So What Oil Filter Is Everyone Using ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few P1s for the Ram & once they are depleted -- Fram Ultra from here on out. I will use them for atleast two 5000 mile intervals before changing filter. I have no issue with the MC FL820s filters in stock & am already using a Fram Ultra on the Camry. For the price & efficiency of the Ultra -- to hard to pass up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
On my wifes Galant is P1-I dont get caught up in the drama here-I have 2 Fram Ultras,a Pur Classic,and another Pur 1 left and I will use all
On my old pickup is Fram tg-I change the oil and filter every Oct since that is about 6k and I usually get tired of looking at the same color filter after a year so I grab something else
I have a few MCs,a Baldwin,a Wix and a STP on the shelf
I cant pass up a sale even though I have a few years worth now

I use Baldwin and Motorcraft. Just recently started getting Mobil 1 filters too.

I haven't used Purolator's in about five years. About a week ago while waiting in line at McDonald's, I was talking to a guy that works at the plant in the local area. He said several vendors are [censored] at Purolator.

Censored word: You can't say "p i s s e d" ????

Last edited:
Amsoil. But I'm a first timer there; used Wix the last two years until the Purolator problems.... Purolator prior to that.

I currently have a Motorcraft on my F-150 and Focus as well as my kids Focus. Since I found a big hole on the last Motorcraft on my truck, For my next oil changes I will be using a Napa Gold on the truck, a Fram ultra on my car, and maybe a Mobil one on the other focus. I am not sure on that one yet, but I will likely try something new on that one.

My other kids Cavalier has a Napa Silver currently, It is getting a Tough Guard next time since I got it on sale.

Mazda Genuine. Don't know who makes them, and until my warranty runs out, I don't care.

I'm in a bit of a unique position in that '09+ RX-8s have slightly different oil filter specs from the previous generation, and apparently not all aftermarket filters have that in mind. Sticking with OE is my way to preserve peace of mind on that point.

On subarus, I like to stick with oem roki filters. Have a stash of them.

Also use mahle, and fram. Usually ultra in the fram, but for a known short run, I'll use an extra guard to save a few bucks. Used to use k&n every now and then, but haven't in a while, think the older ones were a better product. The end nut was a nice touch if the filter is a bit difficult to get to. Only bought those when it was a decent sale price.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What oil filters are everyone using since Purolater got so bad?

Wire-backed synthetic filters. I currently have installed:

3x Royal Purple
2X Purolator Synthetic

I've also used Fram Ultras and like them, just don't have one on a vehicle at the moment.

The JGC uses a cartridge filter and (as detailed in several threads) there are currently no synthetic filters for it. I use a P1 on it- no worries at all since you can inspect it top to bottom before installation.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I have Purolator PL14610s in stock and OEM Honda A02s in stock, and I'll use them all.

Since I prefer using filters that tear open and/or don't catch dirt smaller than the size of a large grain of sand, I'm thinking of skipping the oil filter altogether when I run out of these, and just install a recirculation loop...

I'm not sure whether to LOL or cringe!
smirk.gif

R-U-JK?
laugh.gif

LOL, please.

Currently have about 5 or 6 PureOnes in the stash (combined total for 3 vehicles - 2 of 3 models are tear prone). Not sure if I will run the rest or not. Ultra is currently on the car, coming up on 2x 6K OCIs. Will be cuttin' & postin' that one soon.

Puro made Mopar, WIX, Ultra and M1 on all the family vehicles.

The OPE has anywhere from OEM to M1 to WIX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have Purolator PL14610s in stock and OEM Honda A02s in stock, and I'll use them all.

Since I prefer using filters that tear open and/or don't catch dirt smaller than the size of a large grain of sand, I'm thinking of skipping the oil filter altogether when I run out of these, and just install a recirculation loop...

I'm not sure whether to LOL or cringe!
smirk.gif

R-U-JK?
laugh.gif

LOL, please.

LOL, He, He! That's what I thought!
laugh.gif

I am currently using PureOnes on both my Fit and Taurus wagon.

Fit:
Currently running a 9000 mi OCI using PU (old style) with a PL14610. After this run, I will run one more OCI exactly the same. I will get UOAs on both runs to establish baseline data on this oil/filter combination.

Then I will switch out the filter only (probably Fram ToughGuard), run the same oil and mileage and get a UOA to see if anything changed.

Then and only then will I be able to see if running PureOnes has affected my car in any way. I figure changing only one variable at a time will allow me to do this.

Edit: I should add I've been running P1s on the Fit since I took over maintenance of it and since then, all UOAs have been fine.

Taurus:
Not sure what I'm going to do.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I used to use cheapest/whatever was on sale, mostly WM supertech. About the time E-cores came, I got a dozen Motorcraft on sale, liked them and have been using Motorcraft ever since. Except the 2013 GC. it is using Purolator classic cartridge filters....

Wayne

I'm so sad about the Purolator problems because I really like the P1's textured grip, but I can switch to their synthetic filter which doesn't tear.

I may start switching to Wix now that I found a site with good prices on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back