damaged hub cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pulling into the bank into a parking spot. Well this spot has the curb immediately to the driver side. There was a car parked one spot over to the right. As I am pulling in she decides to cut it hard left and back up. Almost hitting my car in avoided her by swerving and hit the curb. It's just a hub cap so not a huge deal. But still very upset about it. She was on a cell phone and not paying attention. And was rude when I confronted her about her stupidity. Would you bother with getting ano the matching ford hub cap? Which are very flimsy actually or a set of aftermarket ones?

359hhjs.jpg

I have refinished my saturn plastic hubcaps. but if you don't want to have to paint all of them to match , i would sand just that area smooth and find a close silver metallic paint and touch up that area. If it is close to matching and as small an area as that is, no one may notice but you. the alternative is to buy a new cap, get a junkyard cap(they are usually scratched up too.) , or sand that down well, repaint all four hubcaps so they match and clearcoat them.I would just try sanding that area down, and touching up with a brush dipped in the spray or touch up paint.

Last edited:
You should've kicked a huge dent in her pos. Don't under any circumstance get aftermarket hubcaps,that always looks GHETTO. If you replace it,go oem and oem only.

The edge of the plastic is gone it'll never be round . The picture doesn't show that to well. And I thought about just running the steel wheels but I don't know.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
And I thought about just running the steel wheels but I don't know.

DO IT!
smile.gif
Thats the first thing I would do.. I love the plain steel wheels.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have refinished my saturn plastic hubcaps. but if you don't want to have to paint all of them to match , i would sand just that area smooth and find a close silver metallic paint and touch up that area. If it is close to matching and as small an area as that is, no one may notice but you. the alternative is to buy a new cap, get a junkyard cap(they are usually scratched up too.) , or sand that down well, repaint all four hubcaps so they match and clearcoat them.I would just try sanding that area down, and touching up with a brush dipped in the spray or touch up paint.

Or you could throw them away.

If you'd already done that, you'd have saved yourself the bother of getting upset about this.

What are they for anyway? Apart from collecting brake dust and getting in the way when you want to check tyre pressures, etc, I can't think of anything.

Is this the car having the bonnet repainted due to a minor paint defect? If so, that tells me you're fairly particular with your vehicles, and I'd say replacing it with a factory hub cap is a no brainer. May as well keep a new car looking "new" for as long as possible.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Or you could throw them away.

If you'd already done that, you'd have saved yourself the bother of getting upset about this.

What are they for anyway? Apart from collecting brake dust and getting in the way when you want to check tyre pressures, etc, I can't think of anything.

If the hub cap hadn't been there it would have torn the wheel up instead....

That's such a minor issue I wouldn't worry about it. In a year you'll never notice it. It's not as though it's anything special-it's just an ordinary Ford. Unless you wrap it in bubble wrap and never drive it, small things like that will happen.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
You should've kicked a huge dent in her pos.

That is one of the most ignorant comments I've seen in a long time. Losing one's temper is never the right thing to do, and would have served nothing more than to get the original poster put in jail.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That's such a minor issue I wouldn't worry about it. In a year you'll never notice it. It's not as though it's anything special-it's just an ordinary Ford. Unless you wrap it in bubble wrap and never drive it, small things like that will happen.

That is one of the most ignorant comments I've seen in a long time. Losing one's temper is never the right thing to do, and would have served nothing more than to get the original poster put in jail.

It may be just a Ford but to be fair it's still very new. And it is my first new car I am pretty anal about my cars to. And considering I've driven beaters all my life I Want this thing to be perfect for as long as possible. I'll go find a not ghetto set of hub caps and put them on. I planned on buying wheels for it eventually anyway. And use the steel wheels in the winter.

I agree with most the comments above. With the link Critic posted I would just replace it. If you do not like the hub caps in general then the next time you buy tires I would just buy a wheel tire combo from tire rack.....I did it for a car once and they come to your house mounted and balanced so all you have to do is put them on your car. So it saves you installation fees and everything. Plus if you buy them before your tires are in bad shape you can sell your old tires. The price for me came in just about 150 over just buying the tires.

so you are going to ignore everyone's advice and go out and buy aftermarket hub caps? Seems typical.

Post up a thread then ignore what everyone said That's Ram_Mann.

IMO just go get a factory one aftermarket look cheap and fall off.

Last edited:

It may be just a Ford but to be fair it's still very new. And it is my first new car I am pretty anal about my cars to. And considering I've driven beaters all my life I Want this thing to be perfect for as long as possible. I'll go find a not ghetto set of hub caps and put them on. I planned on buying wheels for it eventually anyway. And use the steel wheels in the winter.

Why would you do this instead of what The Critic recommended? Im sure his will be cheaper too than buying 4 after market??

Originally Posted By: mcrn

Why would you do this instead of what The Critic recommended? Im sure his will be cheaper too than buying 4 after market??

Called my dealer this morning and my hub cap is 40 bucks for one!I'll just get if I can find a decent pair of hub caps and then eventually I'll buy new wheels.

It is possible to use your vehicle and not incur dents or related damage for a very long time. I've self-inflicted a few minor things, and have felt sick over it too. It stinks that this wouldn't have happened to you at all if she wasn't being an idiot.

I'd personally sleep on it a week and then either buy a new hubcap (probably actually try to buy a set of pull-offs from a forum), or live with it. I'd probably try to touch it up slightly if nothing else.

Good luck.

2hi11dg.jpg

Here is my solution. Cost 29 bucks and they don't look bad imo what do you all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back