50% of wear at startup - synthetic vs conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: babbittd
Originally Posted By: tig1
Many believe 60-80% of engine wear is at start up. The best way to perserve your engine is don't start it.

lol, [censored].

You seriously revived this thread to call another member a derogatory name?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Many believe 60-80% of engine wear is at start up. The best way to perserve your engine is don't start it.

lol, [censored].

No, to compliment their sense of humor.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

lol, [censored].

No, to compliment their sense of humor.

OK, sorry, I took your post the wrong way. My apologies.

It is a funny comment. That's what I often tell people if they want to prevent their car from wearing out. Don't drive it.
wink.gif

No problem, I really did laugh out loud when I read that. Just to clarify, this was one of, probably 20 threads that I dug up via google in a search for threads on synthetic versus conventional oil during the winter.

With respect to that topic, I've used a lot of conventional with success in our winters. I only wish I had the weather from your state in the winter.
wink.gif
With what's normally specified in the manual of a modern vehicle will do well in winter.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Interesting video......so we have a 3rd way of spelling Mobil 1 now!

and in a religious context brother mcrn.

I know this thread is a year old, but I just wanted to toss in that if it was my vehicle and salt was the only reason for me to follow the severe service interval, and I was concerned about start up wear. I'd use a quality synthetic oil and follow the normal service interval.

The normal service interval is usually 2x as long as the severe interval, and 1 synthetic change costs less than two conventional oil changes. So it costs you less for the same mileage, you also save time doing half as many oil changes, and you get the better oil protection and properties of synthetic oil. Sounds like a win/win/win to me.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Shannow

It's not actually the start, as thick cold oil is pretty good at keeping stuff apart (except for extreme gelling temperatures etc.), the wear is in the period while the oil is thinning out, and the additives are getting working.

At cold temp's it is the start that contributes to engine wear, particularly in the valve train. Even the lightest 0W-20 oil you can buy is still way heavier than optimum; heavier grades just exacerbate the problem.

so in theory would say a vehicle that lives in Miami technically have less wear and a longer potential life then say a vehicle in my or your neck of the woods?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Interesting video......so we have a 3rd way of spelling Mobil 1 now!

and in a religious context brother mcrn.

LOL

Originally Posted By: subaroo
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

It's not actually the start, as thick cold oil is pretty good at keeping stuff apart (except for extreme gelling temperatures etc.), the wear is in the period while the oil is thinning out, and the additives are getting working.

At cold temp's it is the start that contributes to engine wear, particularly in the valve train. Even the lightest 0W-20 oil you can buy is still way heavier than optimum; heavier grades just exacerbate the problem.

so in theory would say a vehicle that lives in Miami technically have less wear and a longer potential life then say a vehicle in my or your neck of the woods?

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
There are other attributes to cold startup wear than simple oil flow. Acid buildup, condensation, etc. all contribute.

The only longer potential life in Miami will be from lack of rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back