Suggestions for surround repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I just got the red foam replacements in for my cerwin vega.

Included was, glue and instructions. Sometimes I can be impatient, so was just wondering if there is anything to look.....or some pointers.

Take a look over at Audiokarma. Some people like Aleene's Original "Tacky" Glue.

Patience. I'm hoping the kit you have has the dust cover for the magnet center since to be able to do this, your gonna have to remove the center dust cover. Some people will swear you can get by without having to remove it and center the voice coil and magnet. To be honest, I watched a professional who took care of my dads cv woofers a few years ago. Looked tedious ,but dam, they are still working today!

If you are careful, you can get by without pulling the dust cover and using a centering tube. I redid my AT12 surrounds 2 years ago and it went without a hitch. The spider will hold everything in alignment and as long as you don't jack the cone around when attaching the foam, you should be OK. CV spec foam is somewhat more forgiving than some other surrounds.

I got spoiled when I was younger as there was a CV repair shop within a mile of my house. I blew out those AT12 woofers a couple of times and they rebuilt/reconed them gratis. Lets hear it for the old Kenwood M2 Basic, it could eat a speaker without clipping. 800 watts of happy.

I've done foam surround repairs for various of my audio customers over the years, and no, you do not need to replace dust cap for most surgeries, unless you are re-coning (which the spider has to be re-aligned as part of the process, needs paper shims).

in my case: I use an AF signal gen + one of my oldie transistor amp, set the signal gen to around 30~40Hz while connected to the speaker, adjust the volume until the woofer cone excursion about 8~10mm total (meaning 4~5mm up, 4~5mm down) while the glue is still wet.

Once the VC aligns properly (after doing the said step), turn down and then off the amplifier and let the glue dries.

That's it!

Other than some rather pesky small diameter (40mm dia woofer), so far I've done countless woofers and foam-based F/R speakers starting from around 6" dia all the way up to 15", with 8~12" being the most commonly done so far.

JBL, older Infinity, Mirage, Boxe,etc.

Q.

Finally got around to doing this repair...it is in its final curing stage now.

As a note, the surround i got from eBay seems to big for the cone, bit as i applied the glue and worked it to the cone every few minutes it seemed to have conformed. I dont have much confidence the repair will hold under 100w since it seems i couldnt get enough of the inner lip of the new surround adhered tomthe cone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back