why extra tire mounting fee for TPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
But you have to dismount the tire to replace or service a TPS.

Well, you have to break the bead, but you don't actually have to remove the tire. BJ's broke one of our Acura's TPMS sensors during a tire install. Their machine knicked a corner off...probably didn't realize it. They replaced the sensor and just broke the outer bead where the sensor was. You can snake your hand through the gap and replace the sensor and reset the bead without ever removing the tire. They checked balance after that, but there was naturally no change, as the tire didn't actually move in relation to the wheel.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
OEMs recommend replacing the o-ring with each tire replacement. Nissan says it right in their service manual.

As a former plant engineer who had to deal with fluid seals on a regular basis, I recommend replacing the TPMS seals with each tire replacement. Yeah, I'm asking the tire shop to take my money. I don't really care... avoiding the potential problems that can arise from seals degrading is worth the expense to me.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: The Critic

My local Toyota dealer only charges $80 to mount and balance 4 tires, which isn't bad at all.

Excellent idea. I'll ask them about pricing.

They said $70. I didn't realize they were so competitive in tires. They even said they would beat any competition offers in anything tires.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back