Windows 11 laptop can't detect my microphone

For whatever reason, Windows isn't detecting my microphone. I have always had zoom on my laptop, and it has worked fine. Few days ago, the app video was working just fine, but the other person couldn't hear me. It is not zoom settings; I can use zoom app on my phone and everything is fine. When I go into the Device Manager inside Control Panel, the only thing listed under "Audio Inputs or Outputs" is the speaker. Under Windows Optional Updates, I ran an update check for drivers but there was nothing. I did go to the HP site (this is an HP computer) and downloaded the only audio file driver they had, but after it is unpacked, nothing happens (perhaps it is not detecting a driver or device installed?). There is a Windows audio troubleshooter, but it wasn't able to resolve the issue either.

Any suggestions? I like being able to use zoom from my laptop instead of my phone, so I'd like to troubleshoot this if I can.

I had the same problem with Windows 11 and a Lenovo laptop. Tried working on it for hours, without success. I am starting to think this late model Lenovo laptop doesn't have a built in microphone, or my Bose 700 series headphones "took out" the Lenovo internal microphone- if in fact this higher end laptop has a built in microphone.

The only solution I found was to buy a USB microphone from Walmart for about $40 USD.

For whatever reason, Windows isn't detecting my microphone. I have always had zoom on my laptop, and it has worked fine. Few days ago, the app video was working just fine, but the other person couldn't hear me. It is not zoom settings; I can use zoom app on my phone and everything is fine. When I go into the Device Manager inside Control Panel, the only thing listed under "Audio Inputs or Outputs" is the speaker. Under Windows Optional Updates, I ran an update check for drivers but there was nothing. I did go to the HP site (this is an HP computer) and downloaded the only audio file driver they had, but after it is unpacked, nothing happens (perhaps it is not detecting a driver or device installed?). There is a Windows audio troubleshooter, but it wasn't able to resolve the issue either.

Any suggestions? I like being able to use zoom from my laptop instead of my phone, so I'd like to troubleshoot this if I can.
Did you allow microphone access to the specific apps (e.g., Zoom, Teams, etc.) that you want to use the microphone function on?

Windows 11 Microphone Access

Same issue here with my Lenovo while trying to get my Google Phone app to work. Didn't know there was a USB microphone available. I'll check into that as well.

Well FWIW, I plugged an external usb mike into the laptop and it worked fine. Too bad, this computer is not that old (May 2022). I don't think I've ever had a microphone go out before like this.

If it's one of the business models of HP, you might be able to easily change our the mic/webcam combo.

A headset or especially old pair of air pods do wonders for audio quality of all zoom mates especially in group calls. I find this my go to when something amiss.

I can’t help you with Windows was forced to use Mac years back at work.

Back