Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Hence,..this.

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3569537

Yes, this.

The Mobil 1 TDT stopped my 2003 5.3L from "clacking". Not "slapping". Started it again outside in 15F weather & purpously left the door wide open to listen carefully. NO NOISE. GONE. The M1 TDT has been in for 2,000 miles, btw.

I previously owned a 2000 5.3L that had piston slap. I know what piston slap is, and on my current 5.3L, it was not "slapping".

OP: Put in M1 TDT, run it some and report back with your results.

Please PM me so I am sure to see it.

Might be short lived. I ran/am running a HDEO 10w30 in the 3400 powered Equinox in my sig. It pretty much made the cold "clacking" go away, until about 3700-4000 miles later on the oil it's back. I'm tired of worrying about it, lol. Seems it is a GM thing, was gonna run a 40wt, but I'm just going to stick with the normal regimen. It's got about 6500 on the oci as of now.

If you don't mind thicker I suggest a euro spec oil such as m1 0w-40 or a castrol equivalent.
They can be bought inexpensively and the quality of European certified oils is very high.
You can use a 0w-40 all year long. They qualify for 10000 mile drains. Great for turbo engines so you know they can handle the heat and the equinox had some issues in the past so Chevy shortened the interval and adjusted the oil life monitors,which becomes moot if you use a euro spec oil,in my opinion.
So if you don't mind going a grade thicker I feel a euro spec oil satisfies
Jmo

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If you don't mind thicker I suggest a euro spec oil such as m1 0w-40 or a castrol equivalent.
They can be bought inexpensively and the quality of European certified oils is very high.
You can use a 0w-40 all year long. They qualify for 10000 mile drains. Great for turbo engines so you know they can handle the heat and the equinox had some issues in the past so Chevy shortened the interval and adjusted the oil life monitors,which becomes moot if you use a euro spec oil,in my opinion.
Jmo

Might be worth a try. I have a stash of Castrol 0w40 that I have for the Jetta. Engine runs strong, just nice and clacky in the morning. It's mothers daily driver and when she notices (not vehicularly inclined) it, it's bad, lol. Also less oils to stock in my stash, hmmm.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Jmo

Might be worth a try. I have a stash of Castrol 0w40 that I have for the Jetta. Engine runs strong, just nice and clacky in the morning. It's mothers daily driver and when she notices (not vehicularly inclined) it, it's bad, lol. Also less oils to stock in my stash, hmmm.

It's a great product however be advised that some members here have seen castrol contribute to varnish.
Not that varnish will cause any harm. But we've not seen any varnished M1 engines. Well none that I can recall offhand.
They both meet the same specs,so both are quality products. I just wanted to inform you of my observations.
It is certainly convenient only needing to stock a single product. No potential errors.
And both these oils can be had inexpensively which for me is the deciding factor.
If switching brands you may notice more consumption for an interval or two. It's normal so pay close attention to oil level for a while if changing brands.
You may also notice that a new brand gets darker faster than the previous.
Again this is normal. When switching brands the new oil will clean up deposits kept by the old oil. So don't panic if either of these issues present themselves. Just monitor closely,keep the dump topped up and don't shorten the interval.
I've used both M1 0w-40 and castrol 0w-40 in my charger. There are slight differences in operation that I noticed.
Castrol was less noisy,however the engine felt less rev happy than with M1.
Mileage was consistent with both though.
Both oils meet the same specs and carry real certs,so slight differences in engine operation are meaningless as far as wear is concerned.
My concern between them is deposits and what I've seen in relation to varnish. Varnish is a pre-cursor to sludge. So if the varnish level increases it could indicate an underlying issue that may or may not be addressed.
Usually shortening the interval does the trick,unless the deposits are due to coolant intrusion.

Oci's rarely go over 6k, so varnish hopefully won't be an issue. The extended oci run this time stems from a 2k road trip in the mix. Thank you for the information/insight. Peering into the fill hole in the 3400 shows the engine spotless (at ironically 82k...) This may or may not been the short runs of M1 or Edge 5w30 over the past 3 years. Ok, now that I've hijacked this thread enough! Sorry OP.

I need to start the Tahoe again later this week, but the can of MOS2 I just added may have just eliminated my piston slap. Didn't notice it this morning, and I always do notice!

I have the 'quiet Duramax' for about 30 seconds each morning..

Might be short lived. I ran/am running a HDEO 10w30 in the 3400 powered Equinox in my sig. It pretty much made the cold "clacking" go away, until about 3700-4000 miles later on the oil it's back. I'm tired of worrying about it, lol.

You may be right, we'll see.

If it comes back, I'll change it and see if it goes away.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
then it was carbon... carbon buildup sounds almost the same and only a very trained ear can tell them apart.

Worth noting. I can't tell you how many GM 5.3's and 6.0's I've seen where folks had never even heard of carbon knock in these engines.

Easily fixed and very common...

Here in South Florida, many vehicles end up with piston slap noise on 0W and 5W oils. Some local dealers routinely use significantly more viscous oils for troublesome, noisy engines. And, they do so with great success. It seems that some engines that exhibit excess noise also start showing obvious signs of wear, creating warranty claims.

The oil of choice was Mobil 1, 10W-40 High Mileage. The bottom line is that both the local Ford Dealer and the local Chevy dealer were using this in newer, noisy engines. The Ford dealer was "ordered" not to use it. The result was a dramatic increase in warranty claims. Including early cam phaser replacements.

Now, those posters above can claim that a more viscous oil won't help. I'm here to claim otherwise. Not only does it help, it has also been proven to reduce the accelerated wear and piston/cylinder scoring that occurs in certain engines with excess clearances.

My suggestion: Try Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Try Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck.

I'm guessing this has a fairly high starting TBN, and a substantial add pack (at least equal to their 0W-40), since it is NOT a low SAPS formula?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: mjk
I need to start the Tahoe again later this week, but the can of MOS2 I just added may have just eliminated my piston slap. Didn't notice it this morning, and I always do notice!

I have the 'quiet Duramax' for about 30 seconds each morning..

Now that is interesting. And could be why I've neverheard my 6.0 slap and after the cam swap in my 99 with a 5.3 is when I started using on sale oil instead of Amsoil,and mos2.
Interesting indeed.

Yep, those terrible slapping GM engines.

Just sold one with half a million hard miles on it. Ran perfectly. Slapped terribly since new.

Rode around all day today in another with 180k miles on it. Slaps when cold, and does it warm as well if you slightly rev it in neutral.

Runs perfectly.

We have had dozens of them, not any more, but older vans around 02-07 or 08, and not one has had any indication of any loss of life at all...

To be honest I have never heard piston slap in person and I come in contact with lots of GM motors. Most of the guys that work for me have 5.3's and 6L's in their trucks/vans. Most are abused, and most run up spaceship mileage while they are at it.

My framers have a 6L van with about 325k on the original motor that has not had an air filter on it in about 100k and is started with starting fluid. Still runs fine.

Than you have guys on here that freak if 10w30 is used instead of 5w30...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
My framers have a 6L van with about 325k on the original motor that has not had an air filter on it in about 100k and is started with starting fluid.
Still runs fine.
Wow. Another benefit of ambient jobsite sawdust?

UPDATE: so the tick got even louder and I got annoyed, under the hood I went and although it wasn't loose as of my last post I rechecked all the plug wires again.. YEP, I had one finger loose ! I retightened and the truck is silent again.. Im very glad the ticking is now gone but im annoyed that ive now had two plugs come loose. No I didn't torque them with a torque wrench however ive never, ever needed to in the past.

Thanks for all the replies. Im tickled my pampered truck is back to is quiet nature again.

im aggravated, the 3rd spark plug now has come finger loose (this time on the drivers side) I pulled all the wires and re-snugged every plug last night. some were solid, some were a bit loose.. I have never had this happen before, not one single loose plug ever ! now ive experienced 3 on just this one truck.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
To be honest I have never heard piston slap in person and I come in contact with lots of GM motors. Most of the guys that work for me have 5.3's and 6L's in their trucks/vans. Most are abused, and most run up spaceship mileage while they are at it.

My framers have a 6L van with about 325k on the original motor that has not had an air filter on it in about 100k and is started with starting fluid. Still runs fine.

Than you have guys on here that freak if 10w30 is used instead of 5w30...

Just goes to show the robustness of a motor....

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
how about a torque wrench this time instead of "winging" it?

now your asking me to get fancy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back