Waxing technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should one apply wax and remove it in the same fashion? Also, more importantly, do tou use a back-and-forth motion OR a swirling technique. I have come to find a back and forth procedure to be superior to a circular motion that may induce swirl marks.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I use the karate kid technique. wax on wax off. ha ha just kidding.
Exactly !!!

The only time removing wax included swirl marks was when I either didn't let the wax dry enough or I used too much. In both cases I applied way too much pressure to wipe it off. It doesn't matter the direction. Waxing is not rocket science. Far too many people with a camera want it to be.

Last edited:
The key is to apply a thin even coat. It really does not matter how you apply although some will have some theoretical reasons for specific patterns. With a thin even coat, then it will buff off with less effort. Some waxes should be buffed off immediately and others should be allow to haze more. Follow the instructions on the product.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Thank you MKZman, should I use a clay bar prior to waxing even if the surface feels fine? I've never clay barred before.
Clay barring is super easy and you'd be surprised what comes out with a clay bar. Just use some spray wax or spray detailer with the clay bar. I only use Meguiars products since I've had good luck with them. I hate paste waxes, so I use Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. It's about $20 at the auto parts store but comes with a microfiber towel and applicator. The bottle lasts for lots of applications and applies super easy and wipes off real nice.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Thank you MKZman, should I use a clay bar prior to waxing even if the surface feels fine? I've never clay barred before.

If you do the baggy test (google clay bar baggie test) and it feels ok, you can skip it.

If you have never used clay and consider yourself unlucky, I would practice on some other surface to be sure you know what to expect. You can mar the paint if not done properly (working it too hard with insufficient lube) or on soft paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back