2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 3.8L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start with a little vehicle history. The vehicle is a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS. 174k miles. I am the second owner, my aunt was the first. I got the car with 118k. When I purchased it, the engine had a slight rod knock. I knew the engine was going to fail just a matter of time. Unfortunately at 174k the engine did fail.

Suffered from catastrophic bearing failure. For those 56k miles I drove it I used Mobil 1 EP 10W30/K&N Filter or Amsoil Signature Series 10W30/Amsoil Filter. 5K OCI.
With the new engine I am starting out fresh and on the fence on what kind and type of oil I should be using.

After break in process should I go back to my 5K OCI habit with the same oil or use conventional and a 3K OCI?

I'm open for suggestions.

Last edited:
Considering it has 174k, the 2nd engine will outlast the rest of the car. I would just use a cheap (yet good) oil for a moderate oci and not worry. My suggestion - any 5qt jug under $20 such as VWB or Maxlife.

I'd go for Mobil Super 5K 5W-30 or VWB 5W-30 for 4-5K OCIs.

Those 3.8s aren't known to die like that. Odd.

My aunt had it before me. If it was starved for oil or ran hot a few two many times. I'm not sure. From what happened, seems to be a good possibility.

I think 5000 mile OCI with the oil of your choice should suffice. U can go 7500 or more mile OCI with good synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I'd just use whatever name brand dino is on sale and call it a day.

+1 - if nothing is on sale, SuperTech 10W-30 dino is fine.

Synthetic 5w30 would be superior to the 10w30 for cold starting. 5k runs with your favorite synthetic plus all Fram TG well make it last forever.

I'd run the (dexos approved) Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5w-30 with a quality filter, and change it every 5,000 miles. Problem solved.

This stuff is 50% synthetic, and is only a couple bucks more than conventional yellow bottle Pennzoil. I'm running it in two GM 5.3 V8's, a Chrysler 3.8 V6, and a Ford 6.8 V10.

If it is good enough for a new Corvette... then it is good enough here.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would be more concerned with the 174K 4T65E living behind a lower mileage engine.

Beat me to it.

I had a 2001 impala with tis engine, 177,000 miles on it when I traded.

These engines were spec'ed for 10w-30 oil. Any modern oil is good enough, but I use synthetic in all my engines.

I have used 5/30 & 10/30 dino and synthetic in my Series 2 supercharged 3800 throughout the years. It will do fine on any recommended above. My vehicle liked the QSUD the best as rated by the purrt, butt dyno and unofficial mpg test.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Any API SN 5w30 at 5k intervals for the life of the car.

I thought the Series II called for 10W-30? I know the 3800 Series II in my Firebird is speced to use 10W-30 in temperatures above freezing, and 5W-30 for the winter. Granted, I highly doubt it matters much in the grand scheme of things but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Yes, good mention on the 4T65 Trav...

That said, good luck with it OP!

I hope it holds on for a while. I installed a Triple Edge Performance Shift Improvement kit, change the filter, fluid and has a tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back