Cracked laptop case

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a pcmcia slot directly below, and I must have tried lifting the laptop just by holding it in that corner, and it shattered, as you can see. It is also the area where the palm rests while typing, so I'm worried this will get worse very soon. Any suggestions on how to fix it/patch it? I don't think I can inject any glue in there... no space.

P1010109.jpg

Not sure about your make/model but I'd try my hardest to get access to the rear of that panel. From there I'd do some plastic welding with a soldering iron to prevent further cracking. You can fold in small pieces of copper wire to strengthen it.

Lastly, JB weld or some colored epoxy to fill in the hole. Perhaps even bondo would work. Sand smooth and call it good.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Not sure about your make/model

It's a Lenovo X230. I'll have to see how easy it is to take it apart.

Buy a new housing on eBay or straight from Lenovo. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, but it's time consuming to swap the stuff over.

I have taken apart an X220. Not too difficult if you've ever opened up a laptop.

I use that two part epoxy ( the kind that is a paste, not the liquid ) to fill in holes I don't need anymore, in stuff I've built.

It dries really strong, can be sanded flush, drilled, painted, etc.

I'd just fill in that hole from the top, and sand it or emory board it flush when it's dry.

The stuff I get dries a dark grey, about the color of that busted case.

Last edited:
New cover arrived in record time from Hong Kong, and I just installed it. It wasn't too bad and the laptop looks like new.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back