So What Oil Filter Is Everyone Using ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2003 Mercury Sable, a Motorcraft FL820s
On my 2010 Ford Fusion, a Motorcraft FL400s ( FL910s is called for, but the FL400s is a little longer for better filtration, and more readily available)

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Mazda Genuine. Don't know who makes them, and until my warranty runs out, I don't care.

I'm in a bit of a unique position in that '09+ RX-8s have slightly different oil filter specs from the previous generation, and apparently not all aftermarket filters have that in mind. Sticking with OE is my way to preserve peace of mind on that point.

The OEM Mazda filter I bought at the dealer for my son's 2004 RX8 was Champion built.

Recently, I purchased four D3300 Bosch Distance Plus filters for the '04 RX8.

I moved up to a filter with more dirt handling capability due to the filter's very small physical size.

Bosch recognizes the difference in the RX8's because the fitment for the newer car is D3323.

I believe FRAM is a 6607 for all RX8's, no matter the year produced.

The Bosch Distance Plus D3323 could be a good option for you after your warranty expires.

I'm using Purolator Synthetic, Fram, Mobil 1 and Hastings at the moment. I may also still use the Quaker State filters (made by Purolator) as they haven't shown any tears... yet.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Puro synthetic
Napa Platinum
Fram ultra

This!!!
All wire backed media for me.

A Yellow Can of Death on the Tacoma, last running 4 hours ago.

A Mahle OX36D on the BMW motorcycle

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The OEM Mazda filter I bought at the dealer for my son's 2004 RX8 was Champion built.

Recently, I purchased four D3300 Bosch Distance Plus filters for the '04 RX8.

I moved up to a filter with more dirt handling capability due to the filter's very small physical size.

Bosch recognizes the difference in the RX8's because the fitment for the newer car is D3323.

I believe FRAM is a 6607 for all RX8's, no matter the year produced.

The Bosch Distance Plus D3323 could be a good option for you after your warranty expires.

Thanks for the tip!

It'll be 2019 by the time the warranty expires, but it's good to know there's something out there besides OE that is likely trustworthy.

Lately the black can of death zero efficiency Toyota Denso Thailand filters, and the Japanese Denso can of death with the depth element that looks different so probably is no good. I am thinking about trying the TRD filters, look a lot like the royal purple. I would like to put an adapter plate where the full flow filter goes and use a bypass setup with a filter that keeps the oil cleaner, but it's hard to find a place for it.

I liked the Japanese denso depth media on my Yaris - only thing that worked well with the VVTi other than the ACDelco PF2057 non-ecore. I don't know why some small engines are super filter sensitive. The old EJ forester doesn't really seen to care except it would weep/leak if it didn't get a P- gasket on the base.

Whatever filter/oil combo is easiest to get at the time ... I've seen cars last 300k + miles on the cheapest oil and filters and pretty lacking maintenance, so I feel as long as i'm using clean new filters/oil on my own cars, i'm good to go lol

Motorcraft FL-500s on the 2014 Explorer and Fram Ultra on the 2010 F-150. Only really used Purolator on the Hyundai Elantra and the Dodge Grand Caravan; it was not a big deal to switch to a non-tearing brand.

I recently bought an FL400s
smile.gif

Its been said before, but they are an exceptional value and so easy to find. According to another recent filter thread, they are rated for 10,000 miles? Id assume the 400s fits this catagory as well? Id never run an OCI that long on my Jeep, but 10,000 is pretty good for $4.

Been happy using the Black can Bosch filters the last couple years but I will still use a Purolator classic or Mann filter every now and then.

I only drive around 3000 miles a year now and do the once a year filter and oil change. Have two MC FL820s to use the next two changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back