Headlight restore job, Or are they new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures say it all. All I used is a white (soft) buffing wheel on the drill and some No.7 Rubbing compound, finnished with regular car wax. WOW! Worked great, lights look brand new. No other restore kit did any better than the one on the left for me. Im sure others have done this but it really works. Hope I could help someone.

IMG_1999_zps1dbc4c1b.jpg
IMG_1997_zps79dde6e7.jpg

IMG_1994_zps570e63f4.jpg

Big difference. Most of the time, just some rubbing compound will do wonders for a set of headlights.

And just why are they on her kitchen counter......... lol.

The real question is, how long does this renewed condition last for?

I just cleaned up the headlights on my Taurus with the 3M non-drill kit. Highly satisfactory results. But I'm wondering if they'll be yellow again by the end of next summer.

Depends if you sealed and protected them from UV.

Search, it's been discussed in depth.

If you do nothing, or just apply car wax, it will be clouded up worse then if you did nothing in 1 summer's time, as now all the UV protectant layer is gone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

If you do nothing, or just apply car wax, it will be clouded up worse then if you did nothing in 1 summer's time, as now all the UV protectant layer is gone.

Thank you, I will search for this.

Originally Posted By: babbittd
Originally Posted By: raytseng

Thank you, I will search for this.

can you provide links where to get a UV protectant layer?

also the material that op used with links if possible? I have use the turtle restore kit and it works but its never as new as the OP's headlights plus it does come back fast.

here's one:
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-lens-headlight-coating.html
and another one:
http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/blue_magic/products/238/headlight_lens_sealer/

google as I have not kept up with the latest.
A lot of other people in detail forums have talked it over and used spar varnish as a cheaper alternative; or clearcoat spray.
and i think a good number of the kits now come with a clear coat UV protectant spray liquid.

I had mine done a couple years back by a detail place that was more expensive but included UV sealant, but I went with them due to their honesty of advertising and showing their knowledge about the UV issue, so they were looking for happy customers that they never see again; versus screwing you over and get you back every year sanding away your headlights.

But, additionally if you really want to do bulletproof it, put PPF (choosing one that is intended and recommended for headlights) on top of your polished and resealed headlights; so the UV layer is now protected with a physical layer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: babbittd
The real question is, how long does this renewed condition last for?

I'm sorry, by the way, realtech, I didn't intend to hijack your thread. You cleaned those up very well.

Rubbing compound and a wheel has always worked great for me. I've had a few that benefited from some wet sanding before using the compound. Biggest issue is keeping them like that. As the other member stated, car polish/wax won't do the job of keeping them clear. I've seen some of the "headlight sealants" and most of them don't fair much better. I think a high temp clear coat would work nice if you can shoot it cleanly.

I used a clear coat spray for wheels, let's see how long this lasts. Tired of polishing them every month...

I have the 3M headlight restoration kit and I have learned through trial and error that once the lenses have been done using this kit, you can restore them every 6-12 months using just the 3000 grit wet sanding disk, then finishing with Meguiar's 105, and then the 205. They look like new every time doing it this way...

Just an FYI here. My wife used to go through an "automated wash", about 2-3 times a month. Those strong detergents will dull your headlights fast.I had to use the restore kits to make clear again & every 5-6 months. My truck about the same age as her CRV did not have this hase. I washed my truck with Mothers wash/carnuba wax. After her next CRV I told her no more automatic car washes. The headlights have held up fine. We both park in a carport. I am convinced the lightss will last alot longer if you don't use the harsh chemicals at the "automatic" wash. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back