Oil Capacities for both first gen Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe? The base and high performance engines.

I just want to make sure I’m filling them to the max levels. We have three Pontiac Vibe base models and one high revving Toyota Matrix XRS. I’ve searched and keep finding mixed answers. Didn’t Toyota revise the oil capacities later on for the first generations? IIRC, with filter change, the base models take 4.4 quarts and the high performance engine 4.8 quarts. Please chime in.

The early 1zz-fe's were spec'ed for 3.9 qt, but an updated dipstick (2005/06 MY) increased the capacity to 4.4 qt. You can purchase the longer dipstick from the dealer at a very low cost.
Wouldn't a dipstick that increases the apparent capacity be shorter, not longer?

Wow this FL-400S looks way bigger than the ST4967! Even the gasket diameter. You sure this fits? :D

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3656.jpeg
    IMG_3656.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3654.jpeg
    IMG_3654.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 22
Wow this FL-400S looks way bigger than the ST4967! Even the gasket diameter. You sure this fits? :D
yep! It's currently in my Matrix! (2007 XR, 1zz).

I know some have used even bigger filters (for Toyota V8s), but I personally like the value of motorcraft, plus good size, and it has a silicone ADBV.

I've used the Fl400s/3600 sized filters on my 1.8/2.2/2.4/4.7 Toyotas for over 20 years. Toyota filter mounts have a broad area for larger/smaller filter sealing gaskets. The 4.7 also has plenty of space for the PH8a sized filters.
I also use the 3600 sized filter on the 1.4T VW that comes with a smaller 3614 sized recommendation, along with metric upgrades to the 6607/7317/9688/3593a/2849a oversized choices in Hyundai/Kia/Nissan/Honda/Mitsu/Subie/Mazda... engines.

The Fl400s and FL1a are a little shorter now than a decade+ ago. You can fit more of them in an 18wheeler to spread out the cost of shipping among more filters, more filters per given storage area,.... along with ease of assembly as larger filters might not provide wiggle room when raising a drivetrain into a vehicle.

One should never think that lesser is better and that the engineers actually picked the filter size.

I've used the Fl400s/3600 sized filters on my 1.8/2.2/2.4/4.7 Toyotas for over 20 years. Toyota filter mounts have a broad area for larger/smaller filter sealing gaskets. The 4.7 also has plenty of space for the PH8a sized filters.
I also use the 3600 sized filter on the 1.4T VW that comes with a smaller 3614 sized recommendation, along with metric upgrades to the 6607/7317/9688/3593a/2849a oversized choices in Hyundai/Kia/Nissan/Honda/Mitsu/Subie/Mazda... engines.

The Fl400s and FL1a are a little shorter now than a decade+ ago. You can fit more of them in an 18wheeler to spread out the cost of shipping among more filters, more filters per given storage area,.... along with ease of assembly as larger filters might not provide wiggle room when raising a drivetrain into a vehicle.

One should never think that lesser is better and that the engineers actually picked the filter size.
All good info thank you!

Just wanted to update some pics. I compared the oversize filter options for our Toyota Matrix’s and Pontiac Vibe’s 1.8L. Also, gonna use the same oversize filter on our 2005 Toyota Highlander with the 2.4L. The 4967 is so much smaller than the rest. The FL400, 3600, and 3614 all have the same diameter/base plates/gaskets. Now I just gotta go to Oreilly’s to cross reference the 3600 with a MicroGard Select 😁

IMG_6715.jpeg
IMG_6714.jpeg
IMG_6721.jpeg

Last edited:
I just want to make sure I’m filling them to the max levels. We have three Pontiac Vibe base models and one high revving Toyota Matrix XRS. I’ve searched and keep finding mixed answers. Didn’t Toyota revise the oil capacities later on for the first generations? IIRC, with filter change, the base models take 4.4 quarts and the high performance engine 4.8 quarts. Please chime in.
When in doubt remember these cars have a dipstick!

Back