Pure ONE on a Toyota 1ZZ-FE engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advanced Auto is running a $1.50 rebate this month on Pure ONE filters, so I went ahead and stocked up for next year. My Vibe (Toyota 1ZZ-FE engine) uses the PL14476 filter, but they only had two left on the shelf. However, they did have two PL14477 filters left...so I bought them also in the hope that they'll work with my Vibe. They're listed in the catalog as the oil filter for the 2ZZ-GE engine that is used in the Matrix XRS & the Vibe GT. Visually, the only difference I can discern is the larger length of the cannister; everything else (and that's not much) looks the same.

I can understand why the smaller filter (14476) wouldn't meet the specs on a XRS/GT, but if anything, the larger filter (14477) on a base Vibe/Matrix should be great (more filtration media).

Am I wrong about this?

I think you are right - it is just a longer one. According to Bill in Utah, his stealer is prescribing the longer filter for his Corolla.

Got this from a posting by Peakee on www.matrixowner.com:

P.S. I'd additionally encourage those people to use the oil filter version built for the Matrix XRS. If you've decided to use a Wix filter, this corresponds to their filter number 51396. This matches the Toyota YZZA1 filter that Toyota makes for the Matrix XRS. (Toyota freely uses the YZZA1 filter on XR or base models, should they happen to be out of stock on the YZZA2 filter.) This filter is a little longer than the YZZA2, and as such, has a greater filter area and supplies better oil flow to the engine.

Thus, the Pure One PL14476 would corrolate with the Denso YZZF2 (no more YZZA2's) and the PL14477 to the Denso YZZF1. Yay or nay?

Also, I know the volume difference is small between the two filters, but I found this opinion on another website:

The filter size as such doesn't matter, but the OEM filter was designed to work together with the oil pump to maintain the healthy oil pressure so that enough oil arrives in the head and to the overhead camshafts. A larger oil filter is almost certainly lowering your oil pressure, so beware.

I can't believe that the oil pressure is so significantly lowered as to cause a pressure issue (with regards to these two sizes of filters).

Man, try to save a few bucks and end up pissin' the day away trying to figure out if you did alright. Ugh...

[ October 20, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Crack_Tan ]

BTW: I almost got these filters for $1.50 a pop! The "new guy" at the parts counter was pretty confused about the rebate and ended up getting his manager to "override" the register price. Of course the manager straightened him out about how rebates work.

Bummer :-(

Between the oil recycling and the fact that I mess up their "multiples" by returning stuff from time to time, I think they "no me likey" too much. Oh well, it's not like I'm changing my oil in the parking lot!

quote:

Originally posted by JasonVW:
Can I get the rebate price if I buy online? I need the 14477 for my Highlander but online it says there are none to be had!

Sorry, I don't know. The Purolator website (www.pureoil.com) mentions the rebate, but it doesn't have a link to a printable rebate coupon.

I also looked on PartsAmerica, but they don't mention rebates at all.

C.T.

quote:

Originally posted by Crack_Tan:
Visually, the only difference I can discern is the larger length of the cannister;

but if anything, the larger filter (14477) on a base Vibe/Matrix should be great (more filtration media).

And another advantage of the longer filter is the oil capacity with filter can now be a nice 4 litres....or very very close to 4 litres
rolleyes.gif

I believe that PL14477 is the better choice (over PL14476). However, I would not use PL14477 on my Vibe to avoid possible warranty problems (both GM and Purolator can argue that I used the wrong filter). I used to think it would be extremely unlikely to have problems with oil filters - those days are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back