5w20 users over 150,000 miles, speak up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
208,000 miles on a 1999 Ford Taurus 3.0 ohv that was back-speced for 5w20. Been running 5w20 since about 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
208,000 miles on a 1999 Ford Taurus 3.0 ohv that was back-speced for 5w20. Been running 5w20 since about 100,000 miles.

Really? As I recall my car came with 5w-20 in the owner's manual and on the oil fill cap. I thought it interesting that it actually spec'ed a semi-syn.

I can't check any more, I got rid of my lemon 99 Taurus a couple years ago when the heads cracked at 170K miles, but not before it drained my wallet dry year after year. I'm a slow learner I guess, but I've heard other people had better luck with them than I did.

I have 230,000 miles on my 2007 Honda CRV AWD. I had one free oil change from the dealer with whatever bulk oil they used.

Since then (about 15,000 miles) I have used Mobil one 5w20 or 0w20. I use the maintenance minder to to let me know when to change the oil. I change the oil when it hits 10%.

It usually takes 11,000 to 12,000 miles for that to happen.

Now at about 230,000 I have never had to add oil between changes. It never uses any oil, always at the full mark.

Typical driving is mostly rural 2 lane highway driving. About 85 miles round trip to work. I usually use the 0w20 in winter. Last winter we had several days below -20°F.

Originally Posted By: t_simmonds
I have 230,000 miles on my 2007 Honda CRV AWD. I had one free oil change from the dealer with whatever bulk oil they used.

Since then (about 15,000 miles) I have used Mobil one 5w20 or 0w20. I use the maintenance minder to to let me know when to change the oil. I change the oil when it hits 10%.

Now at about 230,000 I have never had to add oil between changes. It never uses any oil, always at the full mark.

Typical driving is mostly rural 2 lane highway driving. About 85 miles round trip to work. I usually use the 0w20 in winter. Last winter we had several days below -20°F.

Have you had the valves adjusted yet, pretty impressive btw.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: C4Dave

Really? As I recall my car came with 5w-20 in the owner's manual and on the oil fill cap. I thought it interesting that it actually spec'ed a semi-syn.

I can't check any more, I got rid of my lemon 99 Taurus a couple years ago when the heads cracked at 170K miles, but not before it drained my wallet dry year after year. I'm a slow learner I guess, but I've heard other people had better luck with them than I did.

My Taurus was an early 99 model. It definitely specs 5w30. Maybe they changed later in the model year.

Yes, I have checked the valve clearances. First time at 110,000 miles and again just recently. They were in spec.

I checked the valve clearance at the same time I replaced the spark plugs.

Other than Tires and brakes, I really haven't had to do any repairs on the vehicle. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: t_simmonds

Have you had the valves adjusted yet, pretty impressive btw.

I had a 2000 Taurus that had 275K on it when I sold it.

When I went in for an OC, I always got the speech that Ford back specked it for 5w20 and that is what I should use, regardless that it went over 200K on 5w30 just fine.

One time, I gave in for excrement and laughter and allowed them to put 5w20 in it.

It was the last time as the car (that never used more than 1/2 qt during an OC) used 2 qts. Went back to 5w30 and returned to the 1/2 quart or less.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

When I went in for an OC, I always got the speech that Ford back specked it for 5w20 and that is what I should use, regardless that it went over 200K on 5w30 just fine.

One time, I gave in for excrement and laughter and allowed them to put 5w20 in it.

It was the last time as the car (that never used more than 1/2 qt during an OC) used 2 qts. Went back to 5w30 and returned to the 1/2 quart or less.

So after 200k on 5w30, there was enough wear that the specified 5w20 had a high rate of consumption. And you conclude this is the fault of the 5w20? On the contrary, the consumption rate you are seeing is all to do with 200k on 5w30.

Please note that I am not making a value judgement here that one oil is better than the other. Indeed, your engine may have worn even more if you had run 5w20 for 200k. Equally it may have worn the same or it may have worn even less (there are people here reporting zero consumption after using xw20 for similar miles).

We can't say anything definitively. But we certainly can't prove the cause and effect that you did from the information you presented.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

So after 200k on 5w30, there was enough wear that the specified 5w20 had a high rate of consumption. And you conclude this is the fault of the 5w20? On the contrary, the consumption rate you are seeing is all to do with 200k on 5w30.

Please note that I am not making a value judgement here that one oil is better than the other. Indeed, your engine may have worn even more if you had run 5w20 for 200k. Equally it may have worn the same or it may have worn even less (there are people here reporting zero consumption after using xw20 for similar miles).

We can't say anything definitively. But we certainly can't prove the cause and effect that you did from the information you presented.

No, I said that after putting in 5w20 in my car, I experienced increased oil consumption. After returning to the 5w30 that was the spec when the car was designed and built, oil consumption returned back to normal levels, prior to the introduction of the 5w20.

Without a doubt, on an engine with 200+K, there is going to be wear. My theory is that the 200K miles put on the car had something to do with the consumption rate, regardless of whether not it was run the 30 wt or the 20. I at no time assessed blame on the 5w20. I merely relayed my experience, per the title of the thread " 5w20 users over 150,000 miles, speak up!"

However, if I still owned the car, I would run 5w30 in it.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

No, I said that after putting in 5w20 in my car, I experienced increased oil consumption. After returning to the 5w30 that was the spec when the car was designed and built, oil consumption returned back to normal levels, prior to the introduction of the 5w20.

Without a doubt, on an engine with 200+K, there is going to be wear. My theory is that the 200K miles put on the car had something to do with the consumption rate, regardless of whether not it was run the 30 wt or the 20. I at no time assessed blame on the 5w20. I merely relayed my experience, per the title of the thread " 5w20 users over 150,000 miles, speak up!"

I am a fan of thin oils in engines designed for thin oils.

My 2001 Vulcan would have a flickering oil light at hot idle. Used 5w-20 oil it's entire life.

I don't think the Vulcan is a thin oil engine.

No qualms running 0w-20 in my '11 focus!

When i had an 86 olds ciera 2.8. I routinely used a pint of mmo in with the 10w30. I got rid of the car with about 180k in 1994. using widmans viscosity calculator with a 30 viscosity of 11.5 and the mmo viscosty of 2.64 at a 10% mix at 100c. The result is 9.78. I just realized that that engine basically ran on a 20wt oil( not even figuring in shearing down of 80's oils.) for most of its life.

My apologies for presuming you meant something else.

I had 300,000 km on my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid when I sold it. I started using 0W20 but it was too expensive so I went to 5W20 until I sold it. It did not use a drop of oil from one oil change to the next.

I didn't hit 150 k mikes but sold my 2003 Accord with 143 k miles after 10 years using only 5w20 or 0w20 oil. It was running great but getting dated and time to buy a new one.

Back then I was putting over 2140 mostly highway miles a month for the first 2 years, it then went down to about 820 miles a month with a lot less highway.

Several UAOs using only 5w20 or 0w20 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back