Shaving like a Russian Rapira razor review

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a follow up to a recent thread on Rapira razor blades that are currently being sold on Ebay.

I have for some time been dissatisfied with the shave I have been getting, having spent a fortune on the latest and greatest wobbly head multi blade razors and various type of disposable razor.
After reading some threads on this site I decided I might try Old School Double edge razor shaving.
But did not know where to start.

I recent review of Rapira DE blades caused me to go to ebay where I found a listing for a Rapira DE razor and 5 blades $3.99 = $6 shipping. I thought I'd go for it.

The Razor and blades arrived yesterday from Moscow and I had my first shave last night.

This is my first ever DE razor so my review is subjective.
The razor looks to be good quality, it's a 3 part razor, Handle, Head and Cap. Screwing on the Handle holds it all together.
The Handle is mainly (fare quality) Plastic and metal where it fits to the head.
All other parts are Die cast (Pot mental?) and are quite well made. the blade fits accurately and securely. Overall the razor looks as good as many vintage razors I have seen.

Shaving for the first time the razor has more Heft than I have been used to, but i quickly became accustomed. The blade is incredibly Sharp! I did not cut myself, but one pass takes ALL the whiskers (I estimate that one shave with this buys me 24 hours of shaving with my previous razor)
The head is kind of big, and I will have to become accustomed as to where the cut will start when I use it.
I only used one side of the razor and the blade seems just as sharp as when I started. So I guess it will be good for at least 4 shaves.

Overall I am VERY please with my purchase.
But, as I say, this is my first DE razor experience, so my review is subjective.

My dad always shaved with a double edge razor, and I used to wonder why he didn't switch to a modern day Gillette or the equivalent. Now I'm hearing more and more about how the double edge razor shaves better. Maybe he was right all along.

I switched back to double edge shaving 4 years ago. IIRC

The Russian blades are top quality IMO and are an excellent buy at this time.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
don't see these in local stores any more.

Other than at the hospital, I wouldn't know where to find DE razor blades locally. Ask for razor blades at Safeway, and they look at you like you are suicidal. I've been buying my Feathers online for over 15 years.

hotwheels

I've been thinking about trying a DE razor. I have bad skin and always have difficulty shaving too frequently, even with a blade (Gillette Fusion). I want to try getting in to it, without committing too much money. Is that Russian razor handle a good start? Anyone have any other recommendations?

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
Anyone have any other recommendations?

I would buy a used Gillette Slim or Fatboy Adjustable on Ebay. If you have very large hands, the Fatboy with its bigger handle is more comfortable. These are adjustable razors that allow you to choose the blade angle, which determines aggressiveness of the shave. The only currently in-production adjustable DE razor is the Merkur Futur, I think. And that one has an unwieldly large head that will clash with your nose, and it costs a bundle.

Just make sure you properly sanitize any used razor before cutting yourself with it. Scrub , steam-clean, use Barbicide or at least alcohol.

Since your skin gets easily irritated, an adjustavle or mild non-adjustable razor seems to be the best choice. Read up on closed and open comb variants before committing to any particular model.

Prep properly by soaking your face with warm water, best done with a wet towel. You may want to use a pre-shave product. Use clear shaving gel if you need to see what you are doing. Use a good after shave lotion that does not irritate your skin.

hotwheels

http://www.abovethetie.com/?gallery_featured=3

I did not feel comfortable using a 'Used' vintage razor, nor committing a sizable chunk of money on something that might not work for me.

So far (after one shave) I am pleased with this razor, Well worth the total of $10

Originally Posted By: expat
I did not feel comfortable using a 'Used' vintage razor, nor committing a sizable chunk of money on something that might not work for me.

So far (after one shave) I am pleased with this razor, Well worth the total of $10

Nothing wrong with using a so called "used" razor. Most anything left on there from years past is long since dead, then clean said razor in a bleach solution.

Remember when you go out in public and eat at a restaurant, the dishes and silverwear is simply washed, you are eating off "used" dishes. When going to a motel you are sleeping on "used" sheets.

The Razor and blades arrived yesterday from Moscow and I had my first shave last night.

I'm glad you found one you like. I personally don't want to reward Russia or Russian companies with my business, especially with the recent elevated level of aggression of the Russian government.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels

Other than at the hospital, I wouldn't know where to find DE razor blades locally. Ask for razor blades at Safeway, and they look at you like you are suicidal. I've been buying my Feathers online for over 15 years.

hotwheels

Wilkinsons are sold at Bed Bath & Beyond stores, if they have a personal care section. I think the blades are 4.00 for a packet of 5.

The 5 Walmart stores I shop at all carry double edged blades, but nowhere near the quality of the Russian ones.

Ya, I realize all the politics involved, but lets not go there on this site.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I'm glad you found one you like. I personally don't want to reward Russia or Russian companies with my business, especially with the recent elevated level of aggression of the Russian government.

global economy Pop...
small anecdote: many years ago the Gilette double and triple blades in that part of Europe where made in Germany. then it swithched to made in Turkey. then heard some friends they got some batches made in Russia...
it depends where is the factory/warehouse/sales territory division...

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

hotwheels

Wilkinsons are sold at Bed Bath & Beyond stores, if they have a personal care section. I think the blades are 4.00 for a packet of 5.

Are men allowed at Bed Bath & Beyond?

hotwheels

hotwheels

hotwheels
Yes, but it's advised to enter there with a "beard", and I'm not talking the hair on one's face that they're looking to shave off.
grin.gif
Then to make your day, go to Bath and Body Works to get some C.O. Bigelow (rebranded Proraso) shave cream.

The things we men have to do to look good...
crackmeup2.gif

CVS carries their house-brand DE blades. They're a bit pricy, something like $7 for a 10-pack, but if you're a regular, they send 25% or 30% coupons towards non-sale items every now and then that makes the price a bit better. Walgreens has Derby blades, but only online. Free shipping for $25+ orders. Get you some Clubman aftershave and other things to pad the cart and you're all set.

hotwheels

hotwheels

Only for two hours on Saturdays.
Hours subject to change at manager's whim.
Your mileage may vary.
Read prospectus carefully before investing.
Close cover before striking.
Consult a certified professional before attempting.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Pop_Rivit said:
global economy Pop...

Which means that, just like products from China, I can choose to support them with my dollars or not to support them with my dollars.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Pop_Rivit said:
global economy Pop...

Which means that, just like products from China, I can choose to support them with my dollars or not to support them with my dollars.

Pop, i'm not busting you for using your own hard-earned money the way you want to.
i'm just saying they are filling a niche, that some of the american companies almost abandoned (at least in that part of europe/eastern europe).
we are blessed here to have(have access to) so many choices. and even greater at great prices.

We are talking $3.99 for the Razor and $6 postage for a Razor that was likely ripped off in the first place.

If I am advancing a Russian expansionism with my purchase
spankme2.gif

Fact is, I could not find a DE razor in the town I live in, and would likely have cost me more than $10 to go looking for one.

Get real guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back