Affects of higher RPMs on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I checked the Envoy's engine oil yesterday morning, the color was close to lemon yellow. The oil (M1 5W-30 ESP) had a little under 6,000 miles on it and was full. I run Euro V gasoline, which is a perfect match for this oil.

Earlier in the evening, something work related came up and I had to respond code 3. The RPM range was 3,200 - 6,000 rpm for roughly half an hour - an average of about 3,200 - 3,500 and up to ~6,000 rpm under WOT after I had to slow down for vehicles slow to yield. Coolant temperatures varied between 184 F - 190 F - I think my thermostat (190 F) may be due for replacement. ATF temperatures varied between 150 F - 163 F.

There was barely a change in the OLM afterwards - it dropped from 52.9% to 52.5% - but the oil was considerably darker in color (no change in oil level). The oil's now more of a dark caramel color. Color is not always an indicator of oil condition, but would it be safe to assume that 30 minute "Italian tune up" broke quite a bit of carbon loose into the oil?

Heat helps the cleaning and specially the dispersity or dirty on the oil, but also an increased oxidation is a factor.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
........Coolant temperatures varied between 184 F - 190 F - I think my thermostat (190 F) may be due for replacement. ATF temperatures varied between 150 F - 163 F.

Actually, the fact that it didn't get over 190 F a bit is strange. Some cars exceed their thermostat setting in spirited driving. My car exceeds when at long idling. Your thermostat is doing everything right here.

You only drove it like this for a half an hour and IMO, it's really not that bad. I drove a car with the transmission in limp home mode for a year and had high RPM's for a year with no ill effects (just used more gas and oil).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back