Ice Bucket Challenge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's for a good cause and all but it's getting old real quick. Seems like everyone and there grandma are doing it now. Stop the Madness. Rant Over!

I think it kinda hurt the money raising method. Now everyone wants to do it. The idea was to not want to do it and donate money.

At the same time tho it has raised a lot of peoples attention and has surely helped raise money but you never hear the "AlS" ice bucket challenge.

Ends don't always justify the means.

In other contexts, this same thing would be considered Peer Pressure and bullying.
But because it's for "charity" then it's OK?
Why should one be "challenged" or pressured into donating to a charity?

And why do you shoot a video? Is it really to raise "awareness" for a charity? or is it to get credits in the eyes of your peers that you are a good person, versus just being a good person without needing the proof?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence

Last edited:
Agree with the last two posts...

Charities are pushing their credibility (collectively) these days, there's a ribbon day for everything, a morning tea every second week, and this is a turn-off entirely.

I like the idea behind it, but it seems a lot of people are forgetting the meaning behind it. Dan Bilzerian's one is the best so far, but everything that dude does is awesome.

I've been doing ice baths 2-4 times a month for years.
a small bucket of ice is nothing compared to 60-80lbs of ice in a bathtub, soaking for 20-30 mins

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I like the idea behind it, but it seems a lot of people are forgetting the meaning behind it.

Kinda like Memorial Day.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
a small bucket of ice is nothing compared to 60-80lbs of ice in a bathtub, soaking for 20-30 mins

How much money does that save you in charitable donations? Enough to cover the cost of all that ice and then some, I'd imagine.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

How much money does that save you in charitable donations? Enough to cover the cost of all that ice and then some, I'd imagine.
13.gif

a lot of athletes, military, and active people do ice baths, have for years.

I am just saying, Soak in a tub of 80lbs ice with water as well. for 20+ mins. Its nothing difficult to do, I pour cold water on myself with ice during work days of 114 degree weather, no issue.

I suppose we need to create an "Oil Awareness Challenge"
You either donate money to PQIA or you pour a boiling hot pot of water on you.

I also like the idea behind it, but it seems like everyone WANTS to be nominated so they can have their moment of fame on Facebook or any other s.m. site.

Maybe some people here would feel different about this if one of their loved ones had ALS.

I thought the ice bucket challenge was a celebrity thing. It's for charity. yeah, lebron donate 10 million to ALS. You would get more press for it than an ice bucket.

I'm waiting for bill gates to do the ice bucket challenge and not donate any money to ALS.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I thought the ice bucket challenge was a celebrity thing. It's for charity. yeah, lebron donate 10 million to ALS. You would get more press for it than an ice bucket.

I'm waiting for bill gates to do the ice bucket challenge and not donate any money to ALS.
smirk.gif

GW Bush did it, I think he challenged Clinton.
Obama Denied it, and donated 100$

I just dont understand whats so "challenging" about having a bucket of water poured on you, IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER! my kids do this all the time for fun.. Want to make it a real challenge? lets do this in january!

IMO, Charlie Sheen's has been the best one yet

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Want to make it a real challenge? lets do this in january!

Here in MN we have the "Polar Bear Plunge", where they cut a hole in the ice on a frozen lake and people jump in to make money for charity.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Maybe some people here would feel different about this if one of their loved ones had ALS.

40 hour famine raises awareness by going hungry for 40 hours...has some relevence to the issue that daring someone to dump a bucket of ice water on their heads doesn't...It has no correlation.

If it was used to raise money for breast cancer, bowel cancer, esophageal cancer, lung cancer, spina bifida, anxiety, depression, suicide, or anything else, it's still a stunt, a peer pressure thing, and IMO plain stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back