TPMS Sensor pricing September 2023

I just came from Mavis tire. I ordered the tires online through Amazon and they were delivered there to the store. I paid ahead of time for the tires and installation.

I have needed new TPMS Sensors for a while and I was waiting for my needing new tires before having them replaced. I knew i would pay additional for this. However, I was shocked when they charged me $89.95 each (I needed 4) for just the sensors (over $360.00). I can buy 4 of them OEM Motorcraft on amazon for $40.00 (which I did before on one occasion and paid an additional $60.00 for the removal and install on existing tires). When I stated it sounded like a dismount ,replace ,remount and balance price, he said that's what we charge for the sensors. In the end He did discount 40.00 however still was 350 and change after tax and fees. Who believes I got charged for the wrong service?

How else are they going to correctly install the TPMS sensors?

If you go to the Ford dealership and buy sensors, it's probably going to cost more than Mavis tires.

Sensor price is definitely high, but probably the going rate from a tire shop. Be very careful about OE-branded sensors (Motorcraft, Mopar, etc.) from Amazon and ebay. Four Motorcraft sensors for 40 bucks doesn't pass the smell test and reeks of counterfeit. While many folks have successfully used them, keep in mind the "real" sensors from a dealer or authorized online parts source run 40-50 bucks each. Getting the same ones for 10 bucks doesn't make much sense unless they're Chinese rip-offs.

I've replaced about a dozen sets of these on various personal and friends' cars. After learning my lesson with fake Mopar sensors from ebay (died within months), I always defer to Schrader, Siemens, or other OE suppliers and have Wal-Mart TLE handle installation (which cost me 20 bucks total last time I swapped sensors).

For future reference, carry in your own new sensors next time (sensor R&R is generally included with tire installation).

I have needed new TPMS Sensors for a while and I was waiting for my needing new tires before having them replaced. I knew i would pay additional for this. However, I was shocked when they charged me $89.95 each (I needed 4) for just the sensors (over $360.00).
If you didn't ask beforehand how much they will cost, that's on you. If you're in MA, don't they have some tough consumer protection laws? Don't they have to give you an estimate if a service will be over $50 or something?

Ouch. Peerless Tyre here charges $49.95 for the TPMS/install so only $200 for all 4 tires, installed/mounted/balanced.

Mavis likely gave you their favorite Chinese universal sensors, that work with their programming system and stock system. EG they don't want to keep a bunch of stock numbers on hand for all the different cars out there. Convenient for them, expensive for you.

I'll echo the concern about counterfeit sensors. I had bad luck with generic (not claiming to be any brand) Chevy sensors at 4 for $25 but good luck with Pacific (OE Denso) sensors at $20 each as of a couple years ago. Moore's law seems to apply to these sensors and you might get lucky. However, conversely, Amazon is rapidly descending into a 3rd world country flea market experience.

So the ones I received (from eBay actually) were guaranteed to have full batteries. I may have gotten lucky. I totally understand they have to cover there costs. Yes its on me for not asking for pricing before hand. Thank you all for your input. You all have valid points. Thanks.

Back