Lower Priced Indian Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ken2

A fellow in my group was given a new speedometer by Suzuki for his V-Strom--the odometer stops reading at 199,999 miles. He's over 270,000 miles now, never inside the engine below the valve adjusters, just ordinary maintenance.

Those things are ugly enough to scare the wear away.
wink.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Wow!!! I just started reading this thread and here is grampi bashing Harleys. The man has more knowledge about bikes he doesn't like than the one he does. The Indian Scout does look like a M109.

You're just mad because I take an interest in all bikes...unlike most Harley guys who know nothing about anything that doesn't say Harley Davidson on it...

Harley value is high because Harley buyers like them above all others, and they'll pay the price. It does not represent quality. Modern Harley's are very good quality, but are they worth the price?...not for me. And, while Harley's often last a long time, many Harley riders parade their bikes more than they ride them. Slow group rides only on sunny days, lots of time spent in tavern parking lots, etc. A few Harley riders do really ride their bikes.

A fellow in my group was given a new speedometer by Suzuki for his V-Strom--the odometer stops reading at 199,999 miles. He's over 270,000 miles now, never inside the engine below the valve adjusters, just ordinary maintenance. There are very good bikes in many places, Harleys and metrics both.

Harley guys spend most of their time putting around because that's all their good for...have you ever tried taking a Harley bagger through the twisties? I have, and it ain't much fun...

I don't normally comment on these peeing contests, but I have to say that a bagger isn't made for road racing. If you're driving reasonable speeds, it's no problem whatsoever riding any kind of H-D on the back roads. It's irritating to me to see the rice boys riding on public roads like it's a race track. Again, a Harley does just fine.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Wow!!! I just started reading this thread and here is grampi bashing Harleys. The man has more knowledge about bikes he doesn't like than the one he does. The Indian Scout does look like a M109.

You're just mad because I take an interest in all bikes...unlike most Harley guys who know nothing about anything that doesn't say Harley Davidson on it...

Nobody is mad other than you. You bad mouth bikes you don't own or ride. I've been lucky to own
BSA, Triumphs, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Jawa, Bridestone, Kawasaki, Harley, Husqvarna and others. I've never do what you do which is bad mouth someones ride. Your total input is negative. Ride more and type less. Maybe talk to someone to help you be more positive.

Harley value is high because Harley buyers like them above all others, and they'll pay the price. It does not represent quality. Modern Harley's are very good quality, but are they worth the price?...not for me. And, while Harley's often last a long time, many Harley riders parade their bikes more than they ride them. Slow group rides only on sunny days, lots of time spent in tavern parking lots, etc. A few Harley riders do really ride their bikes.

A fellow in my group was given a new speedometer by Suzuki for his V-Strom--the odometer stops reading at 199,999 miles. He's over 270,000 miles now, never inside the engine below the valve adjusters, just ordinary maintenance. There are very good bikes in many places, Harleys and metrics both.

Harley guys spend most of their time putting around because that's all their good for...have you ever tried taking a Harley bagger through the twisties? I have, and it ain't much fun...

Where and when did you do this ride? I just rode two up for over 4,800 miles in the "twisties" on a Harley Limited. There were a lot of Harleys riding in the rocky mountains. Headed back to the mountains next month. There will be 6 Harleys, 2 Goldwings and 2 BMWs. Most of us will ride 800 miles the first day to get there. Want to join us?

The old Harley FXR was a cruiser that handled like a dream in my opinion. Easily one of the best cruisers I have ever ridden. So a Harley can indeed handle well. I once did a 1,600 mile two day trip on a circa 1995 FXDL so you can ride them far. While the ergo's were comfortable the lack of a windshield and the vibes were an issue on that old Evo.

The only reason I don't own a Harley is simply price. When I was looking at getting a replacement for my Yamaha a few years ago I could get a brand spanking new Triumph for 2k less than the 7 year old Harley I also liked. The Harley had a bigger engine, but the bikes were similar sized, and in my riding experience since my smaller engine easily keeps up with the larger Harley mills in my friend's bike.

So for me it is value. Harley riders pay a premium, but it is more for the name, not the engineering.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The old Harley FXR was a cruiser that handled like a dream in my opinion. Easily one of the best cruisers I have ever ridden. So a Harley can indeed handle well. I once did a 1,600 mile two day trip on a circa 1995 FXDL so you can ride them far. While the ergo's were comfortable the lack of a windshield and the vibes were an issue on that old Evo.

The only reason I don't own a Harley is simply price. When I was looking at getting a replacement for my Yamaha a few years ago I could get a brand spanking new Triumph for 2k less than the 7 year old Harley I also liked. The Harley had a bigger engine, but the bikes were similar sized, and in my riding experience since my smaller engine easily keeps up with the larger Harley mills in my friend's bike.

So for me it is value. Harley riders pay a premium, but it is more for the name, not the engineering.

For the sake of conversation in thee Ole Indian thread...Have you figured the price today that the Harley is worth compared to what you would get for the Triumph if you sold it ? maybe the Harley whittled down the difference on the $2,000 you saved ?

Triumph twins tend to hold their value very well if you keep them nice. So no, the gap has not really closed between the two bikes. Plus I got a two year unlimited mileage warranty, a free service, a new helmet and riding glasses, and dinner with a cute sales girl out of the deal.

The low rider made a return in 14.5.

I sense that some in here have not looked at a Harley in quite some time. Harley's are generally very nicely finished and of very nice quality. Their paint is some of the best out there.

As for the Scout, I'm hearing that accessories are pretty pricey, that if you want windshield, bags, backrest and so forth you're easily going to add a couple grand to the bike; a quick cruise of the Indian website seems to bear this out. This is higher than the MoCo for similar accessories. The Scouts at the demo ride had no options so I can't comment on scout accessory quality but the factory stuff on the vintage was very nice. I thought the finish and controls on the Scout were not as nice as the Vintage. But it is probable that these were prototypes or otherwise preproduction bikes so that may change when the regular production bikes appear in December. One of the gentlemen at the truck said ABS would "probably" be an option.

The thread on ADV has some interesting tech information and also some test ride impressions.

Last edited:

Nobody is mad other than you. You bad mouth bikes you don't own or ride. I've been lucky to own
BSA, Triumphs, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Jawa, Bridestone, Kawasaki, Harley, Husqvarna and others. I've never do what you do which is bad mouth someones ride. Your total input is negative. Ride more and type less. Maybe talk to someone to help you be more positive.

Better read some of the thread, I've ridden several of the bikes I talk about in here...and also if you had read any of this thread, you'd see that Bigcahuna started all this mess, I didn't...

Better read some of the thread, I've ridden several of the bikes I talk about in here...and also if you had read any of this thread, you'd see that Bigcahuna started all this mess, I didn't...

No you just jump in bashing Harleys. It's what you do. Yes you talk about riding bikes but the ones of us that ride them a lot know better. Stop bashing other peoples rides.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
30's technology at 2014 prices deserves to be bashed.

You make no sense. You complain about technology, you drive old cars, and then you claim old technology on a bike is bad.

.......if you had read any of this thread, you'd see that Bigcahuna started all this mess, I didn't...

This time.......

It's funny watching you and BigCahuna argue. Your opinions are polar opposite, but your tactics are identical.

You list owning a lot of old technology so you must love old Harleys. So are you bashing yourself?

Did I miss computer controlled electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, electric start, and anti lock disk brakes in my studies of 1930's Automotive/Motorcycle history?

Only thing 1930's like on the new Harleys is the fact they are 45 degree air cooled engines using pushrod activated overhead vales and a single crank pin. I will say that performance for displacement has not much improved in the OEM engines despite the advent of better technologies. Of course emissions standards have a huge role in the timidness of air cooled engines these days.

Last edited:
Are you drunk?

No you must have been when you wrote that the new Harleys have 1930 technology. Get it now?

No you just jump in bashing Harleys. It's what you do. Yes you talk about riding bikes but the ones of us that ride them a lot know better. Stop bashing other peoples rides.

Oh I see what this is...since Bigcahuna is a Harley Kool-Aid drinker like you, it doesn't matter what he posted (because it's pro-Harley)...you're just whining because someone is telling the truth about your beloved brand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back