Mobil Super 5000 after using Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous owner of the car in my sig used Castrol GTX 5w-30 and a Fram OCOD I am using Mobil Super 5000 and a Pureone filter...wondering if anyone has noticed any cleaning when switching to MS5k from Castrol GTX?

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Previous owner of the car in my sig used Castrol GTX 5w-30 and a Fram OCOD I am using Mobil Super 5000 and a Pureone filter...wondering if anyone has noticed any cleaning when switching to MS5k from Castrol GTX?

Noticed a little bit in a 2003 Monte Carlo, Mobil 5k is good stuff. My fiance used GTX before I started changing it. I switched it to Mobil 5k. Check out bitog member 2010_FX4. He has had some good uoa's with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noticed a little bit in a 2003 Monte Carlo, Mobil 5k is good stuff. Check out bitog member 2010_FX4. He has had some good uoa's with it.[/quote]

Thanks. Yea I have seen them...very impressive. For an oil that is $12.97 a jug at wm.

Update: It's been about 2600 miles and still looks very light in color on a white napkin when checking it. Hoping that means not much cleaning to do. Engine has between 148k-149k.

What I don't get is, if Mobil 5000 is so good, then why is it amongst one of the cheapest conventionals, often cheaper than walmart supertech or maijer brand oil or autozone oil, if it's so good, whereas castrol is priced the same as pennzoil yellow bottle or other "premium conventionals"

why is castrol priced like a "premium" oil yet is worse whereas mobil is "bettet" yet priced like supertech, like a bargain oil?

Originally Posted By: engineer20
What I don't get is, if Mobil 5000 is so good, then why is it amongst one of the cheapest conventionals, often cheaper than walmart supertech or maijer brand oil or autozone oil, if it's so good, whereas castrol is priced the same as pennzoil yellow bottle or other "premium conventionals"

why is castrol priced like a "premium" oil yet is worse whereas mobil is "bettet" yet priced like supertech, like a bargain oil?

Purchase price at a retail level doesn't reflect on the quality of goods as much as it has to do with popularity,and charging what the retailer feels the market will bear.

For example yes pyb is a great oil however so is qsud,and Mobil 5000 and I would bet my left one that using any of the mentioned brands exclusively and changing the oil at 5000 mile intervals all 3 would perform identically in 3 identically run engines.
Yet the pyb costs more?
Why you may ask?
It's because public perception is that pyb is a premium conventional and qsud is in some way inferior in the public eye and therefore cannot command the same price.
Honestly. At 5000 mile intervals use the cheapest dexos 5w-30 you can find. They will all perform the same.

Originally Posted By: engineer20

Depends where you are. Castrol GTX is always on sale here somewhere, and it's not hard to find it cheaper than ST just about every day of the week. On the other hand, Mobil Super 1000 (our Mobil conventional) is a little harder to find at retail, and Walmart hasn't carried it for years.

Ever noticed how big Mobil's display section is in the store? Mobil likely met a price point that Walmart asked for on their conventional oil to earn that big section. I know a couple companies that do that. Plus it gives Mobil the chance to lure new customers. Even if they make little to no profit on their basic oil, They get their name out their and in peoples minds. When those people buy premium oils they are likely to stay brand loyal. Kind of like voting for who is already in office. I am sure the profits on their other products make up the difference.

Depends on where you are, I'd guess. I'll have to check next time I have to go to Wally, but I remember there being a larger, more eye-level display for Pennzoil, while MS5K was at the bottom.

I'm glad that there are things at play helping keep the price at under $13!

where i am, mobil 5000 (clean or super) is consistently cheaper (when it's not on sale @ regular price) in autozone, meijer, walmart, o'reilly's etc
often cheaper than store brand oil, like o'reilly's oil, or meijer oil, etc

i just wondered why it'd be so cheap if it was "better" than store brand supertech and the like, type oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back