2000 Honda Civic Oil Question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Honda Civic with 160,000 miles on it. Right now I have a FRAM Tough Guard and Maxlife High Milage oil. The "severe" service is at 3,750 miles. Can I really extend my oil change to 5,000 miles???

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah very easy on oil. 7.5K on dino and 10K on synthetic should be no problem.

Depending on your driving style, prior maintenance, and the engine's overall condition.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah very easy on oil. 7.5K on dino and 10K on synthetic should be no problem.

Depending on your driving style, prior maintenance, and the engine's overall condition.

lol if that engine is running then I agree with bubbatime, it will really run on anything.

I rebuilt two, none had any form of sludge, slight varnish maybe.

with maxlife 7.5k is easy! I would do 10k since its synthetic blend.

age (16-23) I had put on 320k on my 00 civic vp by the time I got rid of it, back then I maintained my car whenever I felt like it, and I mean that, at first 3k OCI and then randomly decided to go whenever I "felt like", easily did 20k+ OCI as I changed my oil once a year and drove 50kish in a year...

If I abused my engine like that and it ran, I can assure you 10k on synthetic blend is a joke with that engine.

Fram Tough Guard rated for 10k, and maxlife in that engine? I would do 10k OCI without a doubt.

You have one of THE MOST reliable cars on the planet. I have a 1999 civic EX with 450,000km. We still do 8000km OCI with Amsoil OE 5w30, with almost 1 qt top off oil between changes now. Used to use nothing between changes up until about ~300,000km, at which point it developed an oil pan leak, which I attribute 'part' of the oil loss to. I am going to fix it soon.

I love this engine!! So durable and easy on fuel, no matter how you drive it. Use whatever oil you want, a high mileage oil might be good for it as the seals are getting old and they will benefit from the seal conditioners.

BTW, I haven't touched the valve clearance in the life of the vehicle, I don't know if others have had to with the D16 or not, but I think that is impressive.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
You have one of THE MOST reliable cars on the planet. I have a 1999 civic EX with 450,000km. We still do 8000km OCI with Amsoil OE 5w30, with almost 1 qt top off oil between changes now. Used to use nothing between changes up until about ~300,000km, at which point it developed an oil pan leak, which I attribute 'part' of the oil loss to. I am going to fix it soon.

I love this engine!! So durable and easy on fuel, no matter how you drive it. Use whatever oil you want, a high mileage oil might be good for it as the seals are getting old and they will benefit from the seal conditioners.

BTW, I haven't touched the valve clearance in the life of the vehicle, I don't know if others have had to with the D16 or not, but I think that is impressive.

no need, honda recommended getting it checked at 45k i think? after that its not required.

Thanks everyone. I drive 100% city Chicago style driving. So I like to err on the side of caution. I will run it to 5,000.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Thanks everyone. I drive 100% city Chicago style driving. So I like to err on the side of caution. I will run it to 5,000.

100% city? ya then 5k makes sense, because at 100% I doubt you will get the oil to operating temperature.

100% city in Chicago?? Stick to 3-4k miles then especially since you're using dino. Oil is cheap.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic with 160,000 miles on it. Right now I have a FRAM Tough Guard and Maxlife High Milage oil. The "severe" service is at 3,750 miles. Can I really extend my oil change to 5,000 miles???

That depends, what type of driving do you do? Short trips, extended idle, long highway drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back