Rotella T6 in Rotax 4-tec Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to use Shell Rotella t6 in my 2004 RXP with the Rotax supercharged engine.

The supercharger requires an oil with wet clutch rating. Any reason not to use the T6 in this application?

API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL, SH; ACEA E9; Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins CES 20081; DDC 93K218; Ford WSS M2C171-E; JASO DH-2, MA; Mack EO-O Premium Plus; MB Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4

Here's the specs pasted from the PDS

I'm sure you can run it just fine. That being said I've owned the SC ski's for years now and always run motorcycle oil either dino or synthetic. In the PWC community most swear by motorcycle specific oils in everything from stock to highly modified ski's. Not saying there is any merit ti that but it's what I have done for years and never lost a single SC washer.....as you know a lost SC washer means motor rebuild usually.

Well, because the SC utilizes clutch washers, sea foo recommends wet clutch certified oils. I do realize that Rotella T6 is wet clutch certified, that being said the large majority of racers use motorcycle oils because they are wet clutch JASO certified for wet clutches.

I have always ran it in my ski's and changed it every 20hrs, suffered 0 SC issues. For more info on your ski visit greenhulk.net.

Yes, Greenhulk is a great source of info, unfortunately they don't really know much about motor oil. Still telling people they need mineral oil for break in before they can use synthetic...
crazy2.gif

I used T6 in my SC 2004 sea doo for the 5 years I owned it. Good oil for that application and one of the most recommended oils by sea doo owners.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Yes, Greenhulk is a great source of info, unfortunately they don't really know much about motor oil. Still telling people they need mineral oil for break in before they can use synthetic...
crazy2.gif

no argument there! but the people who do KNOW oils on GH have been silent. There are a large number of members who do know a [censored] load, I can personally attest to that.
anyway, we ran Castrol 10w40 with Rotax HD SC shaft kits well before we knew learned about using a Jaso wet clutch rated oil. Then we switched over to Amsoil MC oil and have used that for years without issue. My only SC clutch failure was due to a shop cracking the washers upon installation, guess what happened on the first start up...

after that, the steel washers were born and I was also one of the first to run the GH brand steel washer way back when...

I`ll still agree with using the proper oil for break in based on cylinder finish surfaces and ring types used in any engine. So I can not rule out a mineral based oil...

use whatever oil that you feel comfortable with that meets the spec.

I've been running Amsoil Marine 10w40 for the last 20 hours in my 14 RXP-X.

Rotella should also be just fine for this application.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The T6 is in, I'm sure it will be fine. Interested to see how many hours I can get out next season...

Although very different set ups, Rotella T6 works just fine in my Honda ATV with Wet clutches. It should work just fine in the RXP as well.

Originally Posted By: Olive1465
How are you liking T6? I'm thinking of adding it to my 2005 rxp
Thanks

So far so good...but I only have 3 hours pm it...[censored] cool weather this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back