Oil Change at below freezing temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had family visit from the states and of course we have driven all over England. I have some time today to do an oil change. The issue is its 30 degrees out and I'll have to do it in the coldish weather. The oil currently in the engine is 5W30. Should I warm it up a bit to get it up to temp, or just open the oil plug and let it drain cold? Thinking it would be more on the 5 weight side if cold, and better flow. I'm also thinking of doing a transmission fluid change as well. Ideas?

Always get the oil up to operating temp mate, you'll get mote oil out

also if you have a paper element type oil filter you need to undo the oil filter housing cap first to release the oil held in there

If you want an oil recommendation you will need to supply vehicle details

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toyoguy
We had family visit from the states and of course we have driven all over England. I have some time today to do an oil change. The issue is its 30 degrees out and I'll have to do it in the coldish weather. The oil currently in the engine is 5W30. Should I warm it up a bit to get it up to temp, or just open the oil plug and let it drain cold? Thinking it would be more on the 5 weight side if cold, and better flow. I'm also thinking of doing a transmission fluid change as well. Ideas?

K.
What?
On what planet does cold oil flow better than hot.
Apparently you aren't aware of what those numbers mean. I suggest using the search function and educate yourself before the wolves in here rip you to shreds.

For cold weather maintenance suggest sliding a large piece of cardboard under the engine where you're going to be lying. It's much more comfortable than lying on cold tarmak or concrete.

I keep several pieces in stock. The very thick cardboard you sometimes find is especially good for this purpose. It's even a bit soft.

Other than that, warm up the engine and then do as little as is required - until the temperature improves.

I think it's great. I like it to be 20'F or lower, actually, as it keeps moisture at bay. EG if I lay on concrete for a couple minutes my clothes don't get wet from the humidity.

Just do it on a nice day after your car's been run for whatever reason. Even half hour later is fine. Don't just idle it ten minutes to get the oil warm.

I have changed oil now for over 40 years. Man I must be getting oiled. Get that one?
Anyway I thought the guys on the forum might like the oiled word.

Back to your question. I have changed oil when it is hot and when it is cold. And in between. I tend to get just about the same amount of oil out either way. It just takes a little longer to drip out the last bit. I also pull the oil filter off early in my procedure. However, I am in no hurry when I do an oil change and usually have other checks and maintenance to do so the dripping for 30 min or an hour is ok for me.

I was stationed at SHAPE in Belgium not far from England for several years. I am familiar with the season you are in. Take it to your auto craft shop if your post has one. Or pull her into the garage if you have one. If not just wait for a sunny day. Yea you will get one sometime. May take a week or two. But do the maint when you are ready to enjoy it and not be in a hurry. Remenber to check other fluids as well. Give her a few minutes to drip completely.

Can you buy the oil from your AAFES facility? If you can you will likely save some pounds. We got lucky and had a small auto parts area/store at SHAPE when I was there. Could get many items and they could order others we needed. And we had an auto facility and bays to work on vehicles. Made it nice.

Anyways Thank You for your service. We enjoyed our years. They went by too fast.

To me its not only easy drain effect, but getting all the debri in the oil suspended. Best time is right after a long drive.

However, your case, waiting to avoid the agony is a usable idea also, unless the oil was really really bad.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

K.
What?
On what planet does cold oil flow better than hot.
Apparently you aren't aware of what those numbers mean. I suggest using the search function and educate yourself before the wolves in here rip you to shreds.

I was going to type a snappy comeback...but its not worth the trouble. We join these sites hopefully to educate ourselves. I was simply asking would you change your oil cold or hot if you have a multi grade oil during the winter. Or is all the advertising, ever... for multi grade oil wrong when they say a 5W30 will reach critical engine components faster at start up, when the engine (And oil) is cold? Blasphemy!!! Enjoy ripping me and others to shreds.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

have a look here mate

an SAE 5W when it is cold is much thicker than an SAE 30 when it is hot, the two numbers are not from the same scale

if you just look at the numbers you would think that the oil starts off thin and then thickens up when it gets hot but the reverse is true

Last edited:
Hello, It's never been the temperature which bothers me because an oil change simply doesn't take that much time.

The real bother is wind. Wind always seems to kick up when the thin strand of oil is draining.

Be "at the ready" and always use a drop cloth or cardboard sheet. Kira

Riggaz has it right. As do the rest of the folks. The flaw in your approach is thinking that a multigrade is thin when cold. It isn't.

Your multi weight is very thick when cold, and thin when warm. A 5W30 and a 30 are the same when warm. The multi weight 5W30 simply thickens less than a comparable 30 mono-grade when cold, but it's still very thick when cold.

So, drive the car for a good 20-30 minutes, then change your oil.

Last edited:
One would assume that the OP is using an oil catch tray/pan rather than an unsuitable vessel for the job and not performing the oil change in 30mph + winds

Hot, thin oil drains out of the engine much better than cold thick oil, it comes out faster and you leave less contaminants in the engine.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
A 5W30 and a 30 are the same when warm.

True, and a 5W and 5W30 are the same when cold. That is the purpose of a multigrade oil.
Whereas a 5W would be great when cold, but too thin at high temps, and a 30 would be fine when hot, but way too thick at cold temps, a 5W30 is good throughout the temperature range.

Supposedly contaminants in the oil settle on the bottom of the pan when it's cold and when you drain the oil they stay there. When the oil is hot those contaminants are suspended in the oil and flow right out the drain hole.

I must say I've changed oil both ways, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Changing the oil warm/hot is preferable to a cold oil change. BUT changing the oil cold is preferable to not changing it at all. I personally love the feel of real hot oil running down my arm when I'm changing oil
smirk.gif

Whimsey

I'm also thinking of doing a transmission fluid change as well. Ideas?

3 recommendations:

1. Change the engine oil hot. Keep the new oil inside until you are ready to pour.
2. Save the trans for warmer weather
3. Get a hot cup of coffee with 2 ounces of Bushmills added to keep YOUR engine warm....
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back