What oil for my modified 460?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm surprised you didn't convert it roller
21.gif

Me too.

The engine shop wanted to but I poo-poo'ed it because it was $$$ and I didn't want that much changed in the engine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Just talked to the shop that built the engine, they said that I need a 20w-50 for that engine with the temps we have down here.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Amsoil Z-Rod 20W-50.

Mobil 1 15w50 is what you want. I am not sure your engine shop knows as much as oil as some of our members but if you need a 50 grade the Mobil 1 15w50 can be purchased at some places in jugs or on sale with specials like 5 quarts plus filter sales for one price.

Redline makes some nice 15w50 and 20w50 oils too. I bet their 10w40 would be more than adequate though.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=8&pcid=21

Okay, you sold me, I'm going with the Mobil 1 15w-50. I wasn't looking forward to $12 a qt for the Amsoil Z-Rod. I will still be changing it when I can smell a lot of fuel in the oil or it looks filthy. Cheap insurance!
smile.gif

Good choice on the M1 15W-50. Hopefully your local Walmart carries it in the 5 quarter for $25. Just go in the TLE entrance so you don't have to walk through the entire store.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
any more ?
or quite a bit more ?
before pitting may start to occur...

The exact level, as stated by a tribologist, I believe he stated 1500 ppm is max. I know the SG oils (1993) had around 1200 ppm, Shell Rotella T in 2006 used 1400 ppm, M1 0W-40 runs 1100 ppm, and experts generally say "more causes problems, don't do that".

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
any more ?
or quite a bit more ?
before pitting may start to occur...

The exact level, as stated by a tribologist, I believe he stated 1500 ppm is max. I know the SG oils (1993) had around 1200 ppm, Shell Rotella T in 2006 used 1400 ppm, M1 0W-40 runs 1100 ppm, and experts generally say "more causes problems, don't do that".

So "any more causes pitting" means "any more than 25% more than that causes pitting"

A bit of a scare tactic don't you think to shy people off ?

A bit of a scare tactic don't you think to shy people off ?

I've always argued against going much above 1300 ppm, with 1500 ppm being more of a hard limit. There are a couple of things I wonder, though, and maybe Mola will wander in here and help out. These higher concentrations of ZDDP are stated to be corrosive. That's one of the reasons used as to why people shouldn't use race oils in their daily drivers. However, most race oils also lack a significant TBN reserve. Might that also contribute.

So, what differences might we see with a ZDDP content above 1500 ppm in a race oil versus above 1500 ppm in a "normal" oil with a TBN of 8 or higher? We should also note that many of the oils of yesteryear did not very high ZDDP levels. The limits were higher, but blenders weren't bumping against those limits routinely, either.

Garak, my limits are a bit further than your, but still stop at 1,400, which seems to be where the piston aircraft engines ran into strife, with as per your discussion, lower TBNs etc. than PCMOs.

I know alot of people are hung up on the ZDDP thing, But I think any over the counter oil with 1000ppm of zddp will work great for you. I know plenty of guys with very powerful engines that are not as anal as we Bitogers are about oil and NONE of them ever have oil related failures. They all race and push the engines to the limit with no failures. The only one I know of is my buddy snapped his harmonic balancer off at the shaft last year while making a run. Had to replace crank and engine looked great. He runs Mobil 1 10/30 from Wally World. His other car runs Valvoline VR1 in it. Again with no problems.

Garak, my limits are a bit further than your, but still stop at 1,400, which seems to be where the piston aircraft engines ran into strife, with as per your discussion, lower TBNs etc. than PCMOs.

That's why when I was wondering about RP HPS 5w-30 for my old F-150 since it's now on the shelf at my supplier (yeah, like I'd really put a synthetic in there, much less a boutique
wink.gif
), I found a VOA on here that said about 1700 ppm zinc. I just about fell off my chair.

So, considering that isn't really a race oil but is suitable for longer drains, I really wonder about that level. Is it a lab error, or is RP being nuts, or do they know something we don't (as in we, the non-formulator posters)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back