Traction Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traction control is basically the reverse of ABS, if it senses a wheel spinning, it applies the brake instead of releasing the brakes when a stopped wheel occurs. So with that, it makes absolutely no sense that traction control turned off would really affect gas mileage unless it's kicking on all the time. Only way would be if you didn't have ABS/Traction control and the missing modules would make the car weigh less giving you better gas mileage. I'd rather have ABS and traction control though.

The only way I could see it working would be in a racing situation where you could go to the throttle sooner and let off later with traction control instead of actually having to treat the throttle like there is an egg under it and a stick connected to the bottom of the steering wheel.

At least with Subaru, traction control simply cuts fuel, so inexperienced drivers can regain traction after they lose it by applying too much throttle. For an experienced driver traction control can be a nuisance, especially in instances where the tire needs to "shovel" through deeper snow.

Subaru's Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) system is what tries to maintain the car on a proper course, which it does by strategic brake application.

In my very limited auto-cross experience (only a half dozen runs in my previous car, '08 STI) I was able to get my best time with traction control turned off (this should be obvious) and VDC left on. It was most likely due to my inexperience that allowing the STI's VDC algorithms to input braking helped my time, but who knows. With the VDC off the car seemed to have wonkier handling at the limit of traction, which was very hard to do. For normal driving, even when having fun on a back road, I'd imagine the VDC kicked in almost never, except on loose gravel roads.

So, if you drive on the highway or in instances where traction is never lost then neither system should affect mileage. In instances where traction is or could be lost, having those systems enabled is probably the smartest choice, since safety should be your priority over the miniscule, if any MPG gain you might experience by turning the systems off.

Last edited:
No. No truth to that. If anything, traction control helps get better MPG by stopping wheelspin when cornering hard. Less wasted power means more power going to the outside wheel to help fling the car around the corner.

For some very specific situations, it's good to turn traction control off. Like autocross on a tight course or when stuck in a snowdrift. Elsewhere, leave them on. TC and stability control have helped me a few times in emergency situations.

I turn it off if I need to spin or.something. Trying to get out of bad parking spots with my focus with traction control enabled results in it stalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back