Genuine Toyota Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
David1:

EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

How is a filter with such low efficiency going to be a better filter?

I understand that, however why are the Toyota filters so dirty when they are cut open???

I have seen other filters cut open and it seems it dont trap the dirt...

Seems to me the Toyota filter trapped the dirt and sludge and kept it in the filter.

Think about it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
And it's not just Toyota, it is Honda as well.

One gets the impression that despite numerous, lengthy and vigorous protests to the contrary, the OEM Toyota (and Honda) filters are just fine.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I have a Camry with over 300K and another one with 210K mostly on Pure One's and with no engine or transmission work other than normal maintenance. Why would Toyota build that kind of durability into a product and then sell a poor quality oil filter for it?

Wait a second I have cut open Honda A02s and Honda A01s and they had well over 3000 miles on them and they looked dirty but not all clogged up.... Look at my A01 cut open with pics that I posted

heck I have posted many oil filters that were cut open.

Tough Gaurd
Fram Ultra
Fram High Milage
MANN
Honda A01
Honda A02
Boesh Premium Filter made by Filtech
A/C Delco
Purolator
VIPER / NIPPON / Ultra8
NAPA SILVER
FRAM EXTRA GAURD

So I have seen many filters and how they hold the dirt....

I wonder if Toyota makes a filter for my Honda.. I would like to try it.. Run it for 4000 miles and cut it open.

Does anyone know the Toyota filter for 2002 Honda Accord V6 3.0 ??? What model number?

If one observes the entire Amsoil graph the oem filters are listed by what would be the most common make in which they would be used. Obviously it's not a Chevy, Ford or Chrysler manufactured filter, it's ACDelco, Motorcraft and Mopar. So nothing deceptive, just making it obvious imo where these applications would be found. The application number would would be the identifier. Nothing to get in a twist about.

Denso, the maker of Toyota oil filters, also makes their own line which are somewhat better than the filter they make for Toyota. They use end caps on their own filter along with silicone ADBV and a feature that prevents overtightening. I order them off the internet for less than $5.00. Very nice filters.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
A filter with low efficiency gives the best oil flow i dont see toyota and honda engines blowing up so fast due to the low efficiency in their oil filters. As a certified engine builder i truly believe oil flow is the most important thing when it comes to filters because dirty oil lubes better than no oil.

If a filter filters really really well it has to have more restriction no matter what they say its sort of a no brainer

But more media flows better too. And thick synthetic glass media flows better even with higher efficiency.

Also, there was a flow graph posted quite some time back for the filters and a lot of the very high efficiency ones still flowed extremely well.

Originally Posted By: David1

I understand that,

I don't think you do, as it seems to contradict the rest of what you post below:

however why are the Toyota filters so dirty when they are cut open???

Because the engine was dirty obviously.

I have seen other filters cut open and it seems it dont trap the dirt...

Run on the same engine, at the same interval with the same oil?

Seems to me the Toyota filter trapped the dirt and sludge and kept it in the filter.

Think about it.

I don't need to "think about it", you apparently do however. A more efficient filter is a more efficient filter. There is nothing to debate about that, it is a fact. A filter that is 98% efficient is by definition going to catch more stuff than one that is 55% efficient. That isn't up for debate.

I'm not trying to add fuel to this inferno, but lemme ask a question:

Toyota sells vehicles all over the world, and they seem to be ubiquitous in "less-developed" countries. In every picture from every nation in Africa, you see a Hilux in the background
grin2.gif
. I would bet, from the look of them, these vehicles receive somewhat less than enthusiastic maintenance, yet they seem to soldier on.

My point is that perhaps, at least on Toyota engines, a high-efficiency filter is not needed for long life. Is it because a high-efficiency filter is simply unnecessary, or is it something to do with the way Toyota engines are designed?

Would my Fords last longer if I used AMSOIL filters or FRAM Ultras instead of the lower-efficiency Motorcraft? Methinks not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back