Kendall oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Fordbossguy
Yeah, I think I'm going to start running it. Where can I find it online 5w-20 full sny.

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/1057228.html

To your listed location( Springfield, MO )it would run you approx. $5.25 p/qt if you order 2 cases at a time( see response below to the other member about shipping ). IMO Kendall oil is vastly underrated and is on par with or even better than the well known name brand offerings like M!, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc... Very good stuff!

If your shown location is right your order should be $94.96( 2 cases ) + $30.97 shipping = $125.93 / 24 = $5.25 p/qt

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I like the oil , I just can't seem to ever find it on sale or in stock anywhere .

You can get it online, but after shipping charges it's not worth it.

That is actually not true( re: too much with shipping ). Especially for guys like you and me here in New England. I can get Kendall full synthetic, HM, or blend delivered for the same cost or usually even less p/qt, including the shipping, than the name brand oils in 5qt jugs at Wal-Mart.

Order from PSC and get 2 cases at a time( best shipping deal is always 2 cases with them ). I will show 5W20 full synthetic below as that is what the OP asked about...

$47.48 p/case X2 = $94.96
shipping to NH = $21.57
Total 2 cases shipped = $116.53
24 qts / $116.53 = $4.85 p/qt

Local Wal-Marts here have the name brand 5qt jugs for anywhere from $24-$29 regular price. So the Kendall is right there or even less depending on what you compare it to.

This applies at least to people in our area on the East Coast and/or for those close to PSC's shipping location( PA ). The closer you are to them the less shipping is. The further away the more it costs. Shipping to the West Coast probably makes it too expensive but it sure isn't for those around us.

I know I'm bringing up a thread that's a couple weeks old, but I came across some coupon codes for Petroleum Service Company which reminded me of this thread.

You can use the coupon code: COMEBACK10 to get 10% off your order (not including shipping), you can also use the code COMEBACK5 to get 5% off your order but I don't know why you'd use that when you could get twice the discount with the first one.

My ad blocker got disabled somehow, so ads with those coupon codes were being displayed for me. Hopefully they'll help someone save some cash.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Blended up by ConocoPhillips, it's probably good stuff.
Always found Kendall's 'peace sign' logo to be appealing!

Kendall gets two thumbs --er-- fingers up. Should be good stuff. I don't think you can go wrong with any big name brand synthetic these days though. I just don't see any stinkers among Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker, Valvoline, Mobil1, SuperTech, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Kendall, etc. No stand-outs. Maybe if you count the extended-use oils like Castrol Edge Extended Perf, maybe a marginally better product.

I think if Conoco-Phillips put more emphasis on marketing the Kendall brand and expanding distribution, they could get more market share. It has a good history as a name, and is a good value in synthetic oil.

Kendall didn't work out for me. Didn't keep my 2.3L engine clean despite limiting it to 5k mile OCIs. I used the blend.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Kendall didn't work out for me. Didn't keep my 2.3L engine clean despite limiting it to 5k mile OCIs. I used the blend.

That's odd that Kendall didn't clean well in your Ford, since it's the sister of Motorcraft blend and the TropArtic you now use.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

That's odd that Kendall didn't clean well in your Ford, since it's the sister of Motorcraft blend and the TropArtic you now use.

It isn't really related to those other two oils at all other than who makes it. Completely different add packs and probably base stock and neither trop artic nor motorcraft advertise cleaning or keeping an engine clean capabilities.

It isn't really related to those other two oils at all other than who makes it. Completely different add packs and probably base stock and neither trop artic nor motorcraft advertise cleaning or keeping an engine clean capabilities.

Doubtful. COMPLETELY different for Kendall, TropArtic, 76, Conoco and Motorcraft synthetic blends? Even common sense says otherwise.

I run both Trop Artic and Motorcraft and while they don't say anything about cleaning on their bottles, they both say that they prevent sludge and varnish formation which I take it to mean that they should keep your engine from getting very dirty.

My 2014 Mustang GT is my only vehicle that I have used the same oil in it since new and that has been the Motorcraft. I don't plan on changing to something different so I guess if my engine ever needs any work, I will see how well it kept the inside clean.

Wayne

Doubtful. COMPLETELY different for Kendall, TropArtic, 76, Conoco and Motorcraft synthetic blends? Even common sense says otherwise.

Just browse the VOAs. Kendall has a completely different add pack based on their Ti technology.

Originally Posted By: wtd
I run both Trop Artic and Motorcraft and while they don't say anything about cleaning on their bottles, they both say that they prevent sludge and varnish formation which I take it to mean that they should keep your engine from getting very dirty.

My 2014 Mustang GT is my only vehicle that I have used the same oil in it since new and that has been the Motorcraft. I don't plan on changing to something different so I guess if my engine ever needs any work, I will see how well it kept the inside clean.

Wayne

You should read the bottles again. Trop Artic says "minimizes engine sludge." It says nothing about prevention, cleaning or reducing existing sludge

Wayne

You should read the bottles again. Trop Artic says "minimizes engine sludge." It says nothing about prevention, cleaning or reducing existing sludge

My TropArtic bottle does not say "minimizes engine sludge" It says "protects against engine sludge and varnish formation"

You are correct that it doesn't say anything about cleaning existing sludge or varnish but I have not seen many oils that so say that or take a dirty engine and completely clean it.

If TropArtic doesn't work for you than I would try something else. There are tons of choices out there.

Wayne

You should read the bottles again. Trop Artic says "minimizes engine sludge." It says

My TropArtic bottle does not say "minimizes engine sludge" It says "protects against engine sludge and varnish formation"

You are correct that it doesn't say anything about cleaning existing sludge or varnish but I have not seen many oils that so say that or take a dirty engine and completely clean it.

If TropArtic doesn't work for you than I would try something else. There are tons of choices out there.

Wayne

I wonder if your bottles are older than mine. Mine were bought last summer and have it as I typed and also show up that way on google image search.

Trop Artic will work fine for me. I'm not going to run it w/out some additive help. It was free oil for me.

also, did some looking over data sheets it appears that MC, TA and Kendall blends are related like this:

Starting with MC base stock and Additives.
-Trop Artic shares the same add pack but different base stock. MC looks to be loaded with VIIs.
-Kendall shares the same base stock as Trop Artic but has a completely different Ti based add pack.

So kendall is not at all similar to MC but Trop Artic appears to be related to both. For those wanting to compare the properties:

TA data sheet: http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/docu...Sw%20778618.pdf

Kendall Data sheet: http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/documents/Kendall/engine_oil/Ken%20GT-1%20High%20Perf%20Syn%20Blend%20MO%20(Ti)%20TDSw%20815899.pdf

MC 5W20 blend data sheet: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...20Synthetic.pdf

Last edited:
badtlc, Yep that was my take on it. Sure Conoco-Phillips makes all, so you'd expect this. Looks like they reserve the "extra-special" titanium AW additive for the top-of-the-line Kendall GT-1 semi-syn and full syn ONLY.

This whole subject of WHO uses titanium (Ti) anti-wear (AW) additives in which oil has got me a little puzzled. I know Castrol synthetics all use some, although its less PPM, than Kendall GT-1 semi-syn. Then, Ti shows up in Mobil Super conventional cheap stuff! .... I'll start another thread with the off-topic question.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
This whole subject of WHO uses titanium (Ti) anti-wear (AW) additives in which oil has got me a little puzzled. I know Castrol synthetics all use some, although its less PPM, than Kendall GT-1 semi-syn. Then, Ti shows up in Mobil Super conventional cheap stuff! .... I'll start another thread with the off-topic question.

As I understand it Titanium does a similar job as Moly does, but does it at a lower temperature and costs less.

While it does seem weird that Castrol and Kendall reserve it for their top oils, maybe the affordability of Titanium over Moly is why Mobil put it in their conventional. They wanted the benefits without the cost of Moly, and didn't want to mess with their established M1 formula. Obviously this is just purely a guess.

My bottles just came out of a new case I just bought last week. The copyright date on the label is 2013 so maybe there is a newer one out than that.

I'm not going to obsess over the differences between the different phillips 66 oils. I think they all would work fine for my uses.

Wayne

I just changed the oil today in my 2014 Mustang GT. The car has 11,349 miles on it and I had 6,660 miles on the oil change. It was almost a year ago when I changed the oil last.

The oil that I took out was Motorcraft 5W-20 with a Motorcraft FL500s filter. It was still clear looking on the dipstick and inside the oil fill hole using a flashlight, everything looked spotless.

The OLM was at 2%. It appears that the Motorcraft is keeping things very clean.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back