0W30 in Chrysler 4.0 that calls for 10W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I would stay with the spec'd weight myself. 30 weight is 30 weight but going to 0W from the spec'd 10W, especially with the OP living in Southern Florida where it gets so hot, to me is not something I would do. 5W30 maybe. I would actually stick with the 10W30 myself if I lived there. 0W30 might lead to some oil consumption.

Interestingly, the M1 0w30 has a higher viscosity at 100C than the M1 10w30.

So, in addressing your concern, the lower viscosity 10w30 might lead to increased consumption, while the use of the higher viscosity 0w30 might reduce consumption. Given the quicker flow at start up (true even in FL), the 0w30 looks like the better choice.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-30.aspx#

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_10W-30.aspx

Admittedly, 10.9 isn't a lot more than 10.1, but it is significant and belies the common misconception that, "a 0wXX is thinner than a 10wXX"...which is simply not true....

So, for bubba time. I think the M1 0w30 AFE is an excellent choice for your engine.

Last edited:
The answer is on the front of the bottle: Warranty protection for 5W/30 and 10W/30 apps.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: 29662
0W-30 AFE is a very good oil.

But it sure don't work good in Pontiacs! UOA

So you are condemning an oil for an entire brand based on a UOA you did on a 21 year old car that by your own admission sat for "about" 5 years. That is neither scientific nor useful to the overall discussion. Have you done compression tests(wet and dry)? Have you pulled the heads or the oil pan to do a summary inspection? Or are you just assuming its the oils fault?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The only explanation I've ever seen for Chysler having recommended 10W-30 for this engine is that they were concerned that a minimum HTHSV be met.

That or shear resistance are about the only actual reasons I can think of, aside from just "legacy wording" in the manuals. But, we don't see much difference in HTHS between 5w-30 and 10w-30 ILSAC grades, and if I recall correctly, M1 5w-30 has a higher HTHS than their 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Whether the OP sees the improved fuel economy he appears to be aiming for is another matter.

I don't doubt it'll be there. It'll be virtually impossible to measure, much less notice.

Chrysler has had several engines they spec'd 10w30 for long after 5w30 was heavily used. I can only conclude concerns about shear were the basis for it, hardly a concern with a top quality full syn like it could be with a cheap 5w30 dino.

I agree. I use M1 0W-30 in all my OPE and it does not show abnormal consumption at all, nor does it in the cars I use it in.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I would stay with the spec'd weight myself. 30 weight is 30 weight but going to 0W from the spec'd 10W, especially with the OP living in Southern Florida where it gets so hot, to me is not something I would do. 5W30 maybe. I would actually stick with the 10W30 myself if I lived there. 0W30 might lead to some oil consumption.

Interestingly, the M1 0w30 has a higher viscosity at 100C than the M1 10w30.

So, in addressing your concern, the lower viscosity 10w30 might lead to increased consumption, while the use of the higher viscosity 0w30 might reduce consumption. Given the quicker flow at start up (true even in FL), the 0w30 looks like the better choice.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-30.aspx#

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_10W-30.aspx

Admittedly, 10.9 isn't a lot more than 10.1, but it is significant and belies the common misconception that, "a 0wXX is thinner than a 10wXX"...which is simply not true....

So, for bubba time. I think the M1 0w30 AFE is an excellent choice for your engine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
I have tried it in mine without noticing any difference in gas milage.

What about the noise? Any strange engine noises?

All syns seem to be a bit noisier in mine, especially at start up, compared to the dealer bulk I tried once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back