am waiting to have cash in hand before i do any hard inquires on my credit. I have been browsing truecar, carmax, autotrader and cars.com etc...

I have been avoiding the Fusion because of the transmission issues i have heard? I am not sure if it's the same transmission or not since they co-designed it with ford.

The Impala i know has a dipstick for the transmission, so that's a huge plus!

Talked with the wife about it a bit and the current "best" idea we agreed on is that we put a large amount of money down on a "newer" car and i just ride the Buick the way it is to it's grave since i only need it back and forth to work about 4 miles each way.

Looking at putting the money i was going to use to repair the buick down on a 2012 Impala i found with only 40k miles for $10k, so somewhere between $2000-$3000 down should keep my payments nice and manageable.

Here is the one i am going to try to get... Price is the lowest 2012 Impala in the entire country with that mileage according to TrueCar and many others. If only i had a CarFax...

http://www.mikecastruccialexandria.com/v...nati-id-7788905

Here's the VIN
2G1WB5E35C1190092

ks2uu.png

The transmission in the Buick was slipping really hard last night after a long highway drive, it felt like the wheels were hopping from lack of traction if I gave it heavy throttle. I am re thinking if it's going to make it very long with no attention or not.

On the drive into work today it was fine though so it's really difficult to decide.

I talked it over with the wife again and if we have can get the Impala with less money down I will get the $2200 rebuild at pro transmission with 3 year 36k mile warranty for the buick. I am fairly sure he's not doing everything I want like triple edge will, but with the warranty if it makes it three years I should be doing well then.

Tax refund should hit this week and when it does I'm going to be stopping by the dealership that morning.

Will update whatever happens then, I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to get approved for this car loan and even so if they won't get my payments to my comfort level I'll just have to walk away

It's so temperamental, my pressure control solenoid must be going in and out. Last night I had it good and warm on a nice dark road, took it wide open throttle all the way up through first and second gear to about 60 MPH with no slips but still bangs.

I went to the can lot today to get the red impala and they bait and switched me, they told me the impala was sold at auction this morning and then wouldn't approve me for a loan anyways.

I wasted my time again now I'm back to searching for a mechanic to install a triple edge transmission possibly.

I never use lucas its way thick for my liking. I have used a bottle of transmedic it's only $5 at autozone. Never have I had to rebuild a transmission for slipping issues. My Dodge has been on transmedic for 8 years now. It would not move at a stop until it revved up then it would slam in gear. Has been fine now since transmedic was in, 8 years so I know it works and won't damage anything else. My 4t65e started acting funny after changing the fluid with Valvoline a few years ago. It would sometimes rev and slam after a stop, sometimes at about 30 mph when giving it gas to speed up would slam and bang. I changed to Supertech dex 3 and added lubegard and it's been fine since then. The lubguard keeps the solenoids from sticking and it shift just right. I keep transmedic on my shelf in case of future issues with either one. If nothing is broken that's all I need to keep going.

Okay guys time for a major update to the thread, I finally submitted my order for a triple edge standard transmission rebuild and am getting the ball rolling on that.

I got a referral for an excellent mechanic who is going to install it for me and I am going to have him look at a couple other things while I'm there.

The back log for triple edge rebuilds is 2 weeks or so plus a couple days shipping and a couple days to install it possibly.

I'm looking forward to getting this transmission in there and moving my worry to other parts of the car.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
Many people have installed shift kits in these trans and took care of the long shift problems.Those quotes see kinda high to me.I took mine out and took it to a trans place they charged me 500.00 and I picked it up a week later.Another option would be to buy the parts yourself and then see what they would charge.I would shop around.Rock auto has remans and car-part.com as well even ebay.

am carparts Im told has great deals.....

Im not sure if link is allowed but simply Google am auto parts and there is a section for clutch packs

Okay guys time for a major update to the thread, I finally submitted my order for a triple edge standard transmission rebuild and am getting the ball rolling on that.

I got a referral for an excellent mechanic who is going to install it for me and I am going to have him look at a couple other things while I'm there.

The back log for triple edge rebuilds is 2 weeks or so plus a couple days shipping and a couple days to install it possibly.

I'm looking forward to getting this transmission in there and moving my worry to other parts of the car.

why are you going to use valvoline maxx life atf?? Isnt that for high mileage transmissions and it has seal conditioner / sweller?

Why not use the real deal A/C Delco.. I have some pics but not sure what year or kind of buick you have.

However GM / A/C Delco makes good ATF

29or9jm.jpg

I would think this would be better then Valvone Max Life... Or perhaps the regular Valvoline ATF in the blue jug.. I just dont know about useing high milage atf in a new / rebuilt tranning.. Unless the torch converter is not new or I dunno... Can you tell me why you want to use the valvoline max life and not the real deal a/c delco atf?
remember the maxx life is for high mileage transmissions...
Perhaps Im wrong..... I wonder how anyone else feels?

2w353x1.jpg

also read on valvoline site.. its for high milage trannys

MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF

The first ATF for 75,000 miles & beyond

High-performance seal conditioners maintain and preserve the elasticity of seals to help prevent leaks
Long-life friction modifiers and premium base oils help improve smooth shifting, eliminate slippage and shudder, prevent clutch wear and improve drivability longer than conventional fluids
Advanced anti-wear agents provide wear protection for smoother shifts under all driving conditions
Enhanced cleaning additives help reduce varnish formation and keep the transmission running properly longer
Engineered with a unique blend of viscosity modifiers and base oils to provide better oil flow at low temperatures and greater film protection at higher temperatures

I know it says its compatable with rebuilt transmissions however wouldn't you rather use something that is just not compatible but recommended?
perhaps you can explain or others can..

I mean thats like putting max life oil in a brand new car engine or a manufactured engine...

I dont think people would do that b/c max life oil is for high milage engines.. I would think that would go with transmissions also.

Also I found out what they mean with compatible.. that means you can mix / add max life atf in a new transmission that just needs to be topped off.. Thats what I was told that means.. Its compatible with fluid already there....

Overview

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Do you know, can you buy a Jasper transmission outright? I was looking on their site (for my Sienna) and it seemed like it was install-only.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
As long as they do all the necessary upgrades and repairs, then go for it.

I'm still a big Jasper fan boy though.

I took a look at the jasper site and watched there video... very nice.

My family owns a repair shop with used car sales and we out sorce transmission jobs to a place a few miles away that gives us a better deal then they will give to a customer.
Shops out sorce jobs all the time.. we do that with exhaust work also.

Anyways I went to the transmission place and was able to look in the rooms that they rebuild them and it was very simular.. Whats cool is the guys that rebuild them do not install them at that shop.. they have techs that do the R&R...

Perhaps I can go to Michigan one day b4 my Honda trans blows.. 192k miles on original trans.... That shop would do a rebuild and do the R&R for 800$ with torch converter.

One time when I was in Michigan I had a Chevy citation ** This was years ago ** and it only had 30k miles on it but the torch converter or the trans was bad and i couldn't sell it. That place Im talking about put in new trans and torch converter for 400$

This was back in 1997 but I talked to my family they still give our shop great deals.

Maxlife is superior to DexronVI from the research I have. It's marketed as a high mileage fluid but it's really just an awesome bargain synthetic. It doesn't contain seal swellers it contains seal conditioners which all transmission fluids already do.

This is what's included in the rebuild I'm getting.

Thorough inspection during dissassembly
-Any questionable or excessively worn hardpart is replaced
-Hardened 4th clutch shaft
-Seals, gaskets, orings, and teflon sealing rings
-New USA made filter
-All new Borg Warner clutch plates and modified clutch stackup for improved shift feel
-New Forward apply band
-New thrust washers
-Common failure bushings replaced, others inspected and replaced as needed
-New stator support bearing
-Select bearings replaced standard, others inspected and replaced as needed
-New aftermarket input sun gear
-Reconditioned input clutch piston

-All new solenoids in valve body including
-Borg Warner PCS for 97-02, OE AC Delco/Bosch for 03+ model years
-Borg Warner TCC PWM solenoid
-OE AC Delco shift solenoids

-Pressure switch manifold cleaned and tested, replaced as needed
-Wiring harness thoroughly tested and replaced as needed
-Transgo shift kit- this is NOT a performance kit but greatly improves shift feel,
includes a few upgraded internal seals and vastly improved accumulator spring set

-Sonnax Sure-Cure kit which includes these upgraded parts
-TCC apply valve
-TCC regulated apply valve
-TCC relief valve
-Improved boost valve and sleeve
-AFL valve and sleeve
-Lube tube retainer, improved check balls, pump slide pivot pin

-Precision reman torque converter matched to your vehicle
-18 Month / 24K mile warranty*

This is what's included in the rebuild I'm getting.

Thorough inspection during dissassembly
-Any questionable or excessively worn hardpart is replaced
-Hardened 4th clutch shaft
-Seals, gaskets, orings, and teflon sealing rings
-New USA made filter
-All new Borg Warner clutch plates and modified clutch stackup for improved shift feel
-New Forward apply band
-New thrust washers
-Common failure bushings replaced, others inspected and replaced as needed
-New stator support bearing
-Select bearings replaced standard, others inspected and replaced as needed
-New aftermarket input sun gear
-Reconditioned input clutch piston

-All new solenoids in valve body including
-Borg Warner PCS for 97-02, OE AC Delco/Bosch for 03+ model years
-Borg Warner TCC PWM solenoid
-OE AC Delco shift solenoids

-Pressure switch manifold cleaned and tested, replaced as needed
-Wiring harness thoroughly tested and replaced as needed
-Transgo shift kit- this is NOT a performance kit but greatly improves shift feel,
includes a few upgraded internal seals and vastly improved accumulator spring set

-Sonnax Sure-Cure kit which includes these upgraded parts
-TCC apply valve
-TCC regulated apply valve
-TCC relief valve
-Improved boost valve and sleeve
-AFL valve and sleeve
-Lube tube retainer, improved check balls, pump slide pivot pin

-Precision reman torque converter matched to your vehicle
-18 Month / 24K mile warranty*

sounds good i would just select another AT Fluid If it were me.. but good luck.

also in max life spec says to stop leaks??? so whats that seal conditioner do???

most times it swells them ?? Correct?

good luck.
Im sure it will be great
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back