Aluminum Ford in Edmunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

American are build in Steel and Concrete, not aluminum, and let keep it that way.

Does the engine in your truck have aluminum heads?

Come on dude, that's a ridiculous statement.

I an more concerned with the made in China parts. Aluminum body panels ? look at the semi trucks aluminum or fiberglass.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

American are build in Steel and Concrete, not aluminum, and let keep it that way.

Does the engine in your truck have aluminum heads?

Come on dude, that's a ridiculous statement.

Lol how can you compare engine part to a whole truck body part ? Replace or repair a rear quater panel on this aluminum ford truck cost double of what aluminum engine head .

yes I saw that video where the guy sled hammber that 2 small damage and cost him if without discount will cost $4,000+, this new aluminum idea is not only will cost Consumer more moneys for repair and also most important more time to repair.

and one more thing, if you a true truck guys, and need a true tough steel work horse, and not just for look and garage queen or gas miles, you want a steel truck.

and seriously how much different on gas miles between aluminum body and steel body, very tiny $$ comparing, just couple dollar more, if you working that money is nothing.

I alway believe steel are better safety and protection then aluminum, same with jack stand, I trust in steel jackstand then a aluminum jackstand when im under it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/...artner=yahootix

Here's a link to the Edmunds video showing them attacking the fender with a sledge hammer. It was surprisingly dent-resistant.

My wife was caught out in a near tennis ball sized hailstorm in her (our) Xj8. There was almost no damage to the aluminum Xj8. The stones busted windows out of, and pretty well bashed the snot out of, everything parked around it. The handful of small impressions on the car popped back out on their own after a few really hot days.

The aluminum may be more expensive to repair, but I doubt it would need it very often.

Originally Posted By: Win

Here's a link to the Edmunds video showing them attacking the fender with a sledge hammer. It was surprisingly dent-resistant.

My wife was caught out in a near tennis ball sized hailstorm in her (our) Xj8. There was almost no damage to the aluminum Xj8. The stones busted windows out of, and pretty well bashed the snot out of, everything parked around it. The handful of small impressions on the car popped back out on their own after a few really hot days.

The aluminum may be more expensive to repair, but I doubt it would need it very often.

and when it need repair, the cost will make up the rest of the time
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Win

and when it need repair, the cost will make up the rest of the time
laugh.gif

It's gone a decade without needing any, so I'n not real worried about the next decade, and in the meantime I've enjoyed all the advantages a bonded aluminum structure provides: high strength, light weight, and extreme rigidity compared to a welded steel structure.

Bonded aluminum is hands down the best way to build a vehicle. Welded steel is stone age in comparison.

Last edited:
Leave it to Ford to solve a problem that they created, with their morbidly obese pickup trucks.... and then create a completely new problem, by doubling and tripling the cost of a body shop visit.

Thanks, morons.

Lol how can you compare engine part to a whole truck body part ? Replace or repair a rear quater panel on this aluminum ford truck cost double of what aluminum engine head .

Because you were coming down on the metal, not where it was used, LOL
wink.gif

But regarding your statement, I'm guessing you missed this earlier in the thread
21.gif

Originally Posted By: tcp71
That's being a bit ingenuous.

The price of the quarter panel was exactly the same as the same panel in steel for a 2014 truck. Replacement no. for #2015F150 right boxside: FL3Z-9527840-A $967.48. 2014 F-150: AL3Z8427840B $967.48.

The $800 taillight included the sensors for the blind spot system. The normal price without the sensor is around $100.

So it would appear that the aluminum and steel quarter panels are the same price.

yes I saw that video where the guy sled hammber that 2 small damage and cost him if without discount will cost $4,000+, this new aluminum idea is not only will cost Consumer more moneys for repair and also most important more time to repair.

Time? Yes. Aluminum requires more, and different prep work, but it would appear cost of material is the same. The big benefit is for those in the rust belt who won't get body rust perforation and all the other issues we have with steel bodies up here. These trucks will last longer and hold their value better, assuming paint adhesion isn't an issue.

and one more thing, if you a true truck guys, and need a true tough steel work horse, and not just for look and garage queen or gas miles, you want a steel truck.

Why? What does the steel truck offer over the aluminum truck in terms of durability, load capacity...etc? Nothing! I can see the concerns about body repairs potentially being an issue with the additional labour, but it is no less of a truck simply because a new material is used for body panels.

and seriously how much different on gas miles between aluminum body and steel body, very tiny $$ comparing, just couple dollar more, if you working that money is nothing.

I alway believe steel are better safety and protection then aluminum, same with jack stand, I trust in steel jackstand then a aluminum jackstand when im under it.

Plenty of structural parts are made from Aluminum nowadays. Control arms, subframes, tie rods....etc. I don't personally care about the gas mileage, to me the big boon is going to be the fact it doesn't rust
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Aluminum will corrode, its not bullet proof.

Yeah, but it isn't like the massive issue with rust perforation that exists in the northern states and Canada. I have never seen an aluminum hood with a hole in it for example.

Buy it. In 50k miles when you have problems live with it. More and more issues are coming up with Aluminum but people are ignoring that. The industry is not ready for Aluminum in this manner...

In the meantime ROLL on STEEL...

Last edited:
Buy it. In 50k miles when you have problems live with it.

My interest in how well they've dealt with the paint adhesion issue. We lost a big chunk off the front of our hood last year due to a rock (no dent!) and it has slowly grown. This isn't uncommon with the aluminum hoods unfortunately and the cost to have it fixed (due to the additional labour) is significantly more than having work done elsewhere on the truck with conventional materials
21.gif

I think the newer Chevrolet truck commercials advertising that their trucks are built fully from high strength steel are interesting. Let the mud-slinging begin!

The vast majority of trucks in TX are worked. We don't typically roll around just for show. I would buy the aluminum Ford and not stress over it. Only in the event of major damage would I pay for repairs. Little dings and scratches are nothing.

Incidentally I do think repairs have the potential to come down, as more and more aluminum trucks hit the road and their repairs become more commonplace.

Buy it. In 50k miles when you have problems live with it. More and more issues are coming up with Aluminum but people are ignoring that. The industry is not ready for Aluminum in this manner...

haha me too, I aint fall for ford test subject, ford like the idea of throwing idea out there and let peoples testing it. And hope their warranty rant out before problem start.

On the mean time, Roll on Steel here too.

About rust thing, that ford will fall apart before worried abour rust lol. Mabe its good to just park there for year or until get money to repair it
laugh.gif

I believe something been work for motor vehicle for 40-50+ years rolling on steel, why change ? and their truck been #1 selling truck for years, this way they heading will down the ladder.

Let see. Most of ford truck guys I know already having second though about this aluminum ford, they might switch brand or stay with the ford truck they have now and wait to see the change.

Aluminum will corrode, its not bullet proof.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

We disagree on many things, I'm sure, but yes. Aluminum just flakes away. That's what is going to happen to these trucks

Yeah, but it isn't like the massive issue with rust perforation that exists in the northern states and Canada. I have never seen an aluminum hood with a hole in it for example.

Pretty much every Explorer, F150, TaurusX/Freestyle, Expedition around here has flaking away hoods here in Central NY

I don't know, many new and old pickup trucks I see contractors use around here are all pretty beaten up and dented and the owners don't seem to be in a huge hurry to fix these imperfections. I don't see how aluminum body will cause problems for these guys?

On the other hand, I can see this being problematic for the "hauling the lunch box" crowd.

2015 Ford F150 RF fender Part Number: 16005 USA BUILT
Price: $354.78

2014 GMC Sierra RF fender Part Number: 19302719 MEXICO BUILT
Price: $483.33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back