high performance MX quad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

This is the first time I've posted here once again in like 2-3 years. Back then, diesel oils like rotella and dello were still popular for all types of high performance MX engines in terms of total base numbers and zinc levels. With that said, I am building the following quad and was wondering if these oils still hold true or if there is a better suggestion.

2009 Suzuki Z400 with EFI

-13.5:1 +5.5mm big bore 2 ring piton (LTZ450)
-old style stage 2 hotcams
-full ported head
-CT sonic full exhaust
-will be using 100LL as an alternative to race race fuel

My concerns are needing an oil that works well with leaded fuel and iron sleeves. The big bore kit unfortunately uses an iron sleeve and has a higher wear rate as compared to the stock nikasil lined cylinder. Being this is a 2 ring piston as compared to the typical 3 ring piston, I would like an oil that is very shear resistant and will protect the rings and iron sleeve as best as possible. Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

I think I would go with Amsoil's 0W-40 Powersports oil.

AFF.jpg

Amsoil has a new oil they label as "dirt" oil made for racing dirt bikes. I intend to give it a go in my racing quads when I run out of my current stash. I'd say it would be just about what you're looking for in your new engine.

As far as diesel oils go, I've found the clutch too grabby and the shifting notchy, not my cup of tea, especially when racing. The Amsoil Motorcycle 10w40 has been good to me over several years. I will try the dirt oil and see if it's any better.

In one sense, I've never really impressed with Amsoil's marketing tactics. For instance, all the studies posted on the internet showing that Amsoil is superior then all other brand X oils are all funded by Amsoil. Go figure, if your paying to have your product studied, I would want to be the best too. Regardless, I still have a hard time shelling out $10 a quart for motorcycle branded oils. I guess in one sense if I end up using these specific oils, I would want some sort of satisfaction knowing that these oils are indeed better then the diesel oils on the market. I'm not much of an engine builder but during my teardown of my current top-end, all the "wearable" parts really seemed to be pretty good? Then again, it would be hard to tell if the oil itself is working but being that I will be using an iron bore with a thinner cylinder wall using a 2 ring piston, I think the biggest thing to consider will be keeping cylinder temps down? Being that I will only have 2 rings scraping the cylinder instead of 3, they will be taking on more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back