Aluminum Ford in Edmunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
The vast majority of trucks in TX are worked.

this thread is full of so much humor.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: supton
I guess a lot of the aluminum is being produced locally for the FISO! Certainly a good thing for the dead CNY economy. I have a friend who has a dedicated run delivering molten Aluminum from Oswego NY to Maseena NY for this!

Molten or ingots?

Molten, I believe.

I believe otherwise.

http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/19224
Seems crazy but its true!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/19224
Seems crazy but its true!

That's super... but it doesn't mean that the aluminum is being transported in a molten state in a tanker truck. It just means that somebody has (rightfully) worked up an MSDS for molten aluminum.

Well it does have a DOT number in the MSDS, but just google it... You can get 30k lb containers of it shipped on flat beds.

Sometimes, I swear people do things just because they technically can, with no consideration of whether they should.

While I'll grant you that it would be possible to transport a container of molten aluminum, the idea of doing so is setting off all kinds of alarms in my head. For starters, the insulation and containment would account for at least a quarter (and likely closer to half) of your weight. The energy required to melt an aluminum ingot is a pittance compared to the energy that was required to reduce the bauxite in the first place, so once you're dealing with metallic aluminum, most of the work is already done. The energy you'd save by transporting it in liquid form is more than paid for in dunnage and insurance.

Trucking red-hot ingots wrapped in insulation on flat beds? Sure... I can see doing that all day. But that isn't even close to what it would take to transport it in liquid form.

Supton. No the gasket was intact. This started with a small key scratch near the lock similar the finger nail scratches under the door handles we all get.
The paint must have loosened (thats my only guess) and withing a very short time is spread under the paint like wildfire.

There are many. many grades of aluminum and steel, i wouldn't even pretend to know what is being used in the new Ford or what was used on the GMC.
I have some sheet metal i get from a sheet metal fabrication shop, i have a piece i cut off a year ago and has been in the elements ever since.
It has some slight surface rust in places but is basically clear. It has no protective coatings or oil on it whatsoever. A cheap piece of steel like the stuff found in home improvement stores would be almost completely disintegrated by this time.

Maybe GM thought the tailgate is not a very vulnerable spot so they used a lower grade aluminum. I don't know, i just fix em. lol

If i were to buy a truck i need a working truck not a cowboy Cadillac.
V8 or diesel, 2WD, HD cloth seats, A/C, Heat and a AM/FM radio are all it needs along with big heavy suspension and steel wheels with an 8ft flat side bed and a bed light.
Or same truck with 4X4 and a plow. The rest is just useless frills.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is Ford moving out of the working man's market into the more lucrative upmarket for those that go to Home Depot every now and then?

No, Ford trucks are sold to the same buyers as GM and Dodge. Price will be competitive with all three. They will still sell to high end customers, middle of the road, and low end bare bones trucks. Nothing has changed customer wise.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint about the new F150 is that the grill is ugly as sin. No matter how I build one online I can't find a combo that doesn't look *****.

Right now I'd say Toyota and Ford are jumping head first down the tonka truck ugly tree. GM has a hard on for the 1950's with their massive amounts of chrome.

Ram and Nissan make the best looking half tons right now. With the Silverado right behind if you get a lower spec front end without so much bling. Just don't go to low spec and get the black hole plastic front end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Buy it. In 50k miles when you have problems live with it. More and more issues are coming up with Aluminum but people are ignoring that. The industry is not ready for Aluminum in this manner...

In the meantime ROLL on STEEL...

Can you explain why this isn't happening to the thousands of commercial vehicles that use aluminum?

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
LOL @ steel haters

Can we call you an anything new hater?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You get a big old paint chip or dent and lose your paint on an aluminum truck, what happens? Nothing. You expose bare aluminum. What happens with a steel bodied truck? It will start to rust (particularly up here!) and you will eventually get perforation and the problem spreads.
Think about it.

That rust thing again. Our trucks are ALL galvanized except the roof, so rust is not an issue here, and should at least be slowed up there.

BTW, those accusing Edmunds of being disingenuous should note that the Ford dealer took pity on their truck and only charged HALF the regular labor rate!

Tig, I just bought a pickup after a year of shopping. Comparable Fords were at least 10 grand more than my Ram, a HUGE pricing disparity. Then factor in their outdated and substandard warranty...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That's wild, looks nothing like the spot on our hood
21.gif

What year of truck is that Trav?

2006 GMC. Seems some aluminum bodies and panels are better than others. Who knows.

I agree with this. Back in the day, my parents both has Z71 Tahoes.. His was a white 2001 and hers was a pewter 2002. Both had aluminum hatchbacks. The white one corroded around the pinch seem while the pewter one was clean. Both received the same amount of care.. I would actually argue that moms received a little less, but she disagrees. Lol.

I miss those trucks.. Some of the coolest SUVs on the road IMO.

The trunk (and hood I think?) on the GFs Volvo is aluminum and has no corrosion whatsoever. It sleeps outside year round too.

Originally Posted By: supton
I guess a lot of the aluminum is being produced locally for the FISO! Certainly a good thing for the dead CNY economy. I have a friend who has a dedicated run delivering molten Aluminum from Oswego NY to Maseena NY for this!

Molten or ingots?

Molten, I believe.

I believe otherwise.

Have confirmed, molten aluminum.

We have all seen aluminum used before. Folks here are acting like its never been done before.

The only thing I have to add to this is we just need to sit back and wait.. Check up on these trucks in about 5 years in Indiana, New York etc. and see how well they are holding up. The service trucks seem to take the biggest beating so keep any eye out for those too.

Judging from the price examples seen here, aluminum isn't much different than steel.. Might just take a bit more man hours.
21.gif

As far as rust goes, I can think of a few issues with both GM and Ford had with their steel bodies. The biggest one being bare steel inside a wheel well along with areas a wet salty sand mixture is able to collect and sit.. After going down a dirt road and chipping some paint off, I give it 1 good Indiana winter before they start rusting. Nowadays a liner seems to be an additional option?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back