Looking to buy Explorer with 3rd row, uncertain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Bough it new. Has the 3rd row seat and rear AC. I have used the 3rd row seat plenty of times.
The Eddie B edition came with the upgraded tow package. Higher class tow hitch and trans cooler.
I had the radiator replaced under warranty. Besides that I have done maintenance myself. Trans fluid change, spark plugs, oil and filters etc.
93,000 miles still running strong. 4.0 engine pulled a boat once without any trouble.
Does drink gas. Lugging around town 15 mpg. Highway can just about manage 20 mpg.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I have a 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Bough it new. Has the 3rd row seat and rear AC. I have used the 3rd row seat plenty of times.
The Eddie B edition came with the upgraded tow package. Higher class tow hitch and trans cooler.
I had the radiator replaced under warranty. Besides that I have done maintenance myself. Trans fluid change, spark plugs, oil and filters etc.
93,000 miles still running strong. 4.0 engine pulled a boat once without any trouble.
Does drink gas. Lugging around town 15 mpg. Highway can just about manage 20 mpg.

What is the deal with the "radiator issue" and why is it so hard or expensive to replace ??
When they replace it do they upgrade to prevent the same failure ??

Last edited:
Ford had a bad supply of radiators that would leak at a seam. It was replaced with a new one that was supposedly from their new supplier. The replacement has been perfect.

New one's are reasonable on ebay and it is easy to get to.

Well folks we did not make a purchase last year due to some unexpected expenses at home......

Back on the hunt, We looked at an 08 XL7 last nite and found the motor to be full of sludge....

We are going to look at 2 explorers hopefully tonight,
I'm torn between which is the better choice if we decide to go with one of these 2. What do you guys think ?

http://www.familyautollc.net/for-sale/14050000/ford/F0960/

http://www.lakeauto.com/Used-2005-Ford-Explorer-Eddie-Bauer-46L-Lewistown-PA/vd/21698698

I like the 06 especially since the 4.0 timing chain issue was worked out by 06.

I like the features of the eddie bauer not to mention I think the price is pretty cheap.....I still worry about the spark plug or head issues with the 4.6l v8 and not sure if this was better by 05....

I had a '06 V8 Eddie Bauer. Head gasket blew at 50k miles and then several things after that (which I believe were artifacts of the head gasket work).

The '06 V8 is much different than the '05 and earlier V8s. So that '05 V8 you posted only has something like 240hp compared to the 292hp of the '06+. Also the interior of the '05 is a generation behind the '06. Given that, I'd pick the '06 4.0. The main problem with the '06+ 4.0s from what I gather on the Explorer forums is they have chronic radiator problems. Something about how the supports were designed. Then again I have a buddy with one and he's had no problems at over 100k miles.

Concur - between the two I'd prefer the '06.

I presently own an '07 XLT with the 4.6. I wanted the V8 for a few reasons, and managed to hold out till I found the right one. Besides the body changes between 05 and 06, the V8 was changed substantially - it gets you the 292hp 3V and the 6R60 (and later the 6R80) transmission. Based on past experience with the 5 speed (behind the 4.0), that was the main reason I wanted the 6 speed. It is the transmission that is now in the F150.

Driving cycle dramatically affects mileage on the V8. Pure freeway cruising (70 mph) nets 21-22 mpgs consistently. Add any stop and go to it, and it kills the mileage. My wife short trips ours, and pretty consistently gets around 15 mpg in that scenario, which is no better than I got in the 4.0 V6 in previous generations in the same cycle.

'06 and '07 have the plugs that can break in the head. Same deal as the 5.4's in the trucks went through. Just do the plugs every 60,000 miles to reduce the problem a bit. '05s and older would have the old 2V 4.6.

Otherwise, check the radiator (literally just replaced mine at 7 years / 98,0000 miles), listen for wheel bearing roar, if the transmission is the 6 speed (particularly '06 and '07 models) behind the V8, look for a bump in the 2-1 downshift. Better if it doesn't have it. If the 3rd row seats are motorized, make sure they work. The motor (actually a gear in the motor) breaks, and replacement is to replace the whole motor. (That's why I like my manual seats). Check the rear wiper functions and that the rear axle seals aren't leaking.

That's all I can think of...

Love our '07 XLT 4.6 V8. Very comfortable.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Concur - between the two I'd prefer the '06.

I presently own an '07 XLT with the 4.6. I wanted the V8 for a few reasons, and managed to hold out till I found the right one. Besides the body changes between 05 and 06, the V8 was changed substantially - it gets you the 292hp 3V and the 6R60 (and later the 6R80) transmission. Based on past experience with the 5 speed (behind the 4.0), that was the main reason I wanted the 6 speed. It is the transmission that is now in the F150.

Driving cycle dramatically affects mileage on the V8. Pure freeway cruising (70 mph) nets 21-22 mpgs consistently. Add any stop and go to it, and it kills the mileage. My wife short trips ours, and pretty consistently gets around 15 mpg in that scenario, which is no better than I got in the 4.0 V6 in previous generations in the same cycle.

'06 and '07 have the plugs that can break in the head. Same deal as the 5.4's in the trucks went through. Just do the plugs every 60,000 miles to reduce the problem a bit. '05s and older would have the old 2V 4.6.

Otherwise, check the radiator (literally just replaced mine at 7 years / 98,0000 miles), listen for wheel bearing roar, if the transmission is the 6 speed (particularly '06 and '07 models) behind the V8, look for a bump in the 2-1 downshift. Better if it doesn't have it. If the 3rd row seats are motorized, make sure they work. The motor (actually a gear in the motor) breaks, and replacement is to replace the whole motor. (That's why I like my manual seats). Check the rear wiper functions and that the rear axle seals aren't leaking.

That's all I can think of...

Love our '07 XLT 4.6 V8. Very comfortable.

very informative, just the kind of info I like. I just found out the 05 does not have 3rd row so we are left with the 06 (locally) if it is not to our satisfaction then we will start looking at out of town lots.

Depends on what you want to drive. If you want something that handles and maneuvers like a full size truck, then sure the expedition is fine. The Explorer at least feels like its smaller and is easier to maneuver. In my case, the wife is the primary driver, and to her, there was no comparison. Not scientific sure, but take it for what its worth.

Oh, and if the expedition has the 5.4, forget about matching fuel mileage. I've never broke 20 mpg in any 5.4 equipped vehicle, and I've driven a lot of them. The 4.6 in the 06+ Explorers easily gets 20+ on the highway.

Not bashing the Expedition or the 5.4 - I own a 5.4 in my fleet, and drive both Expeditions and Explorers at work. They fit slightly different niches.

I would prefer the expedition over the explorer.....But "she" will be the primary driver so "size does matter" !

I would actually prefer a Tahoe.....
We had an appt to look at an 04 Escalade last Saturday but canceled, one of my coworkers who was formally a Cadillac guy told me to stay away, referring to there constant drive train sensor and module issue's involved with there AWD system.

Its [censored] that you cant go back further than a year in our search engine anymore. That was a HUGE part of making an educated decision about oils in certain engines, being able to look at UOA's over a span of years.......

I would LOVE to use T6 in this 4.0 (if we bring it home) but cant find any UOA's for ANY oil (maybe 1).

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Its [censored] that you cant go back further than a year in our search engine anymore. That was a HUGE part of making an educated decision about oils in certain engines, being able to look at UOA's over a span of years.......

I would LOVE to use T6 in this 4.0 (if we bring it home) but cant find any UOA's for ANY oil (maybe 1).

Use google. Just do site:bobistheoilguy.com and whatever the keyword you are looking for is.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
and depend on years, some year of 5.4l 3v is the WORSE ford engine design ever, next to the 6.0

Ford didn't design the 6.0L, it was designed and manufactured by International. And if you are referring to the plugs sticking and the phasers making noise, well, it could be worse. I definitely wouldn't say it was one of the worst Ford engine designs ever, that's for sure. I think the valve seats dropping out of the SPI engine is a worse condition for example.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
and depend on years, some year of 5.4l 3v is the WORSE ford engine design ever, next to the 6.0

Ford didn't design the 6.0L, it was designed and manufactured by International. And if you are referring to the plugs sticking and the phasers making noise, well, it could be worse. I definitely wouldn't say it was one of the worst Ford engine designs ever, that's for sure. I think the valve seats dropping out of the SPI engine is a worse condition for example.

It cant get a whole lot worse when you go to change plugs and end needing work done on the heads......what a [censored] poor design flaw.

Anyway we are purchasing the 06 in the below link pending a TC leak being fixed. We paid 9,900 and purchased a 3yr/38k mi warranty for an extra 1,800 bucks. It was a 2 owner and seems clean as a whistle.....NOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD OIL FOR THE MOTOR !!

http://www.familyautollc.net/vehicle.asp?d=14050000&s=F0960

It cant get a whole lot worse when you go to change plugs and end needing work done on the heads......what a [censored] poor design flaw.

True, but there are various extraction tools (like the Snap-On one) designed to get the bottom of the plug out once it breaks without you having to pull the head. Similar to when the 2V's launched plugs, originally you had to replace the head and eventually the Lock-N-Stitch kit happened which installs an fully threaded insert with nothing needing to be removed from the vehicle.

Quote:
Anyway we are purchasing the 06 in the below link pending a TC leak being fixed. We paid 9,900 and purchased a 3yr/38k mi warranty for an extra 1,800 bucks. It was a 2 owner and seems clean as a whistle.....NOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD OIL FOR THE MOTOR !!

http://www.familyautollc.net/vehicle.asp?d=14050000&s=F0960

Great choice! I'd advise M1 AFE 0w-20 if it calls for a 5w-20.

I will have to look into that tool. I know a few guys with suspect 4.6's ! 1 of which just had a $2000 "spark plug change" I also credit that to UNDER-educated mechanics at our local Ford dealer........

We always end up buying 70k mi + vehicles for the simple fact that I refuse to have a payment, and at that mileage we can usually just pay cash.....That being said in order to get the warranty we have to finance through the dealer, so we will finance for a few months and than pay it off. lol ! I figured paying interest for a few months @ 3.99% (unheard of for a 10yo truck)was worth the peace of mind of a warranty... the warranty is through a company called GWC (QWCwarranty.com) if anybody is looking for good warranty, our is 0 deductible.

I was very disappointed to find NO "transmission fluid dipstick" thats why I want them to fix the leak, if I could monitor the fluid level I could deal with a wet TC as it does not drip.

Have you looked at the Trailblazer EXT and Envoy XL? Smaller than a Tahoe, larger than a comparable year Explorer.

Enthusiasts congregate at gmtnation.com.

I was very disappointed to find NO "transmission fluid dipstick" thats why I want them to fix the leak, if I could monitor the fluid level I could deal with a wet TC as it does not drip.

Look up how to do it on the F150. There is a dipstick - it's hidden under a nut on the side of the trans. Not ideal but it can at least be checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back