High Pressure Compressor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

It's a pleasure to find this site, especially since I've been pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to determine the best oil for my Yong Heng high pressure compressor which makes 4500psi. No matter which oil I try it all gets dirty very quickly. The crank case is a splash style with the low pressure and high-pressure pistons directly above. The manufacturer suggests not running it hotter than 55 degrees Celsius (131F). These compressors get really hot really fast. They are water cooled. I use a bucket filled with ice.

While in Menards the other day I stumbled upon the Sanborn oil, but the viscosity is not labeled and nowhere to be found online. I tested the 'All Weather' and the compressor reached 121F in 6 minutes.

So - long story short. Does anyone know the weight of these two oils?

Thanks in advance - John.

Seems like you found the one.
I worked on 3,600psi slash oiled compressors for a bit, they just used standard 30wt motor oil in them.
Detergent or non-detergent? Everywhere I look, including forums for this compressor, indicate non-detergent full synthetic at 20-30 weight for reasons I cannot comprehend.

Detergent or non-detergent? Everywhere I look, including forums for this compressor, indicate non-detergent full synthetic at 20-30 weight for reasons I cannot comprehend.
What about non-detergent oil makes it incomprehensible? No combustion byproducts to hold in suspension - so, just the additives it needs, like anti-wear, anti-corrosion, and that sort of thing in the oil, right?

Hello all,

It's a pleasure to find this site, especially since I've been pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to determine the best oil for my Yong Heng high pressure compressor which makes 4500psi. No matter which oil I try it all gets dirty very quickly. The crank case is a splash style with the low pressure and high-pressure pistons directly above. The manufacturer suggests not running it hotter than 55 degrees Celsius (131F). These compressors get really hot really fast. They are water cooled. I use a bucket filled with ice.

While in Menards the other day I stumbled upon the Sanborn oil, but the viscosity is not labeled and nowhere to be found online. I tested the 'All Weather' and the compressor reached 121F in 6 minutes.

Might want to reach out to @High Performance Lubricants and see what they recommend for your compressor - they make specific compressor lubricants, it is a specialty product line for them.

What about non-detergent oil makes it incomprehensible? No combustion byproducts to hold in suspension - so, just the additives it needs, like anti-wear, anti-corrosion, and that sort of thing in the oil, right?
Why would holding particulate in suspension be more harmful than deposit build-up elsewhere, like atop the high-pressure piston?

Here's what it looks like. High pressure the skinny one on the top:

Hello @theponz and welcome to BITOG.

Here is the specs from Menards on the Sanborn oil. I assume you have seen this... https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...-0086sn/p-1473344143640-c-12917.htm?exp=false

IMO, most non detergent oils are in the 30 weight range but I can't say for sure. What does the manufacturer recommend? That would probably be a great starting point.

FWIW I have used this oil in my 2 stage garage compressor for 10+ years with no issues. I change it when I remember sort of thing as well...

Just my $0.02

Hello all,

John, unless I missed it somewhere, what does the manf recommend? I’d go with their recommendation and use a full synthetic.

Hello @theponz and welcome to BITOG.

Here is the specs from Menards on the Sanborn oil. I assume you have seen this... https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...-0086sn/p-1473344143640-c-12917.htm?exp=false

IMO, most non detergent oils are in the 30 weight range but I can't say for sure. What does the manufacturer recommend? That would probably be a great starting point.

FWIW I have used this oil in my 2 stage garage compressor for 10+ years with no issues. I change it when I remember sort of thing as well...

Just my $0.02
Yes - I've seen the specs but nowhere do they indicate the weight.

Yong Heng recommends Lubricant oil: ISO VG46 Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil, Mobil DTE25, Mobil 826or equivalent, but they all seem to get very dirty very quic
John, unless I missed it somewhere, what does the manf recommend? I’d go with their recommendation and use a full synthetic.

Yong Heng recommends Lubricant oil: ISO VG46 Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil, Mobil DTE25, Mobil 826or equivalent, but they all seem to get very dirty very quickly.

I found the manual on a different forum, it's supposed to use ISO 46 hydraulic oil. I've copied the maintenance section here:

8. Filtration and maintenance
1.The ISO VG46 hydraulic oil should be changed as soon as it changes
color, each fill of oil is about 16 ounces. Change the hydraulic oil every
50 hours filling.

2.Change the cotton filter after 30 minutes filling;
3.The decompression valves should be released after every time you
use the compressor;
4.The Yongheng compressor should not be pressurized over 300 bar/ 30
Mpa/ 4500psi;
5.Do no attempt to repair an element by yourself without manufacture
or dealers’ instruction.
6. Put the compressor in a dry and clean place, away from any oil, gas
and chemical areas

non detergent would be so the contaminants settle out of the oil(bottom of oil storage) instead of being splashed up while held in suspension.

The oil probably gets dark because it's exposed to areas of extreme heat inside the pump so it oxidizes. Getting dark quickly is probably inevitable and no high end oil is going to eliminate that. There are some boutique hydraulic oils available like from Amsoil, but I doubt it would make much difference.

Personally, I would go buy a 2 gallon jug of ISO 46 from Tractor Supply and just change it at 25 hours.

Last edited:
I found the manual on a different forum, it's supposed to use ISO 46 hydraulic oil. I've copied the maintenance section here:

8. Filtration and maintenance
1.The ISO VG46 hydraulic oil should be changed as soon as it changes
color, each fill of oil is about 16 ounces. Change the hydraulic oil every
50 hours filling.

2.Change the cotton filter after 30 minutes filling;
3.The decompression valves should be released after every time you
use the compressor;
4.The Yongheng compressor should not be pressurized over 300 bar/ 30
Mpa/ 4500psi;
5.Do no attempt to repair an element by yourself without manufacture
or dealers’ instruction.
6. Put the compressor in a dry and clean place, away from any oil, gas
and chemical areas

Here's what mu manual says: Lubricant oil: ISO VG46 Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil, Mobil DTE25, Mobil 826or equivalent

Here's what mu manual says: Lubricant oil: ISO VG46 Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil, Mobil DTE25, Mobil 826or equivalent
I see that the Mobil 826 is labeled as a compressor oil, but specs say not for breathing apparatus pumps. Just in case that's how you're using the pump.

I see that the Mobil 826 is labeled as a compressor oil, but specs say not for breathing apparatus pumps. Just in case that's how you're using the pump.
Using it to air up my pellet rifle and fill a tank - not for breathing.

John

Thought I'd mention: I haven't seen a full synthetic that is non-detergent. They all seem to have detergents.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back