"Snake Oil" that actually worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that a few of you might find this story interesting...

In October of last year I had my dealer R&R the radiator, water pump, thermostat, and the upper/lower radiator hoses on my 2004 X3 2.5. At the time it had 156,500 miles on the clock and the only cooling system failure had been the expansion tank(at 148,800 miles). While it was apart the tech noticed that a couple of the vapor separator hose were beginning to collapse so I had the entire VS system replaced with the upgraded parts. The intake had some sludge in it so the tech performed BMW's proprietary intake system cleaner process.

Fast forward to late December where at around 158,500 miles the truck started throwing an intermittent SES light. I ran it over to the dealer and my Service Advisor(a great guy- CCA member, E36 M3, Z4, and Triumph Bonneville owner) told me that the fault is for the dreaded “catalyst efficiency.” I had resigned myself to spending a few hours under the truck trying to install spark plug anti-foulers(and cursing the stuck O2 sensors) when I ran across an ad for Cataclean: http://www.cataclean.com/ It was apparently developed in England and is now sold over here by Mr. Gasket and Prestolite. Pep Boys had it for $18/bottle so I figured that I’d give it a try. You add it to the tank when it is almost empty(below 1/4 tank), drive for 10-15 miles then fill up with a quality fuel). I added it when the OBC showed a range of 30 miles and then I drove it for 20 miles before filling up with Shell 93.

I’ve since driven the truck for over 1,100 miles and the SES light has not returned. I’m thinking that the catalysts may have been fouled with oil from the failing vapor separator and the Cataclean removed the contaminants, but who knows?

Glad it worked for you!

FYI - CataClean is mostly Acetone, Isopropanol, Xylene and Petroleum distillates; all hardware store items.

My guess is most any fuel cleaner used at a significantly concentrated level would have turned off the light.... Techron regane chemtool etc

Last edited:
There are penty of threads of pea based cleaners getting rid of similar o2/catalyst issues, so it might not be a snake oil it actually may have cleaned things out enough to make a difference.

Still good to hear.

Out of curiosity when you say "the only cooling system failure had been" is that to mean there had been other repairs you needed to make, other than the cooling system (a well known issue with this vintage BMW) and the the O2 sensors (which can and do happen on any car).

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Out of curiosity when you say "the only cooling system failure had been" is that to mean there had been other repairs you needed to make, other than the cooling system (a well known issue with this vintage BMW) and the the O2 sensors (which can and do happen on any car).

I had an issue with the transfer case, but aside from that I really haven't had to do anything to it other than scheduled maintenance and a couple of pad/rotor replacements. And it is still running on the original O2 sensors.

Scotty Kilmer told me to run straight laquer thinner at a ratio of 1:10 to clean catalytic converters and remove a catalyst inefficiency code.

Worked great for me, code has been gone almost a year.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Scotty Kilmer told me to run straight laquer thinner at a ratio of 1:10 to clean catalytic converters and remove a catalyst inefficiency code.

Are you saying for example 2 gallons of thinner in a 20 gallon gas tank for a 10:1 ratio? Am I understanding that right?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Are you saying for example 2 gallons of thinner in a 20 gallon gas tank for a 10:1 ratio? Am I understanding that right?

I second that question. Seems extremely strong.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

That's right.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Glad it worked for you!

FYI - CataClean is mostly Acetone, Isopropanol, Xylene and Petroleum distillates; all hardware store items.

That's very close to laquer thinner!

i've always used ketones in my fuel, at 'lower' doses. keeping things clean is a welcome side effect, i do it to reduce surface tension of the fuel for more effective vapourisation.

between the ketone dosing and a good caning, the vehicles i operate never have EGR, injector or any carbon-related issue. these are just the kinds of problems i never have, or expect to have with this regime. the ketones have helped restore many a catalyst's efficiency to brand new factory levels- even ones with 300+k miles. emissions test results are unbeatable

Just to update...

Late last fall my son reported that the 2004 X3 was throwing an intermittent CEL while he was driving it in Columbia SC where he attends college. While he has been home for Christmas break the car has behaved fine, but I decided to let my dealer take a look today just to be safe. It turns out the CEL was for cylinder misfires. A couple of coils were the culprits- but with the truck having now accumulated 169,000 miles I authorized replacing all six. The ECU has not stored any further catalyst efficiency faults since the Cataclean treatment over 12 months and 10,000 miles ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back