Audi 2.0 oil usage - HDEO??

Status
Not open for further replies.
that engine known as the 2.0 slow in the VW community. a friend got an older jetta with it in to save $$$ as his surburban was a guzzler, thi 2.0 liked oil as well as he was a spirited driver. i would try the 15-40 for sure. the smaller gap in the #'s generally be a stronger petroleum oil. your cat could clog prematurely as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: emspilot
I had an issue with my '07 VW GTI (same 2.0T engine) where I got up to an astounding 1qt per 100 mile consumption rate. That's not a typo....1qt every 100 miles.

I ran the gamut looking for the cause. I replaced the turbo itself (thinking seals), replaced entire PCV, ran compression checks (all cyl w/in factory new spec), tried ring soaks to free oil rings, and tried every flavor of VAG approved oil.

Finally I was going to take it in for a ring job assuming that the oil rings were bad (or perhaps the valve seals), either way the engine was gonna get torn down.

But the real solution finally presented itself.....

It was the VALVE COVER itself. Not the gasket, but the plastic cover. Turns out that it is hollow and has chambers and passages that are part of the PCV system. Mine was all cracked and broken internally.

It was replaced and now I do not burn a single drop in the full 5000mi OCI.

More info is in my thread on the Vortex and it links an excellent article from AudiZine on the issue.
VW Vortex

Mine was replaced under warranty at 25k by the dealer...it halved the consumption, and it's been pretty consistent ever since (currently at 108k).

It's about par for the course with these engines chap, personally I like an engine that burns oil as it's constantly refreshing the additive pack meaning you can go longer OCI.

Stick with whatever 502.00 oil you can find on offer, you can get it for shirt buttons in the US!

A friend of mine had a Ford Puma that would consume 10 litres of oil between oil changes. Both him and his girlfriend were doing 1year/17000 mile OCI's (should be 10k), when it came in for a service the oil was clear on the dipstick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back